Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-29-2008, 01:25 AM   #91
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: How is Pierce considered a top MVP candidate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
No situations are "the same" but they're very similar. Duncan and Parker was less of a debate than Pierce and KG sure but almost all of the same things apply as I pointed out.

And I have tried to tell you that the same things DO NOT apply because you aren't grasping why I feel the way I do about Pierce and KG. Parker's situation isn't boiled down to "win MVP because he scored a lot". That's not it.

Quote:
Why don't you care about PPM? When KG was out on the floor he was the Celtics leading scorer. He pretty much just played less minutes when the games weren't close.

Because points per minute and other per/min stats are supposed to be used for guys playing few minutes to see how productive they are and to find a common ground when comparing them to guys with different playing time. KG, while not playing heavy minutes, still was playing over 30, so there's no reason to use PPM when I can see what he does in the game in the boxscore and when I watch him. It's not like I need to see what he does because he only played ten minutes.

Quote:
Garnett is the better offensive player because he's more efficient, his passing ability is more valuable as a big man, he's a better post scorer and he takes less bad shots.
I guess I'm done with you since you seem to ignore everything I point out. If you want to believe it's all KG, and he's the heart and soul and best player on the team, then be my guest.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:25 AM   #92
Diesel J
NBA lottery pick

Diesel J has decent reputationDiesel J has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudjjay
Nope. Garnett is our best defensive player, Pierce is our best player overall.

Diesel J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #93
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
And I have tried to tell you that the same things DO NOT apply because you aren't grasping why I feel the way I do about Pierce and KG. Parker's situation isn't boiled down to "win MVP because he scored a lot". That's not it.

I'm not grasping what you're saying because you aren't making valid points on how Pierce is even as good as Garnett.

Quote:
Because points per minute and other per/min stats are supposed to be used for guys playing few minutes to see how productive they are and to find a common ground when comparing them to guys with different playing time. KG, while not playing heavy minutes, still was playing over 30, so there's no reason to use PPM when I can see what he does in the game in the boxscore and when I watch him. It's not like I need to see what he does because he only played ten minutes.

PPM is actually less useful for players playing less minutes because then it becomes a guess of if they can sustain that. Some players can come in and put up good numbers for 15-20 minutes but aren't as good for longer minutes, their PPM will be higher as a result.

KG's scoring average being lower last year was clearly because he played less blowout minutes, did you even watch the Celtics last season? Pierce played 3 more mpg which can easily account for his extra 0.8 ppg.

Quote:
I guess I'm done with you since you seem to ignore everything I point out. If you want to believe it's all KG, and he's the heart and soul and best player on the team, then be my guest.

I never said it was all KG, they needed all of the big 3 to win their title. I'm just stating the obvious, that KG was the best of the 3 throughout the season(not every series or every week but for the majority of the season).
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: