Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Greg Monroe free agency situation

Monroe was asked about his contract situation and seemed vague about what could happen.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default Re: Greg Monroe free agency situation

The longer this drags out the more we are burning the bridge with Moose, unfortunately... Sure he is a smart dude and knows it is a business, but he must be feeling somewhat disrespected considering he was ment to be the Pistons top priority, yet the Pistons have made numerous moves and Moose is still out in the dark...

I'm a bit confused. Have we sent him an offer or not? Why have no teams sent him an offer? Why would us matching another teams offer scare other teams from making an offer? Will that set exactly how much another team must trade in salary back to us and that scares them?

I don't know what is going on with this at all anymore. It's gotten to the point where I think it's starting to be childish on both sides. If he was really a priority, josh Smith would be gone. Screw that equal value crap they are trying to feed us. He hindered us. I don't think SVG really wants Monroe. So we are just looking for fair trade value, but maybe we should see it as take what we can get and such up or losses. We've lost out on some key free agents already. End this saga.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    The longer this drags out the more we are burning the bridge with Moose, unfortunately... Sure he is a smart dude and knows it is a business, but he must be feeling somewhat disrespected considering he was ment to be the Pistons top priority, yet the Pistons have made numerous moves and Moose is still out in the dark...
    Nah, this is pretty normal stuff. Nobody is alienated or disrespected here. NO bridges burned. A similar caliber player, Nikola Pekovic, signed mid August last year. They both just want to get the best deal.

Surely Moose is higher on the NBA hierarchy than Pekovic??

Decent college freshman

Why? Actually Pekovic is probably better.

4 and a half years younger, more complete / versatile low post scorer, higher ceiling as he is still clearly developing, much better passer, can play dual positions...

Don't get me wrong, I love what Pek brings, elite size and power at the C, good to great low post defender, knows what he is good at and sticks to it, seems like a good team player...

I think it is 50/50 in regards to Moose being a max player or not in this league, where as Pek I think quite a few people were surprised to see him get 12 mill per...

But I guess it is definitely debatable,

Decent college freshman

The age is about all he has going for him IMO. He's a similar style scorer(down low only), and scores more and more efficiently. Similar rebounders and Pek has the edge defensively, though he's only average there IMO.

Gortat got 12 per year, Jefferson got 13, Ibaka got 12, Favors got 11(I like him better than Monroe myself). I just can't really find a market for a guy like Monroe at more than 12 mil per. Especially since people want 4s who can shoot and 5s who can protect the rim these days. He's going to need to find a perfect fit.

NBA lottery pick

Favors isn't even close to Monroe.

Anyway it sounds like Monroe will be gone after next season anyhow. We better trade him before the deadline now. He's going to sign the qualifying offer and become an unrestricted FA next season. It sounds like SVG doesn't want him that bad, and it also sounds like Monroe wants to go to a team with a chance to win. Obviously the Pistons aren't going to be in the thick of things for quite a while so I don't blame him there. We need to move him so we don't let him walk for nothing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...mming-national

Decent college freshman

I doubt any GM in the league would trade Favors for Monroe.

I'd take Favors over Monroe in a heartbeat,

Higher ceiling purely due to his two way potential. Has a chance to be elite of defense, still extremely young and raw and has a lot of room to grow his skillset

NBA lottery pick

It's irrelevant who's better. We still have to trade Monroe at this point. Maybe a contender would throw us a first round pick. I'm not sure what we can get for him anymore. He's not going to have a big contract so it can't bring a big time player unless the Pistons offer someone else too. The team that gets him will want to make sure he signs long term and the main reason they would want to do the trade is for that. It's extremely rare for this to happen. That shows me how much a deal won't get done in Detroit. It looks like the Pistons are committed to Smith at PF.

Decent college freshman

Its not irrelevant in the context it was discussed.

If he signs a QO, I doubt he ends up traded.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    Its not irrelevant in the context it was discussed.

If he signs a QO, I doubt he ends up traded.
    You'd rather have him walk for nothing?

NBA lottery pick

Apparently Monroe turned down two max deals this offseason because the other teams didn't have enough to sign and trade and he was scared the Pistons would match.

http://www.thescore.com/news/554726

It seems like he really wants out. I can't blame him. The front court is jammed. It's just a real bummer we're going to lose out on more talent. (By the way since everyone wants to make the comparison, Derrick Favors got 4 years 47 million).