Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default If the Skyhook is so effective, how come PF / Centers don't use it in the current era

Now imagine Anthony Davis or another player adding it to their game, I just don't understand why players dont try at least.

Banned

Default Re: If the Skyhook is so effective, how come PF / Centers don't use it in the current era

rule changes/ zones/ big man position is dead/ layups or threes are the only things teams go for now

Banned

Default Re: If the Skyhook is so effective, how come PF / Centers don't use it in the current era

It's really hard to learn. Kareem was doing that move since he was a little kid. Centers today don't even have basic post skills and footwork down. How can you expect them to know how to do a consistent sky hook?

I use the sky hook all the time on the black top. It's too bad i'm < 6' tall. If I were a 7-footer, I could be one of the GOAT centers. Dead serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    It's really hard to learn. Kareem was doing that move since he was a little kid. Centers today don't even have basic post skills and footwork down. How can you expect them to know how to do a consistent sky hook?
    Because, you'd think they would practice it from youth since its very effective.

If I were a dad, I'd be trying to teach my son that move from the get go

Kareem had the length size and touch to be able to pull it off consistently.

shhhhhhh

Because it's not cool...

Still an effective shot, would be deadly in the right hands but high school kids don't want to put in the time to build a proper foundation that will pay benefits 5 years down the line

it's not just the sky hook, it's a lot of basic basketball skills that are not being instituted young enough

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    Because it's not cool...

Still an effective shot, would be deadly in the right hands but high school kids don't want to put in the time to build a proper foundation that will pay benefits 5 years down the line

it's not just the sky hook, it's a lot of basic basketball skills that are not being instituted young enough
    Exactly. Its not cool.

If Hibbert practiced 2000 sky hooks a day over the summer, you're telling me he couldn't go into next season dropping buckets with it?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Exactly. Its not cool.

If Hibbert practiced 2000 sky hooks a day over the summer, you're telling me he couldn't go into next season dropping buckets with it?
    I think people underestimate the fluidity and coordination necessary to pull it off. hibbert has difficulty getting free for a two footed hook shot.. now we're gonna see him glide grac3fully across the lane and take off on one foot.. Kareem sky hook looks like a ballerina pose or something.. it takes an extreme level of full body coordination flexibility etc that most 7 foot clunkers don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Exactly. Its not cool.

he'd have to improve his footwork to get position first .... and here lies the problem... it's very hard to isolate the low post these days and refs are rarely calling help D strips as fouls, that's why you either have the FASTER layup, the SAFER dunk or the kickout. sad but true .

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    I think people underestimate the fluidity and coordination necessary to pull it off. hibbert has difficulty getting free for a two footed hook shot.. now we're gonna see him glide grac3fully across the lane and take off on one foot.. Kareem sky hook looks like a ballerina pose or something.. it takes an extreme level of full body coordination flexibility etc that most 7 foot clunkers don't have.

Well said. The rhetoric on this one particular move is very interesting. One the one hand it's a move used a lot by the highest scoring player of all time, so it has to be an incredibly effective move. On the other hand though, it's a shot only used consistently buy one player ever, so obviously it's one of the hardest moves of all time to master effeciently.

^

Not to mention the level of consistency needed to make it effective every game. Kareem was truly one of a kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    ^This... Talk about it being cool or not and so on, but that above is the bottom line.

Kareem had it down to a science, developed it with both hands, plenty of range on it, he was also 7'2 and very athletic, knew how to protect the ball and release it at the peak of his jump, off of his fingertips... One of the main reasons he's the all-time leading scorer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    rule changes/ zones/ big man position is dead/ layups or threes are the only things teams go for now
    Grizzlies.

It takes a lot of skill, coordination, and fluidity/finesse to use the skyhook effectively. Most bigs don't have those tools. I saw Pau pull a nice sky hook in game 2. He's one of the few who have the ability.