Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Born again Cavs fan bballnoob1192's Avatar

Default Re: Kobe is arguably the greatest one on one player of All-time...

kobe has never seen 1 on 1 coverage. post shaq.

I am your soldier!

Dantley > Kobe

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    Shaq, Gasol, Phil Jackson say hi. He had loaded teams and his teams were always the favorites. and he wasn't even the best player on his team for most of his rings.
    Wade, Riley, Bosh, Allen, Spo, Lambo, Irving,Love, Blatt, Mozgof all say hi as well.

Kobe had just as much as skills as MJ. What separated the two was MJ's superior athleticism, especially his off the charts quickness, which made his first step unguardable and just made MJ more explosive anywhere on the court. That explains the approximate 5 point difference in their ppg.

Quote Originally Posted by HOoopCityJones
    Wade, Riley, Bosh, Allen, Spo, Lambo, Irving,Love, Blatt, Mozgof all say hi as well.
    Where are irving and love?

haven't seen them play in games.

and LOL @ comparing Mozgov and Blatt to Shaq/Gasol and Phil JAckson.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Kobe had just as much as skills as MJ. What separated the two was MJ's superior athleticism, especially his off the charts quickness, which made his first step unguardable and just made MJ more explosive anywhere on the court. That explains the approximate 5 point difference in their ppg.
    I don't think I would say superior athleticism but greater and better no doubt about it. I think most people underrate #8 Kobe back in the day he was athletic as hell fast, quick, explosive, jumping ability, agility, hangtime in the air, and underrated strength. Kobe had 38 vertical jump which is pretty damn good.
    Last edited by Cold soul; 06-16-2015 at 04:10 PM.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    Where are irving and love?

haven't seen them play in games.

and LOL @ comparing Mozgov and Blatt to Shaq/Gasol and Phil JAckson.

I'm glad you know who played with who and the Caoches names.

Phil coached a guy by the name of Jordan as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold soul
    I don't think I would say superior athleticism but greater and better no doubt about it. I think most people underrate #8 Kobe back in the day he was athletic as hell fast, quick, explosive, jumping ability, agility, hangtime in the air, and underrated strength. Kobe had 38 vertical jump which is pretty damn good.
    Kobe was definitely pretty darn athletic in his younger days but he was still not on MJ's level. If MJ was a 10, I would say Kobe was an 8.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Kobe was definitely pretty darn athletic in his younger days but he was still not on MJ's level. If MJ was a 10, I would say Kobe was an 8.
    Exactly. MJ did not have superior athleticism over Kobe as you said it was just better.

And you're saying he couldn't drop these numbers mostly under single coverage with no fuccs given for FG%?

In today's game, the paint is empty with zero defenders.. Defenders must guard weakside 3-pointers, so they must position themselves on the far weakside BEHIND the paint, and furthest from helping on the strongside:

In previous eras, the paint was NEVER empty with zero defenders - defenders didn't have to guard weakside 3-pointers, so all defenders remained on the strongside and/or in the paint, and therefore closest to help on strongside action:

Being closer to help is the ultimate effect of no-spacing.. Whereas spacing makes defenders help from further away, so they are late, rather than waiting.

Btw, even though Lebron enjoys strongside clearouts where all help defenders are furthest away from the strongside as possible, Lebron is only shooting 32.5% on isolations in these playoffs.. Lebron's low isolation efficiency is destroying his overall FG% in these playoffs, since isolations are the thing he does most often - he isolates on 33.5% of his possessions, #1 in the league!

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by StephHamann
    In today's game, the paint is empty with zero defenders.. Defenders must guard weakside 3-pointers, so they must position themselves on the far weakside BEHIND the paint, and furthest from helping on the strongside:

In previous eras, the paint was NEVER empty with zero defenders - defenders didn't have to guard weakside 3-pointers, so all defenders remained on the strongside and/or in the paint, and therefore closest to help on strongside action:

Being closer to help is the ultimate effect of no-spacing.. Whereas spacing makes defenders help from further away, so they are late, rather than waiting.

Btw, even though Lebron enjoys strongside clearouts where all help defenders are furthest away from the strongside as possible, Lebron is only shooting 32.5% on isolations in these playoffs.. Lebron's low isolation efficiency is destroying his overall FG% in these playoffs, since isolations are the thing he does most often - he isolates on 33.5% of his possessions, #1 in the league!
    3ball alt confirmed
    DEAD af

High School Varsity 6th Man

Did you really just compare Mozgov to shaq or gasol? Bron got wade for 4 years, and he was out of his prime the last year or 2. Bosh was good, on level as gasol at best. Spo isnt a good coach, idk what lambo even is, riley wasnt coaching you imbecile, LOVE AND KYRIE ARENT PLAYING, and he got to play with a nearly 40 year old ray allen.

Kobe has had the most talent of any top 10 great along with jordan(i dont have bill in top 10).
    Shaq, pau, dwight, lamar, mwp, payton and malone when a bit older, rick fox, horry, fisher, horace grant, glen rice.

Local High School Star

Lebron was never legendary for his 1v1 moves. Kobe and Jordan are legendary for it.

Lebron is all around and flirts with triple double every game.

They're all great in their own rights. Lebron is actually holding the Cavs pretty good all by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold soul
    Exactly. MJ did not have superior athleticism over Kobe as you said it was just better.
    Superior means better...

And I have a major problem with this widespread notion that Kobe was "at least as skilled" as Jordan, and simply had less athleticism. It's just not true.

Kobe had more skills than Jordan. I'll give him that. He had more... tricks... on offense. In his prime, he used to do ridiculous shit off of his pivot foot that I've never seen anyone else do. He had more flashy handles and seemed to be influenced by Iverson a little bit in that regard.

But in terms of basketball fundamentals, Jordan's skills were sharper. His one-dribble and two-dribble pull-up moves were smoother, his post game was more perfect, and he made his decisions much quicker. He was a smarter player as well, and had much better game sense.

As far as OP, I would say that, in terms of perimeter players only, Kobe is the second-best one-on-one player I've ever seen. He was a significantly better one-on-one player than LeBron.

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    Superior means better...

And I have a major problem with this widespread notion that Kobe was "at least as skilled" as Jordan, and simply had less athleticism. It's just not true.

Kobe had more skills than Jordan. I'll give him that. He had more... tricks... on offense. In his prime, he used to do ridiculous shit off of his pivot foot that I've never seen anyone else do. He had more flashy handles and seemed to be influenced by Iverson a little bit in that regard.

But in terms of basketball fundamentals, Jordan's skills were sharper. His one-dribble and two-dribble pull-up moves were smoother, his post game was more perfect, and he made his decisions much quicker. He was a smarter player as well, and had much better game sense.

As far as OP, I would say that, in terms of perimeter players only, Kobe is the second-best one-on-one player I've ever seen. He was a significantly better one-on-one player than LeBron.
    I don't know saying superior is like saying MJ athletically was worlds better than prime athletic Kobe which I strongly disagree with. MJ is T1 and Kobe T2 in terms of raw athleticism. Post game wise MJ was stronger with higher vertical jump he can separate easier from defenders with his quickness but fundamental wise and footwork Kobe was better in that regard. MJ was higher IQ player and would let the game come to him unlike Kobe if he was having bad shooting night he would force the issue MJ never did that.