Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Top 5 natural talents all-time

When I mention natural talent, that does not automatically translate to success. Just want to list my top 5 and feel free to chime in. Anyway:

1)Vince Carter- everything about him screamed MJ. Elite scorer, attack the hoop at will, the explosiveness, the leaping ability, his ability to play D when he put in the effort, the shot blocking from his position, the ability to put up numbers and go off with seemingly little to no effort. But there was one thing Vince had that MJ didn't. Vince could shoot over 40% from downtown on a significant number of threes. Vince had the potential to be Michael Jordan with an elite three point shooting ability. Give Vince Kobe's heart and will to win, and I believe that's what Vince would have been.

2)Michael Jordan- IMO, the GOAT is 2nd to Vince Carter here. When MJ wanted to get something done, he got it done. Like Vince, he made things look so easy. But I still consider Vince to have slightly more NATURAL ability than MJ.

3)LeBron James- another player with Jordan comparisons. LeBron is a player with size, speed, strength, and flash. LeBron isn't the shooter Vince and MJ were, but he averages a near triple-ddouble and has for years...and does so regularly. He makes it look extremely easy. LeBron has been the only player I've ever seen to come straight out of high school and actually be ready to play in the pros. Even Kobe can't claim that.

4)Charles Barkley- a 6'5" guy playing the 4. Ability to score, rebound, pass, defend(when he put in the effort), and play all 5 positions. Barkley was putting up 25-27 PPG and pushing 60% from the field. One season, he hit 60% from the field. He had the natural ability to put up numbers on Shaq-like efficiency, had the versatility, was naturally strong as well, and was pretty much unstoppable when motivated. Barkley's only weakness had absolutely nothing to do with his skills. He was just an extremely lazy player who took many plays off. He could have been a top 5 player easily. If you look at #5 on the all-time list(figure Magic or Bird), there was no reason to think Barkley couldn't have been on that level if he wasn't so damn lazy.

5)Derrick Coleman- this one might catch most off guard, but I'll elaborate. DC was a guy that seemed to put up 20/10 without breaking a sweat. Zach Randolph is a lot like Coleman. It almost seemed like DC was saying "Yeah, I put up 20/10 tonight. No biggie". A big man with the ability to score, rebound, block shots, and shoot from the outside. With the dedication, he could have become a very good three point shooter as well. But he also got into trouble off the court and his best days were over once the Nets traded him.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Default Re: Top 5 natural talents all-time

David Robinson deserves a mention.

Tmac is easily number 1. He was more talented than Vince.

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54
    Tmac is easily number 1. He was more talented than Vince.

More talented after the work he put in, yes. As for natural talent, Vince has him by a country mile.

Facts Are Misleading

Natural talent? As defined by having things you are just "born" with?

Shooting is a skill, you can become better, or in some cases much better by practicing it.

1) Wilt......nobody was as tall, as naturally athletic in all phases (speed, jumping, agility, strength, etc) as he was.

2) Shaq

3) LeBron James

4) David Robinson - A physical freak of nature. His athletic ability/height combination has rarely ever been seen before, and was a huge part of why he was who he was as a player.

5) Magic Johnson - Regardless of what someone says, the passing gene is not something you can work on and become great at. The guys who have it, are born with it. It's natural to them. They see and feel things differently than anyone else. Those guys are usually 6'0 point guards. Magic was 6'9 with very long arms.

That combination of having the gene/height/size/long arms has never been seen before.

Vince is number one

after thinking about it

why couldnt Chris Paul be on there?

Wilt, Shaq, Magic, DRob, & KG

Warriors Til I Die LT Ice Cream's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    after thinking about it

why couldnt Chris Paul be on there?
    Chris Paul is where he is because he is one of the hardest workers in the NBA. Unless you're being sarcastic, Chris Paul has few natural gifts.

That being said, I would give Shawn Kemp an honorable mention. J.R. Smith is also one of those guys who has all the natural talent in the world, but is too cool to try.

Quote Originally Posted by LT Ice Cream
    Chris Paul is where he is because he is one of the hardest workers in the NBA. Unless you're being sarcastic, Chris Paul has few natural gifts.

That being said, I would give Shawn Kemp an honorable mention. J.R. Smith is also one of those guys who has all the natural talent in the world, but is too cool to try.
    I always felt JR Smith could be a 25-30 ppg. player. Dude just has the lowest basketball IQ, but has all the talent needed to be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    Natural talent? As defined by having things you are just "born" with?

Shooting is a skill, you can become better, or in some cases much better by practicing it.

1) Wilt......nobody was as tall, as naturally athletic in all phases (speed, jumping, agility, strength, etc) as he was.

2) Shaq

3) LeBron James

4) David Robinson - A physical freak of nature. His athletic ability/height combination has rarely ever been seen before, and was a huge part of why he was who he was as a player.

5) Magic Johnson - Regardless of what someone says, the passing gene is not something you can work on and become great at. The guys who have it, are born with it. It's natural to them. They see and feel things differently than anyone else. Those guys are usually 6'0 point guards. Magic was 6'9 with very long arms.

That combination of having the gene/height/size/long arms has never been seen before.
    Great list, I might put Vince over Magic in terms of natural talent.

David Thompson

Hakeem definitely belongs.

Unspeakable talent.

National High School Star

Coleman is always mentioned when it comes to people who didn't reach their potential because they were too damn lazy. Coleman didn't even reach half of his potential. He had 1st ballot HOFer written all over him.

Shaq is easily a top 5 natural talent in the NBA.

Magic Johnson as well.

Quote Originally Posted by miles berg
    Hakeem definitely belongs.

Unspeakable talent.
    Hakeem worked at his game hard, it wasn't natural talent at all. He's naturally athletic, but that is not a talent. Just ask Guy Lewis.