Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

Default Re: Chris Nolan / Zack Snyder "MAN OF STEEL"

Was always a little bit on the fence about Superman-related media, but the latest trailer looks really good and interesting. Will probably go see it.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

So long as they don't try to make it grim and gritty, or the "realistic version" then it should be at the very least decent.

I think it has potential, that trailer seems to tease more at the Superman as an outsider storyline which I think could work extremely well.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Well, it was strange, I mean it doesnt look anything like a superman I saw before. Looking forward.

I dont see the appeal behind superman

Real Men watch CBM

Few concerns, from what others have been saying in cbm forums:

#1 - Clark's dad, Jonathan Kent (Kevin Costner's) line about maybe letting the kids die, that didn't sit very well. Too overly dramatic.

#2 - The last line about being rejected by the world, can you say X-Men? They're going with the whole "people are afraid of you."

#3 - Superman de-humanization by being taken into custody, etc. feels like the studio will be force feeding us the audience of the relatability of Superman, kind of like "hey guys, we know Superman is so powerful and all but look, he has feelings too." It's fine, I just hope they don't keep shoving it in our faces throughout the film.

Liked the trailer, but didn't love it.

That trailer was more like an extended teaser, not a single scene that lasted for over 3 seconds, no real display of action or set pieces. Just overly dramatic narrative and emo Superman scenes, trailer felt like Family Guy with all the scene jumping.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Ehh.

Not bad but not impressed.

Superman movies becoming too Emo.

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan-esque
    #1 - Clark's dad, Jonathan Kent (Kevin Costner's) line about maybe letting the kids die, that didn't sit very well. Too overly dramatic.
    Why is that overly dramatic? He's essentially saying be careful who you show these abilities to because it will frighten people and they will come for you.

He then says "whatever type of person you choose to be, good character or bad, you'll change the world"

Unlike Jor-El who says "hey, you're destined to do this', Pa-Kent is saying "this is your decision on who to be" ... he's giving the control of his life BACK to Clark. That's a great father figure. He's just reminding him of potential reactions.

2 - The last line about being rejected by the world, can you say X-Men? They're going with the whole "people are afraid of you."
    Can you say SUPERMAN?

This element has been in the comics for quite sometime. Especially the good ones IE Birthright, etc.

Like all great Chris Nolan / David Goyer fantasies, they ask what would happen if you took this fantastic and completely un-realistic concept, and put it smack dab in the middle of OUR recognizable world. What would happen?

In TDK trilogy? Batman is hunted by the cops, the mob, master criminals, copy cat vigilantes, and terrorists. People's opinions differ on the value he brings to Gotham. Some believe it's good, some believe it's bad.

Needless to say, he has ACTUAL impact. It makes the material more serious, and for the audience believable. People, and events respond to his presence in our world. The audience in turn takes the drama more seriously, and makes things more exciting.

Same goes for Superman but to a greater extent. It's not just how one city reacts to him, Superman's abilities make him a GLOBAL THREAT if he wasn't such a good guy.

And the US military doesn't know if he's good or bad, so it makes sense they would seek out such a potential threat to our existence.

This makes the material more interesting, and GASP gives the most powerful mainstream superhero character obstacles to overcome. What if he has to fight the US military at the same time as having to save lives and battle Zod and an alien invasion.

He's polarizing because of his monumental abilities, so of course in reality some people would believe him to be a christ like figure, and others (possible majority) would be absolutely of afraid of a man with such god like abilities.

If anything, this LOGICAL approach to how people would react to a Superman figure makes things 100% more interesting. As opposed to Superman:TM where everyone blindly accepts him (apart from Luthor) ...

It adds nice tension, and angst within the character. Why is this a concern? And people being afraid of a powerful character isn't inherent to X-Men.

3 - Superman de-humanization by being taken into custody, etc. feels like the studio will be force feeding us the audience of the relatability of Superman, kind of like "hey guys, we know Superman is so powerful and all but look, he has feelings too." It's fine, I just hope they don't keep shoving it in our faces throughout the film.
    That's the only way that's plausible to relate an alien from another planet who has god like powers to the audience.

You humanize him by putting him through internal struggles as well as external. Who am I in this world? What's my niche? These questions Clark asks of himself are the same things we go through.

Him getting taken into custody by the US Military is just used to show Superman willingly trying to show folks he's not here to harm US ... he's not the Batman. He doesn't fight police officers.

He's trying to show people he's good natured. He's wholesome. A genuine good guy. He doesn't walk any line between hero and obsessive / frightening vigilante the way Batman does.

How his Superman being taken into custody de-humanizing him, btw? If anything, that is very consciously HUMANIZING him. A Man of Steel wouldn't be arrested if he didn't want to be. Regular people get arrested by people of authority all the time. Sometimes for misunderstood reasons.

LOVED the new teaser trailer. Clearly the "Batman Begins" but for Superman. Iconic casting, too. I love Kevin Costner, Russell Crowe, Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburn and especially Michael Shannon as actors.

This will easily be better than Iron Man 3, and all it's "Tony Stark Rises" rip off glory.

LMAO @ people confusing "emo" for internalization and character drama and growth. In fact, EMO actually means something entirely different.

Thank god we're done with the campy take on superheroes. Just play it straight. If not, and you want to make it ludicrous. Go all out and make it full blown camp. That's why I respect "Batman and Robin" more so than the other films. It had the balls to have purity of vision. Don't make a semi-serious film, with your tongue in cheek and not actually respect the material and the character.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Watching it a 2nd time, feels even more EMO than the last time.

@Money 23

Iron Man 3 has Ben Kingsley, the Man of Steel will fall. Besides, Nolan didn't direct it, doubt it will be as good as TDK trilogy with Snyder.

Lol you hating on Marvel too much, didn't you like First Class? They said they ****ed up with Iron Man 2, that's why 3 will be more like the original.

Not everything needs to be gritty, realistic and dramatic, as long as the movie is entertaining with great performances, I think we can be satisfied. Oh and Blade 2>Blade dawg, come at me.

I care more about the RT score, Man of Steel may end up higher than Iron Man 3. Anything with Nolan's name on it gets extra respect.

Looks good.

Not sure why it has to be a Marvel vs DC debate every time one of these movies come out.

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    Lol you hating on Marvel too much, didn't you like First Class?
    I'm talking about Marvel Studios. They deserve to be hated on ... Movies being made in marketing office think tanks for kids, instead of by film makers.

First Class was okay. Good in parts, but apart from Fassenberg it was whatever. Kevin Bacon as the villain was ridiculous. Un-intentionally funny, too.

It had a bunch of no name actors, C class roster of X-Men characters too. Like I said, good in parts but it isn't iconic or anything.

They said they ****ed up with Iron Man 2, that's why 3 will be more like the original.
    So they just want to re-make the original? Even without Faveraeu? And a visibly less interested Downey Jr?

RDJ looked bored as hell in Avengers. And his shtick wasn't as cute in IM 2 as it was in the original.

In the original he had the appropriate amount of charm, wit (without being annoying) with actual depth, character development, sincerity and nuance.

That was gone from his performance in both IM 2 and Avengers. Seemed like he said to hell with it, and was doing a caricature of himself instead.

IM 3 looks like one giant rip off of TDK Rises.

everything needs to be gritty, realistic and dramatic
    Where did I say everything needs to be gritty, dark, or dramatic?

I completely understand not every character is Batman. So the dark visuals, nihilistic undertones, noir type cinema, and tragic character arcs aren't a fit with every mythology.

But realism is a must, as is drama. Drama is what makes compelling stories and characters. Well, realism is the wrong word, plausibility is a must. Otherwise you're just making a campy, live action cartoon strictly for kids.

The best comic book movies, which are ADAPTATIONS of material, don't literally translate from page to screen. Like say that ridiculous CA costume in Avengers.

With real world people, actors, scenarios in order to make a movie more investment worthy, you take the fantastic characters and ideas and ADAPT them to the real world. Thus, making them plausible.

Thus there are a certain amount of changes that need to be made to make things believable or palatable. Otherwise, just make a full blown cartoon movie for kids.

That's why the first Iron Man works. It's plausible.

Oh and Blade 2>Blade dawg, come at me.
    On what grounds? The over the top, hyper stylized, idiosyncratic, redundant sequel made by the horrendous and ridiculously over the top "director" Guillermo Del Toro?

Blade 2 has moments, mainly because of Wesley Snipes complete ownage of that character, and the moments of levity from Ron Pearlman. Outside of that, the film is worse on every level.

That "gritty" feel is what gave the film such appeal, and gave it the cult following it deserved. Blade 2 takes things WAY over the top.

So maybe in essence, you prefer the more hyper stylized, campy, and cheesier take on comic book characters.

What?

I care more about the RT score, Man of Steel may end up higher than Iron Man 3. Anything with Nolan's name on it gets extra respect.
    Because his stuff deserves it. M.O.S. much like Batman Begins in 2005, is having to resurrect a franchise from beneath the earth. Going into a film w/o hype, and having to fight the demons of crappy movies that came before it an up hill battle.

IM 3 will get swarmed by the masses, and they'll think it's good even if it isn't. I mean hell, Avengers has like between 94% - 96% on RT. That movie was balls outside of the Hulk in the 3rd act.

I don't go by RT score in all cases. Some of them are way off ... as you can see.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Not sure why it has to be a Marvel vs DC debate every time one of these movies come out.

because DC

GOAT superhero movie

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Watchmen is up there for sure.

Slept on, too.
    It was groundbreaking IMO

I didn't realize it's greatness the first time I saw it, after the second and third time I then realized there is just nothing else like it