Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park the even bigger black guy's Avatar

Default Suns officially get Shaq, Heat get Shawn Marion, Marcus Banks

Chris Broussard posted: Friday, February 1, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry

My first thought was, "That's ridiculous! There's no way the Suns would trade for Shaq.''

With all due respect to The Diesel, he's just not what he used to be. And he's not worth $40 million over the next two years.

Then I began calling around and speaking with folks in the know. Here's what I was told:

"It's close to a done deal,'' said someone with knowledge of the Suns' thinking.

"I think it's going to happen,'' said someone else with knowledge of the Suns' thinking.

"Why?'' I cried. "I can't see one benefit to adding Shaq.''

Here's what I was told:

First, the Suns don't think they can win it all as currently constructed. Their lack of big, physical players scares the daylights out of them when they look at a Lakers frontline that features Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom (not to mention Ronny Turiaf).

I was told the Suns got word that Dallas was trying to trade for Shaq (in large part to combat the new-look Lakers' behemoth front line) and that that is what set this Phoenix-Miami deal in motion.

Afraid of what a Dallas team that featured Shaq, Dirk and Josh Howard would look like, the Suns have swept in and attempted to steal Shaq from the Mavericks.

I was also told that the locker room chemistry between Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire had gotten too negative to bear. No fighting, no yelling, just a bad vibe.

"But financially, it seems disastrous,'' I said.

In actuality, it's not that bad. Marion was owed more than $17 million next year, and he would have been foolish to opt out of that deal because no one else could have or would have paid him that much. Add in Marcus Banks' $4.1 million, and the Suns are actually saving money by paying Shaq $20 million.

Banks has two more years after next at almost $10 million total, so adding Shaq would cost the Suns about $10 million in the long run. That still doesn't jibe with owner Robert Sarver's cost-cutting mandate, but it's not as bad as I first thought.

Basketball-wise, the Suns believe the positives are this:

1. Shaq will give them the big, physical presence they sorely lack on both ends of the floor.

2. Shaq will enable Amare Stoudemire to play his true and preferred position of power forward, which will make Amare more effective, possibly increasing his scoring and rebounding numbers.

3. Steve Nash will make Shaq a bigger scorer than he currently is in Miami because of his ability to create easy baskets for the big fella. Plus, the Suns' 3-point shooting ability will open things up for Shaq inside.

4. The Suns can still run with Shaq because you don't need all five players sprinting upcourt to run a fastbreak.

The Suns aren't completely sold though.

I'm told that Amare wants the deal to happen and spoke extensively with Shaq on the telephone Tuesday night.

I'm told that Nash has some apprehension, but he's weighing the pros and cons. I'm told Coach Mike D'Antoni has even more apprehension, and that there are questions as to whether he can coach the team in a way that will utilize Shaq's abilities.

I'm told new president Steve Kerr thinks adding Shaq is a great opportunity for the Suns organization.

Personally, I wouldn't make this trade if I were the Suns. While they don't look dominant out West, the truth is that nobody looks dominant out West. They are one of four or five teams with a legitimate chance of winning the conference title.

I would give this core of Stoudemire, Nash and Marion one more shot before blowing it up.

While I understand the notion of Shaq adding a big, physical presence, I don't know that you can count on him to do that at his age (he'll turn 36 on March 6).

First, I think he could get in huge foul trouble because of Nash's inability to contain dribble penetration. And secondly, I don't know that Shaq will even be healthy most of the time.

I do like the idea of Dallas adding Shaq because I don't think they'd rely on him as much. I think he'd be a more effective version of Erick Dampier and DeSagana Diop. But I think the Suns will need more out of him than Dallas would.

I think Grant Hill and Boris Diaw can make up for Marion's offense, but defensively, the Suns will miss The Matrix.

I agree that Shaq's presence will make Stoudemire better, and that he will not stop the Suns from running fast breaks. He'll slow down their halfcourt offense, but with all those shooters around him, he should be more effective.

After speaking with these "folks in the know,'' I can see some pluses to adding Shaq to the Suns.

But I still wouldn't do it.

Default Re: The Shaq deal: Some reasons why

i'd do it if i were the suns. outside of barbosa and amare the suns arent build for the future.

j Fresh is baaack! 5 K!DD dribbles's Avatar

Hope this goes through. The Suns need this in order to compete. Like it's been said before, the Phoenix Suns might not be able to win it all with this current basketball team.

isn't there another center they could trade for instead of shaq? i mean, ok if they figured they need a natural C to play D on duncan and enable Stat to play his natural role, but why Shaq? why not something like sam dalembert and andre miller for marion and banks?

it works on the trade machine: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/feature...1~21&te=&cash=

Wrong player, they will sacrfice their trademark fast tempo for a big who plays 50 games a season, is injury prone, and isn't what he used to be.

Phoenix are just desperate, stupid trade...Miami gets a steal, in my opinion.

kidachi
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by ikoiko

of course..

Decent playground baller duncan on U's Avatar

This might end up being the worst trade to get better that I've ever seen. Maybe they got HGH over there ready for Shaq because the shape he's in now is terrible. A great acqusition for Miami though if it happens.

I'd love to see Shaq win the title in Phoenix, then Duncan can win in 2009 again, to complete the full decade of Shaq/Duncan dominance (well except for that Pistons anomaly in the middle).

99- Duncan
    00- Shaq
    01- Shaq
    02- Shaq
    03- Duncan
    04-
    05- Duncan
    06- Shaq
    07- Duncan
    08- Shaq
    09- Duncan

Saw a basketball once

I can see not wanting him to go to Dallas. I can also see the feeling that they can't win as is. I think they do have a chance, but based on past years, they should feel like something needs to change. I'm just not sure Shaq will contribute at all. We will find out soon enough though.

Good college starter Valliant13's Avatar

The only non basketball justification I can understand is Shaq still has huge drawing power. Sarver may be able to recoup the extra salary paid with additional ticket sales and merchandise.

Why not trade for AK47, though?
    Or (like an above poster said) some like Dalembert, or one of Seattle

Good college starter Valliant13's Avatar

Though, if Shaq did win a title with another team, he would be getting very close to top 5 all time territory.

Local High School Star Silent Mav's Avatar

Thing that strikes me odd about the article is saying the Suns were worried about a Shaq, Dirk, Howard front line. But the only mention of a Dallas trade had Howard in the deal. So they wouldn't have that lineup out there. Plus until yesterday, there were no rumblings in Dallas about a deal for Shaq.

Learning to shoot layups

I hate this deal for phoenix for two main reasons.

A. Trading Marion for Shaq will have a HUGE negative impact on whats already a bad defense.

B. Want to shut down Phoenix's high powered offense? Hack a shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by the even bigger black guy
    My first thought was, "That's ridiculous! There's no way the Suns would trade for Shaq.''
    That's my thought as well. A panic trade like this has a high probability of not accomplishing the stated goal. I think that Phoenix gets much worse if it goes down. Broussard's point that Dallas would be a much better place for Shaq is right on point.

The fallout from the Pau Gasol deal still continues....

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

It looks bad, but in my personal opinion, the suns window is slowly closing, i dont think they can win it all with their current squad, so by making this trade they are deffinently gambling big time, but it could very well result in a ring if it works out...

what does miami get? i dont think marion is a good second option, i cant see miami going anywhere with him...

who cares if shaq only plays 50 games a season, he will be there when the playoffs come and thats all that matters, suns can get a top seed purely through nash, amare and their good role players...

I actually like the idea of Shaq in pheonix, i must be the only one...