Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2015 Raptors Summer League Thread

The last two years of Raptors' draftees are expected to be attending this years NBA summer league. It'll be interesting to see how Bruno does after a whole year of development under the Raptors' coaching staff. I'm also interested in how well Delon Wright can shoot the ball and what Norman Powell can bring to the Toronto Raptors.

Aside from the Raptors' draftees attending, I am also interested in seeing what Phil Scrubb can bring. After dominating school at Carlton in the CIS, I am curious to see if he can work his way into a roster spot in the NBA.

Overall, with the amount of Raptors' talent on the roster, this year's summer league team will be something we should keep tabs on.
    Last edited by kmart; 06-28-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Local High School Star

Default Re: 2015 Raptors Summer League Thread

+ 1

Gr8 thread.

Indeed it will further be interesting to see :

1) If this represents the majority or all of the NBDL franchise ~ summer league straight into the Mississauga Raptor905 or Commuters or what ever.

2) That vacant roster spots are assigned to incoming FA or resignings ?

Tie-ing this thread into the offseason thread:

Perhaps Lou's money is coming from Vasquez contract.

Amir likely to be back on a cap friendly deal?

I assume we then also keep one of Cedric or Tyler

If this line up ends up being the core of the NBDL team - that leaves us 5 ~ 6 full roster spots open to fill :

(1) Vasquez (2) Bruno (3) Bebe (4) Landry Fields (5) one of Cedric or Tyler and (7) back up PG if Delon doesnt make the big team.

Tomislav Zubcic, a Raptors second round pick from 2012, is expected to join the Raptors Summer League team this year.

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
    Tomislav Zubcic, a Raptors second round pick from 2012, is expected to join the Raptors Summer League team this year.
    Zubcic has been traded for Ridnour, who will likely have his team option declined.

Lightbulb Re: 2015 Raptors Summer League Thread

First game is about 11 days from now.

Banned

I am curious about Noguiera and when he can start contribute, i think he'll rock this summer league and maybe get some more minutes next year, i also can't wait to see how's bruno improving

The official roster has been announced.

First summer league game goes today at 6:30 ET

I don't have NBA TV Canada right now but I'm hoping it's on a stream I can borrow.

Wright and Powell both looked good. Wright needs to shoot better and Powell need better vision while driving the basket, Powell tends to miss the open man when he drives.

Game 2 and the Raptors are still dominant.

I love the aggression Powell plays with. He will be an NBA player with his defensive intensity alone, add that to the fact he's a better mid range shooter than Tomy Allen already and you have a player.

Delon Wright is one crafty player with the ball. He's a complete wizard with the ball. I hope he sees some time as the back up PG with Joseph/Lowry playing the off guard, because he will break down some defences in the NBA. He just had a P&R with Bebe that resulted in an alley oop.

Bebe needs work offensively, but is already a excellent rebounder. I haven't seen much rim protecting from him ,yet.

Bruno has turned into a really nice shooter. His ball IQ is very low with some awful shot selection, some time in the D-League will help him out with that. He'll need work on his ball handling as well.

NBA lottery pick

Yea another great game from Powell, he's been surprising.

NBA lottery pick

Wright missed the third game with a sore hamstring. Doesn't sound like anything serious, but no reason to risk it just for summer league. Bruno was rough, wasn't really doing anything on offense besides stand out on the three point line, and he wasn't hitting much. Nogueira was solid, probably his best game so far. Doesn't really look for his own offense, but 13 rebounds and 4 blocks in 23 minutes is what you like to see from him. Powell was great again, even had a couple highlight alley-oops.

Norman Powel Full SL Hightlights 2015.07.13 vs Rockets - 19 Pts, NASTY Dunks & Blocks!
    Last edited by Kungfro; 07-14-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfro
    Wright missed the third game with a sore hamstring. Doesn't sound like anything serious, but no reason to risk it just for summer league. Bruno was rough, wasn't really doing anything on offense besides stand out on the three point line, and he wasn't hitting much. Nogueira was solid, probably his best game so far. Doesn't really look for his own offense, but 13 rebounds and 4 blocks in 23 minutes is what you like to see from him. Powell was great again, even had a couple highlight alley-oops.
    I think Bebe was the best player for the Raptors tonight. He also lead the team in assists. Powell is doing great, he will get a contract. Roberts a close 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfro
    I think Bruno really needs to develop is the ability to read the game at a NBA level. He never got the chance to play many meaningful minutes this past year and it really shows with his poor sense of passing, dribbling, and even shot selection. The good thing is that Raptors' 905 will be a tool he can use to further develop these skills, because I don't think he'll get it in practice.

Overall, if he improves his court awareness and is able to pick up the speed NBA players play with, I think he has a good chance as a 3 and D type of player. You can see the progression with his shot, strength, and even baby steps defensively. However, some quality time in the D-League will be beneficial for him.

On the flip side, Powell plays the game at a high pace. I know its summer league, but after watching him I think of one of those "heart of a defence" type of players. Think DeMarre Carroll or Tony Allen. This guy can defend and with a huge wingspan he may be able to guard the 1-3 positions for the Raptors.

He attacks the rim with a very explosive first step, think Wade with absolutely zero court awareness to find the open teammate. Very nice pick up by Masai, but on the flip side he was 0-2 from 3PT, and had zero assists. It's also summer league, so I need to temper my expectations, but its hard when he threw 3-4 amazing in game dunks in 20 minutes.