iWANNAgoHIGHER. emsteez forreal's Avatar

Default getting stripped from behind

idk if anyone else has this problem, but a lot of the people in my area reach around you right as you get past them and poke the ball out. i've never seen video of this happening so i can't really analyze how to prevent it. any thoughts?

Default Re: getting stripped from behind

Quote Originally Posted by emsteez forreal
    idk if anyone else has this problem, but a lot of the people in my area reach around you right as you get past them and poke the ball out. i've never seen video of this happening so i can't really analyze how to prevent it. any thoughts?
    haha, im the guy who pokes the ball out as you drive past me.

Okay, for starters, if they are poking the ball out from behind you it means you just beat them and made them leave their broken ankles and/or jockstrap on the floor. Sometime they may pull a bullfighter fake and let you drive by to get the wrap-around poke, but usually it just means that they got behind you as you were on your way to the basket.
    Once you do go by them and they fall back and around to the point where you know they could be considering the poke, cross it over to the other hand. Its mostly all about timing and being good with both hands, but then after the failed poke they have lost momentum and you should be getting defenders collapsing, setting up the quick toss underneath.

If I ever play you, forget what I just said...

Learning to shoot layups

Agreed. Switching to the other hand is the counter to the poke from behind.

My Game's Nucking Futs The_Night_Elf's Avatar

Keeping your dribble low will help to an extent as well but really imedietly switching hands is your best option.

I usually hit open layups the.powerhouse's Avatar

yea, switch hands. if that's not possible though, because of another defender that could steal the ball, you will have to use your body as a barrier. This is a tough thing to learn, and requires a lot of anticipation and awareness, but is also the most efficient way of dealing with this kind of situation.

Also most players that are beaten anticipate a direct drive to the basket, so you can confuse them by moving either left or right. This only makes sense in a team game though, not in a one-on-one, where the hand switch should be enough.

Learning to shoot layups

use ur body as a shield

I have a high dribble, so when I turn the corner I usually lower my body and dribble immediately after passing.

I also just pick up my dribble sometimes. I have long legs and can get to the rim with two strides if I can beat my man anywhere around the key.

Post, face up, two hard dribbles to pass, pick up and finish.

Learning to shoot layups

If you're already past your man, and none of the above techniques work, you should just try to power away from him. He's gonna have to be an incredible player to carry out the poke at a full sprint

__________________________________________________ _________________
    11 ideas to improve your mental ability in basketball.
    http://www.best-basketball-tips.com/...an-within.html

Plus, lots of FREE stuff at:
    www.best-basketball-tips.com

Saw a basketball once

They pretty much covered it, just switch hands on the dribble when the time is right, or keep a lower dribble. I'm only 5'6" and have a naturally low dribble, which helps in those cases.

It's often a reach call but streetball its pretty much allowed.

Local High School Star tastystaci's Avatar

I would say that once you turn the corner, keep the ball low and out in front. The only way that the reach around works is when you keep the ball to the side as you beat somebody. Idk if switching hands is your best bet, since against some defenders, you'll just be bringing the ball right back in their area.

Saw a basketball once

It's those guys with the long arms that can get you from time to time, or you're just not taking care of the ball. Like they all said, you can swith hands after you go past them. You should expect something like this. It's "cop out" defense, but it gets people who aren't paying attention. You can also just change direction a bit, while keeping it in the same dribble hand that way you're not where they are reaching