Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

Default Re: Off season moves

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    Balls Out, Meeks is a team option player, if we don't want him we can just walk away.......that being said, it would be a very dumb thing to do since we only have to pay him 1.5 million next season. I would think you agree he's worth that small amount.

I'm huge on getting a new coach, I am not huge on just dumping Pau for nothing....KG and Courtney Lee...
    KG will turn 38 during the playoffs next year = Likely injury season = Malone = Nash. Haven't we learned anything?????
    Courtney Lee has 3 seasons left on his contract at $5.5 million per = no thanks.

Truth be told an intelligent coach would kill the league with 2 bigs like Pau and Dwight....they would be unstoppable if used properly.
    Lets see if dumb@ss Buss fires and gets an intelligent coach before thinking moves.

Don't resign Morris, Sacre or Johnson-odom???? Why...they make as much as Kobe's shoelaces combined.

f) Trade Meeks and Duhon to Golden State for Brandon Rush
    g) Sign Trevor Ariza using mini MLE, Elton Brand and Chris Douglas Roberts with vet mins

f & g......Good if we could actually pull it off.
    no idea why Ariza will leave 7.2 mil and sign for 3mil ???

NBA sixth man of the year

Balls Out, Meeks is a team option player, if we don't want him we can just walk away.......that being said, it would be a very dumb thing to do since we only have to pay him 1.5 million next season. I would think you agree he's worth that small amount.

I'm huge on getting a new coach, I am not huge on just dumping Pau for nothing....KG and Courtney Lee...
    KG will turn 38 during the playoffs next year = Likely injury season = Malone = Nash. Haven't we learned anything?????
    Courtney Lee has 3 seasons left on his contract at $5.5 million per = no thanks.

Truth be told an intelligent coach would kill the league with 2 bigs like Pau and Dwight....they would be unstoppable if used properly.
    Lets see if dumb@ss Buss fires and gets an intelligent coach before thinking moves.

Don't resign Morris, Sacre or Johnson-odom???? Why...they make as much as Kobe's shoelaces combined.

f) Trade Meeks and Duhon to Golden State for Brandon Rush
    g) Sign Trevor Ariza using mini MLE, Elton Brand and Chris Douglas Roberts with vet mins

f & g......Good if we could actually pull it off.
    Let's face it Mike isn't going anywhere, Mitch already stated that. They should just hire McMillan as the defensive coordinator. The only coaches I could think of that could integrate two bigs like Dwight and Pau are Adelman and Phil who won't take up the Lakers job. Adelman will most likely retire and Phil won't entertain that idea again after what happened last year.

I'm not the biggest Meeks guy. He's okay..but not much of a threat outside of the 3pt shot which has been inconsistent all year. I like his heart and hustle, but his defense leaves lot to be desired..I'd rather have Goudelock eat up all his minutes, at least he has more to his game, 3pt shot, floater, better d. Honestly Courtney Lee is miles ahead of both of these guys, really good defender and incredible athlete too. He's like a smarter version of Shannon Brown, a real game changer.

Gasol for KG and Lee is likely the best they can do for any Gasol trade at this point since New Orleans won't give up Anderson for Gasol. KG is still the best all around help/pick n roll defender at PF in the game.. Plus he has the money 12-17ft jumper unlike Pau..which would fit better with D12. KG already stated he'd only like to be traded to LA at the previous trade deadline. Assuming he doesn't retire, it'd be nice to see him and Kobe go out together on the same team. That team would be ferocious defensively..just a wet dream though

Morris is a bonehead. Sacre is a clown and Johnson-Odom, well he reminds me of Lamar Odom Why waste roster spots and money, especially when you're already over the tax threshold for guys who will barely see any playing time?

and yes I realize that the GS trade might be a stretch, but you figure Rush is looking for a longer term contract and GS is already stacked at the 2 and 3. The only players they should look at this offseason are gritty defenders that can knock down the 3 or have game changing athleticism: Trevor Ariza, Brandon Rush, Courtney Lee, Kirk Hinrich, Nate Robinson, Dorrell Wright, Shawn Marion, etc come to mind

1] Nash & Duhon to the Bucks for Luc Richard MBah A Moute & Ekpe Udoh. Lakers also receive the rights to Isaiah Cannan (43rd pick of the draft).

-Bucks use Jennings to get a player that would be a better fit. Nash can be the temporary point.
    -Lakers save $5 more in 2014, acquire a big with size and a nice defender at the three. Canaan is also someone I'm really high on in this draft.

2] Maintain Clark with a 3 year/12 million deal. Player Option for year 4. Keep Glock to a 2 year/2 million deal.

3] Drop the team option for Jodie Meeks

4] Sign Will Bynum to the Mini-MLE. Sign Roger Mason Jr. to Vet Minimum

5] Fire D'Antoni. Hire Dunleavy to a 3 year contract with the last two being options. Dunleavy would be a great fit with the two bigs.

6] Get injured player exception for Kobe to have 16 roster slots. Use $$ of exception to sign Nick Young to one year deal with a PO for year 2.

New DC:

CE: Dwight Howard | Jordan Hill | Ekpe Udoh
    PF: Pau Gasol | Earl Clark
    SF: Luc Richard MBah A Moute | Ron Artest
    SG: Nick Young | Andrew Glock | Roger Mason Jr.
    PG: Will Bynum | Steve Blake | Isaiah Canaan

With one open roster spot left.

All three shooting guards are damn good shooters and you have two good defenders at the three. Bynum/James/Canaan is a huge upgrade at the point guard slot, at least imo, since they are decent scorers and better defenders.

Dunleavy would do real well with this squad as well because he prefers to grind it out and he would flourish with Pau/Dwight down low.

Might just need a better shooter at the three.

Yeah, time for Metta to go.....maybe the ex Laker stealing Clippers will want him....lol..
    Hey, hey, hey. Who have we stolen besides Turiaf. Lest you forget that Matty boy and Khloe were Clippers to start their careers. Y'all stole them along with Radmanovic and Steve Blake

Local High School Star

we can sum it by saying CHANGE like Obama did a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Robster89
    Thanks brother, I appreciate that. My knowledge pales compared to yours though.

I know these trade discussions are highly unlikely to happen, but if you watched the Hawks/Pacer game today, Indiana's main flaw was really exposed: They lack a PG who can set up easy baskets for his teammates. Hill is not a true PG. Great player, and he will certainly get a lot of PT at the 1, but he is best utilized as a scorer. Acquiring Nash would actually make some sense for them. They could start Nash at PG and Hill at the 2, then move Hill over to point and bring in Stevenson at the 2 for defense. With a shot blocker like Hibbert in the paint the could get away with it on a limited basis.

I've always liked Granger too. With his injury, his value is very low, so who knows, maybe they'd do it. Then Pau for Rondo. Huge difference defensively for us. Nash and MWP are so slow, it's like their feet are nailed to the floor. Imagine defenders like Rondo, Kobe and Granger on the perimeter, with shot blockers like Dwight and Clark in the paint. We would be long, athletic and very fast. Big change from our team now. And it would still preserve the cap space plan.

Here's hoping!
    My biggest concern about Granger is shooting accuracy or lack thereof. Last time he shot above 45% was 2006. Last 4 years, he shot below 43% including 29% last season. His career FG% is 43.7%, now add that with Kobe's 45% and you will get a tandem that are not very efficient shooters.
    Yes, bringing in Nash to the Pacers backcourt makes sense, provided that he would be healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    My biggest concern about Granger is shooting accuracy or lack thereof. Last time he shot above 45% was 2006. Last 4 years, he shot below 43% including 29% last season. His career FG% is 43.7%, now add that with Kobe's 45% and you will get a tandem that are not very efficient shooters.
    Yes, bringing in Nash to the Pacers backcourt makes sense, provided that he would be healthy.
    Granger would turn into a spot up shooter though. The exact same role that MWP had, except he'd probably connect on more of them.

And when needed, he could also be a go-to guy.

But I don't want to invest in him too much. With all the injuries we've had this year, the last thing we want is to trade for someone who basically missed the entire 2012-2013 season.

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    Tam, you crack me up, Basketball is NOT about stats, it about how you play the game. There are so many things that don't reflect a players true value and ability, things you can't summarize into any stats.......or learn out of a textbook.

Kobe is a flat out BALLER and so is Granger. If you filled a squad with efficient shooters you would probably get your @ss kicked in a real game.

There is a coach I have been going up against for over 10 years, his teams are loaded with great shooters, I mean AMAZING shooters and they have easily shot a higher percentage than my teams every game we played head to head.......we have never lost to them and in fact almost every game ended up with us winning by at least 20 points. Team Defense and World Class rebounding is how we do it......I can wipe my "A" with someone's stats.

LMAO Balls Out, it doesn't take a genius to know how to play 2 good big men together, most teams don't have 1 much less 2 so they don't have that option........I think Rudy T. and Coach Pop could tell you this fact.
    I remember people saying that Phil couldn't fit a Center into the Triangle since he never had a good one with Chicago, this was ridiculous and proven wrong.
    Why are you worried about Morris, Sacre and extremely low paid guys? Do you realize that we have to have low salary guys to fill out a roster, do you understand that there are minimum roster sizes, that to replace these guys you will only get the same level of talent...OR pay more money, that these guys are paid so little that they don't effect our salary cap?
    I don't get why you feel they are even worth mentioning?
    The 3 guys combined made less than $2 million....get off it..lol.

I have been running 2 bigs in the post for over 20 years on my teams with 2 good bigs. My teams dominate and trust me, there is nothing revolutionary I am doing with them, just old fashioned basic basketball fundamentals.
    In AAU, College there are a ton of coaches who have done the exact same things.....you guys need to get out and actually watch games that are NOT on tv, it would open your eyes to more of the game.

Oh, we are not going to fire 'Antoni because Mitch said so......dude, seriously?????? Where have you been all season, do you realize that Mitch said the exact same thing about Mike Brown just 2 days, YES 2 days before he was fired......come on man!!!!!!! Surely you knew that didn't you?

qrich, Yeah, you busted me on that one, I gotta give it to you
    Last edited by DKLaker; 04-29-2013 at 11:00 AM.

God I hope we don't sign Dwight to a max contract...it will be the end of us

Resigning Dwight is key.
    I know everyone is down and out on him but he is still the key to our future.

Next step would be to get a new coach. Pringles was a bad idea from the jump. (But I doubt this happens unless Dwight demands it)

Trade Steve Nash for Lowry. Seems like a popular idea and I agree.

Amnesty MWP. We save 20 plus million.

Pray Kobe comes back before December.

Gasol Gasol Gasol.....if we can trade him then trade him. If not keep him and let him and Dwight rule the post next year.

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner
    Resigning Dwight is key.
    I know everyone is down and out on him but he is still the key to our future.

Next step would be to get a new coach. Pringles was a bad idea from the jump. (But I doubt this happens unless Dwight demands it)

Trade Steve Nash for Lowry. Seems like a popular idea and I agree.

Amnesty MWP. We save 20 plus million.

Pray Kobe comes back before December.

Gasol Gasol Gasol.....if we can trade him then trade him. If not keep him and let him and Dwight rule the post next year.
    See my earlier comment about Metta. He has 1 season left at $7.7 mil, this makes him a valuable expirer. You don't use your 1 and only waiver on an expirer, it would be a very dumb move because you would still have to pay him.
    Reminder, because of the CBA each team was given ONE waiver.

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

See my earlier comment about Metta. He has 1 season left at $7.7 mil, this makes him a valuable expirer. You don't use your 1 and only waiver on an expirer, it would be a very dumb move because you would still have to pay him.
    Reminder, because of the CBA each team was given ONE waiver.
    problem is there is nobody else who has more than an yr remaining who we could amnesty

kobe - no way
    Gasol - trade em before amnesty
    MPW - ideal candidate saves 20mil
    blake - played good and can you something

nobody else...
    Last edited by Lakers_Kobe_Fan; 04-29-2013 at 05:48 PM.

NBA lottery pick

I like Granger's game too. I just don't think he'll ever play a whole season. He's an upgrade nonetheless. I would take him on the roster. I think he would thrive in a situation where he isn't the go to scorer. It would make the game easier on him. In Indiana, he was the one they went to. Teams could double-team him. If he played with Kobe & Dwight there wouldn't be that.

It still doesn't solve the Lakers hugest weakness. The same weakness they've had for years. Point Guard. The Lakers can't defend any other teams PG. That won't change with Nash. He's probably not tradeable. That's a pretty big contract for what he can do on the court still. He was a horrible defender to begin with and he got worse. I'd really like to see Nash in a backup role. I'm not sure who the Lakers could land to fill that spot. Hoping to land a lottery pick to go after MCW is wishful thinking. With as weak as this draft class is I think he'll go in the top 12. PG is pretty much the most important position and he & Trey Burke are the top 2 left in this draft class.

I know there's a few of us who wish 'antoni would be fired. I don't see it happening yet. Unless of course Howard makes it known that he won't be back if 'antoni is here. Outside of that happening I think 'antoni at least has half a season left in LA. I do think it's easier to fire him next season though. Brown has a new job and I believe he'll be off the payroll.

I don't see Gasol getting moved until the Howard situation is figured out. If Howard leaves, he's their backup plan. If Howard signs, then Gasol will likely be moved. It's still going to be very hard to get someone to take that contract. With the new CBA, that contract is a killer to teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
    problem is there is nobody else who has more than an yr remaining who we could amnesty

kobe - no way
    Gasol - trade em before amnesty
    MPW - ideal candidate saves 20mil
    blake - played good and can you something

nobody else...
    Again, you are missing the point, they would still have to pay every penny of the $7.7 million. The intelligent thing to do would be to trade him, YES he is not only valuable as an expirer but also he is still a tough player and smart veteran.......why do you think Derek Fisher is still around after being washed up for 4 years. If we trade him we won't have to pay him anything....think about it.

Tam, you crack me up, Basketball is NOT about stats, it about how you play the game. There are so many things that don't reflect a players true value and ability, things you can't summarize into any stats.......or learn out of a textbook.

Kobe is a flat out BALLER and so is Granger. If you filled a squad with efficient shooters you would probably get your @ss kicked in a real game.

There is a coach I have been going up against for over 10 years, his teams are loaded with great shooters, I mean AMAZING shooters and they have easily shot a higher percentage than my teams every game we played head to head.......we have never lost to them and in fact almost every game ended up with us winning by at least 20 points. Team Defense and World Class rebounding is how we do it......I can wipe my "A" with someone's stats.
    I understand that there are other facets of players games that don't reflect on stats. If you say that he plays very good defense that he can feed the post and has a great understanding of the game like reading and reacting to defense, etc etc etc, then I'll probably buy it. .
    But I strongly believe that if Ray Allen did not shoot a very good % from behind the arc that he would be out of the league by now.
    Ill be lying to you if I say that I have seen atleast 80% of Granger's games so I went to the stats to take away my subjective observations on him.
    I did not mean to leave out some of Granger's good stats, I was merely late for work this am so I had to cut short my post.
    Anyway, I like the FACT that he has a really good % frm the 3pt line at 38.4%, Someone posted that he would be a great spot up shooter when Kobe takes charge of the ball.
    that he take about 6-7 FT's per game, 3 out of 4 years before last season, A good sign too incase his shots are not falling, that he can manufacture points.
    The irony is that You and I are in a minority here in this board, about keeping Dwight. You'll probably defend him about him being mis-used/poor strategy of maximizing his abilities while I like to point about that he was among that top leaders in rebounding and blocked shots inspite of bum shoulder and coming out of back surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I like Granger's game too. I just don't think he'll ever play a whole season. He's an upgrade nonetheless. I would take him on the roster. I think he would thrive in a situation where he isn't the go to scorer. It would make the game easier on him. In Indiana, he was the one they went to. Teams could double-team him. If he played with Kobe & Dwight there wouldn't be that.

It still doesn't solve the Lakers hugest weakness. The same weakness they've had for years. Point Guard. The Lakers can't defend any other teams PG. That won't change with Nash. He's probably not tradeable. That's a pretty big contract for what he can do on the court still. He was a horrible defender to begin with and he got worse. I'd really like to see Nash in a backup role. I'm not sure who the Lakers could land to fill that spot. Hoping to land a lottery pick to go after MCW is wishful thinking. With as weak as this draft class is I think he'll go in the top 12. PG is pretty much the most important position and he & Trey Burke are the top 2 left in this draft class.

With the no hand check rule PLUS virtually most teams running the high pick and rolls, I strongly believe that it's almost impossible to shut down quick and prolific players. Parker, Lawson, Curry, Derron Williams, heck even Nate Robinson are simply dominating the games right now.