Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Knicks running the Triangle in summer league

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Calderon is another case of over dribbling. He tends to pound it way too much and doesn't penetrate worth a damn for his entire career. Although, he probably shouldn't be doing that in this offense.

Also, I think the defense (at least semblance) needs to be addressed if the Knicks can make anymore moves or trades. Emeka Okafor is still available and while he missed all of last season, he would be welcome upgrade at center, I would think.
    Yeah, I was wondering about Calderon as well, but with Phil there, I'm going to be open-minded because he certainly knows what will work in the offense better than I will. And yeah, penetration from the point guard isn't a big issue. Fisher was never a good enough ball-handler for that and an awful finisher, but he worked in the offense, and Harper was doing fine as a former slasher in his mid 30's with bad knees. The ball is supposed to get inside, but with entries to the post and ball movement primarily.

Hey, we'll see what happens with Calderon. Maybe he's one of those veterans who can adjust, but maybe he's one of those guys like the veterans I mentioned earlier who just don't work out. It's not as important in this case because everyone knows making the playoffs will be the best case scenario, and this team making any sort of run in the East doesn't even seem like much of a possibility. So there is time to figure out who will work in the offense and who won't.

The defense was just horrible last year. Really no communicating and help and players regularly missing rotations. Part of it was personnel like Bargnani. I'm not sure I've seen a help defender with a lower IQ. Either that, or I've never seen a help defender who cares less. Probably both.

But yeah, there will need to be some upgrades made defensively for sure, but the reality is, this will be a flawed team for the upcoming season. It'll be about making whatever improvements are possible for the future without f*cking up cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by AboutBuckets
    Your avy. Hell of a movie.
    Yeah, one of my favorites.

Calderonw I'll pick up this offense easily. He plays using similar concepts in Spain. He isn't my fav player but I have no doubts he will be fine here.

Banned

Triangle also covers any defensive deficiencies a team may have by slowing down the game. You will see a huge outburst in points if everything is clicking. It is actually great to see a slow tempo offense score so many points. It is the opposite of what the Spurs run.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Welcome back.

Whatever happens this year, I'm just glad they have direction... something that has been lacking since JVG coached the team.

If the Knicks are patient, this is a fun offense to run and Melo is going to have a lot of fun.

5-time NBA All-Star

Speaking of lower IQs, Bargnani and especially Jr Smith are disasters waiting to happen in that offense. I can see JR overdribbling and completely killing the flow then tossing up a a bad outside shot or trying to penetrate at the wrong time. I've liked Amare a lot since his first year with the Knicks, but I don't think it's a great offense for him. Then again, who knows with his greatly improved post game, but he'll have to get better at passing out of the post, and making quicker passes and decisions. Then again, I could also see Amare with some work potentially being pretty good on the weakside.

Personally, I don't think the roster as constructed is particularly good for the offense. I do think there's a good chance Melo can thrive in it, but outside of him, it's very questionable, but I had low expectations for this season regardless. It's going to be a rough year, and really 2015 on is the time to look for anything significant.
    I just don't see JR fitting in. He needs a father figure along with a psychiatrist and a private tutor for the triangle. And yes, Bargs is going to be bumping into other players. So true.

? Carmelo, jr, and bargnani fit the system the best. What are you talking about

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    KD would be so goddamn dominant from the Triangle... Give him Phil and a decent supporting cast and he's no doubt ending his career with 5-6 rings like Kobe/Jordan ended up with...

Just watching the Knicks already run an offense 10x more advanced than anything we've ever seen from Brooks in OKC has me pretty salty, I'm not going to lie.
    Freaking iso era.

I blame Jordan. He glamorized that shit and influenced the next generation of players. Ironic thing is that he was fundamentally sound in team ball too. Hell, he lamented his influence in the loss of fundamental team ball too.

At least team ball is coming back. Props to the spurs for being the front runners in that.

Krust Kingz

Speaking of lower IQs, Bargnani and especially Jr Smith are disasters waiting to happen in that offense. I can see JR overdribbling and completely killing the flow then tossing up a a bad outside shot or trying to penetrate at the wrong time. I've liked Amare a lot since his first year with the Knicks, but I don't think it's a great offense for him. Then again, who knows with his greatly improved post game, but he'll have to get better at passing out of the post, and making quicker passes and decisions. Then again, I could also see Amare with some work potentially being pretty good on the weakside.

Personally, I don't think the roster as constructed is particularly good for the offense. I do think there's a good chance Melo can thrive in it, but outside of him, it's very questionable, but I had low expectations for this season regardless. It's going to be a rough year, and really 2015 on is the time to look for anything significant.
    How is a roster that Zen put together considered bad for the triangle? There are only 4 players that might have some issues with the Triangle if they dont buy in or they're not smart enough... JR (low IQ), Melo (if he doesnt buy in), Bargs (low IQ), Shump (no offensive game). This doesnt make a complete roster and they will have time to practice it.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    How is a roster that Zen put together considered bad for the triangle? There are only 4 players that might have some issues with the Triangle if they dont buy in or they're not smart enough... JR (low IQ), Melo (if he doesnt buy in), Bargs (low IQ), Shump (no offensive game). This doesnt make a complete roster and they will have time to practice it.
    4 isn't that insignificant considering what will the main rotation be? 8-9 players? Plus, I wouldn't say those are the only 4 who might have problems. There's Amare and Dalembert as well. Remember, a couple of years ago, Phil reportedly wasn't high on Amare at all. I'm not saying any of these players will have problems except for JR and Bargnani who I'm pretty much assuming will, but they might.

Actually, Shump is interesting because depending on how much he learns from Fisher and playing in the triangle, he could be successful. Remember, Phil likes big, defensive-minded guards like Ron Harper and Brian Shaw, and Shumpert is definitely no worse offensively than they were under Phil. Actually, Shumpert has the potential to be better offensively based on 3 point shooting and athleticism.

4 isn't that insignificant considering what will the main rotation be? 8-9 players? Plus, I wouldn't say those are the only 4 who might have problems. There's Amare and Dalembert as well. Remember, a couple of years ago, Phil reportedly wasn't high on Amare at all. I'm not saying any of these players will have problems except for JR and Bargnani who I'm pretty much assuming will, but they might.

Actually, Shump is interesting because depending on how much he learns from Fisher and playing in the triangle, he could be successful. Remember, Phil likes big, defensive-minded guards like Ron Harper and Brian Shaw, and Shumpert is definitely no worse offensively than they were under Phil. Actually, Shumpert has the potential to be better offensively based on 3 point shooting and athleticism.

I expect BIG things from Shump. New coach, second chances. Finally starting a season healthy. I like the kid; hope he doesn't prove me wrong.