Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT: Does winning make you a better team than your opponent

So at work we were having a debate.

I argued that in sports, the team that wins isn't always the best team. Upsets happen and such, but I hear these people talk of the CFBNC game and say 'OSU won so they're the best team in college football'.

Well, no not really. I know this world puts so much emphasis on winning. Lebron could score 60 and lose and people would say he didn't do enough, or tried to do too much. Or he could score 20 and win, and somehow all is right in the world.

Me? When it comes to team sports, I don't put much emphasis on winning when it comes to analyzing individual players. For example: I think JJ Watt should be the MVP of the NFL. He won't win it, because his team didn't make the playoffs, but he is beyond a doubt the best player in the NFL.

If you've read my Demarcus Cousins thread, you already know I think he should be the MVP, and the only rebuttal I hear to that is 'the kings record sucks'.

So how much emphasis should we put on winning? In the NCAA MBB tournament, the best team SOMETIMES wins. In the NFL, the best team SOMETIMES wins. But sometimes a team who's not the best pulls the upset.

So is winning everything? To a player maybe, but as a fan, if you see your team play a great game, and still lose, can you really be mad?

Default Re: OT: Does winning make you a better team than your opponent

Why would i give mvp to someone who doesnt help win basketball games?
    Booger is garbage

Quote Originally Posted by AnaheimLakers24
    Why would i give mvp to someone who doesnt help win basketball games?
    Booger is garbage
    He does help you win games. What's the kings record without him? Worse than what it is now? Then he helps you win games.

But as I said, JJ Watt is not only the MVP this season, he is being talked about ALREADY as the greatest to ever play on that side of the ball. He's set numerous records this season, but he's not in the MVP talk because the rest of his team is doo doo.

I think that, potentially, the greatest defensive player to ever play the game, probably should be worthy of an MVP. Maybe I'm crazy. Extreme example I know, but an example nonetheless.

I am your soldier!

No winning doesn't mean you're better, but most people don't see that.

Portland was better than LA in 2000
    Kings were better than LA in 2002
    Spurs were better than MIA in 2013
    etc...

Match ups and luck have a lot to do with things like that.

Same thing with individuals. You can't blame KG for being on shitty Minnesota teams. You can't blame Mitch Richmond for being on the Kings.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Most of winning as a star is the effect you have on your teammates.. That's why individual Stat padders don't mean much and looking just at an individuals line is usually misleading.

NBA All-star

can the better team lose to an inferior team? yes.

should the stage of any performance matter? I suppose that's arguable given the first statement.

as for the best player being on a team that isn't going to win the MVP because the team isn't generating enough win.

maybe if you take away the whole concept of a "league" or any "league" for that matter.

then I suppose the argument about analyzing individual players makes much more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    So at work we were having a debate.

I argued that in sports, the team that wins isn't always the best team. Upsets happen and such, but I hear these people talk of the CFBNC game and say 'OSU won so they're the best team in college football'.

Well, no not really. I know this world puts so much emphasis on winning. Lebron could score 60 and lose and people would say he didn't do enough, or tried to do too much. Or he could score 20 and win, and somehow all is right in the world.

Me? When it comes to team sports, I don't put much emphasis on winning when it comes to analyzing individual players. For example: I think JJ Watt should be the MVP of the NFL. He won't win it, because his team didn't make the playoffs, but he is beyond a doubt the best player in the NFL.

If you've read my Demarcus Cousins thread, you already know I think he should be the MVP, and the only rebuttal I hear to that is 'the kings record sucks'.

So how much emphasis should we put on winning? In the NCAA MBB tournament, the best team SOMETIMES wins. In the NFL, the best team SOMETIMES wins. But sometimes a team who's not the best pulls the upset.

So is winning everything? To a player maybe, but as a fan, if you see your team play a great game, and still lose, can you really be mad?
    I don't watch Kings games but really? DMC? Better than Curry, Durant, etc?

And MVP is not = best player.

Does winning make you a better team than your opponent?

in regards to a playoff series, I think so...it ultimately decides who is the better team by going at each other for that many games.

single games, like RS match-ups and so forth...any team can win on any given day.

Quote Originally Posted by r15mohd
    Does winning make you a better team than your opponent?

in regards to a playoff series, I think so...it ultimately decides who is the better team by going at each other for that many games.

single games, like RS match-ups and so forth...any team can win on any given day.

Agreed, in a series, yeah. You don't go hot for 7 games AND the other team is cold for 7 games; you were just a better team.

Football though? There are plenty of cases where the best team didn't win the superbowl. You actually CAN get hot at the right time and beat a better team when it's single game.

So basically I agree with OP. You can't tell me the best college basketball team ALWAYS wins March madness. It doesn't work that way.

In individual games no, the upset might happen. For example NCAA, NFL.

In a series NO, you have 5-7 games to correct that single game upsets. Here almost always best team win.

And MVP =/= Best player. That

Love for MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MJistheGOAT
    In a series NO, you have 5-7 games to correct that single game upsets. Here almost always best team win.
    But there have been big playoff series upsets before. Memphis beating SA in the first round. Denver beating the #1 seeded Supersonics back in the days of Payton and Kemp.

Sometimes it's about matchups and who's playing well at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    But there have been big playoff series upsets before. Memphis beating SA in the first round. Denver beating the #1 seeded Supersonics back in the days of Payton and Kemp.

That was another point. Match ups matter.

Ohio State beat Oregon for the national championship, but I don't think for a second that OSU was the best team. They matched up well with Oregon, but may not against other teams.

I do think the NBA playoffs format is the best format for finding a true champion. In a single game, anything can happen.

Just like in boxing, styles makes fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk

That