Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Default Re: Beal vs. Waiters

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    Another 20 point game for Beal. This month he is averaging 17.7/5 shooting 48% from the field, 50% from 3.

There is no way to score that well on the worst offensive team in the league without being able to create your own shot.

are we really gonna pretend that Beal can beat guys off the dribble like Dion can? I feel like i'm living in fantasy land all of a sudden. Beal is a fine player and all but that part of his game is nowhere near Waiters, nor will it ever be.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyphaei46Vw

Here is highlights of Waiters first half of the season if you haven't seen him play.

I still prefer Beal but I think they will both be really good.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    are we really gonna pretend that Beal can beat guys off the dribble like Dion can? I feel like i'm living in fantasy land all of a sudden. Beal is a fine player and all but that part of his game is nowhere near Waiters, nor will it ever be.

First of all if you knew how to read you would see i didn't mention Waiters in my post.

Secondly are you going to pretend that Beal hasn't been outplaying the older Waiters since Jan 1?

Thunder it DOWN, Dion! PleezeBelieve's Avatar

@ bu...bu...but my guy is 10934 months younger than your guy arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
    @ bu...bu...but my guy is 10934 months younger than your guy arguments.

@ 3-17 from 3 in Feb.

Beal doesn't need to beat his man of the dribble as often as waiters because he beats his man to the spot he wants to shoot from by moving off the ball. Waiters is definitely better iso-ing and getting to the hole off the bounce.

But Beal is a different player. He's a shooter

Good High School Starter

Dion "I get to the rim and am such an awesome finisher" Waiters isn't even shooting 50% at the rim. Your driving ability does you no good if you can't finish the play.

D-Wait is a star in the making!

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Beal doesn't need to beat his man of the dribble as often as waiters because he beats his man to the spot he wants to shoot from by moving off the ball. Waiters is definitely better iso-ing and getting to the hole off the bounce.

But Beal is a different player. He's a shooter

i realize that yes. They are different players, they have different styles, they are both going to be really good.

Not singling you out in particular but there is like this belief that Beal has been so great in 2013 and Dion hasn't, when in reality BOTH have been very good in the new year.

It's going to be a very fun rivalry and these debates probably wil go on and on and on.

According to BR Waiters is shooting 53% from inside 3 feet. Is that really what you guys are going to hang your hat on?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...l=&order_by=fg

Quote Originally Posted by HeyIt'sMe
    Dion "I get to the rim and am such an awesome finisher" Waiters isn't even shooting 50% at the rim. Your driving ability does you no good if you can't finish the play.

He's shooting 70% plus the last month i think at the rim, his finishing at the rim has improved every month he's been in the league. He struggled, much like beal and almost every single rookie guard does, the first part of the season.

edit: 66% in Jan and around 74% in feb.
    Last edited by DukeDelonte13; 02-26-2013 at 06:15 PM.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

@ 3-17 from 3 in Feb.
    He's definitely been cold from behind the arc, but that almost makes his overall improved efficiency more impressive... At least to me, because there was a time early in the season when I feared he might be one of those guys whose entire offensive game depended upon whether or not his jumper was falling. That was when he was really struggling with his finishing at the basket. He would get there, but hadn't adjusted to the tall, athletic bigs of the NBA.

His shot selection has also improved quite a bit.

So, yes, he isn't hitting 3s in February, but he is shooting 51% from the field.

I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    He's definitely been cold from behind the arc, but that almost makes his overall improved efficiency more impressive... At least to me, because there was a time early in the season when I feared he might be one of those guys whose entire offensive game depended upon whether or not his jumper was falling. That was when he was really struggling with his finishing at the basket. He would get there, but hadn't adjusted to the tall, athletic bigs of the NBA.

His shot selection has also improved quite a bit.

So, yes, he isn't hitting 3s in February, but he is shooting 51% from the field.

I'll take it.

its because he's barely taking one three a game now...

According to BR Waiters is shooting 53% from inside 3 feet. Is that really what you guys are going to hang your hat on?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...l=&order_by=fg
    He's shooting 51% from the field this month.

Plus, I like what I see when I watch him play. So....

its because he's barely taking one three a game now...
    Like I said, improved shot selection. One of the fears coming out was that he was a "shot jacker" who can put up points, but on very low efficiency.

He certainly hasn't looked that way the last couple months.