Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #31
Batchoy
Decent playground baller

Default Re: "You're No Scottie Pippen: Should Lakers Get Rid of Odom" ARTICLE FROM BSO.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
Which is to say, then, not really close.
Right now, no. But Kobe is in his prime and still has about 5 more productive years to catch up to MJ. He's been putting up MJ-like numbers (but not with MJ like efficiency) the past 2 years, but hasn't resulted in team success yet. Yes, he has won 3 Championships, but not as the #1 option or as the team leader. This is one reason that has hampered Kobe's quest to become the best ever. He has the numbers to show he can score, he has the championships to show he can win, but he has to put both together as the leader of the team to show everyone he belongs with the best.
Batchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #32
Soccer10
Banned

Default Re: "You're No Scottie Pippen: Should Lakers Get Rid of Odom" ARTICLE FROM BSO.COM

Wow, saying that Kobe to Jordan is what Nowitzki is to Bird is a very unfair statement, it's either meant as an insult to Bird, or a huge compliment to Nowitzki or perhaps most likely just an underestimation of Kobe's greatness.

This is just too easy.

Let's start off with skills.

Bird's passing skills. Nowitzki doesn't come close. Thread over.
Nowitzki doesn't have Bird's skills. He can score and rebound but other than that, it all goes to Bird's advantage big time.
Can't compare them skill wise because it isn't close.
Bird was a playmaker. A passer. He could've done everything.
Different players. Dirk is so much less skill wise.

Kobe OTOH has every skill of Jordan. Every one. He's better at some things.
Worse at most. But he has those skills.
Every single one.
I don't think anyone in history of the game had all those skills and so many ways to score etc..
So, really what skill does Jordan have and Kobe doesn't? None.
They're both among the most skilled players of all time.
You see where I'm going with this?
Jordan's better at most things but Kobe's great at them too.

That's just skill wise.

Then, here comes accomplishments.

If you feel it's unfair to compare Kobe to Jordan, then Nowitzki-Bird is insulting.
Nowitzki will now have the MVP and that's it. Has he ever been on a first team at all?
Yet Kobe has...and he has 3 rings..just little something...ya 3 rings.

Then we can talk history books.

Kobe has done things that Jordan has not. Kobe has surpassed Jordan in some record books.
He's done wild things that not even Jordan has done.
He's up there in most scoring records etc..

What has Nowitzki ever done that Bird hasn't done? Nothing. Absolutley nothing.

Then comes mentality and reputation.

Kobe has Jordan's mentality. Clutch reputation. Reputation of a hard worker and blah blah blah...all those things that Jordan was.

Dirk? Not so much. Bird was a killer. A trash talker. Maybe the clutchest player ever. Dirk? Actually has a negative clutch reputation. Is nice on the court.

Just an insult to Bird. Don't get me wrong, Nowitzki is a fabulous scorer but Kobe is much more closer to Jordan in every single aspect of the game, if every other aspect.

Just a very unfair comparison.

Kobe is much closer any way you look at it. Just a terrible comparison IMO.
Soccer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #33
warriors23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
Warriors should try and get Odom somehow.
why would we need him?
warriors23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #34
NoGunzJustSkillz

loki, what do you mean by saying kobe isn't as aggressive as jordan? you mean going to the basket hard?
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:41 PM   #35
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

I find it amazing how no one brings up the way the season started for the Lakers.

When Kobe started the season he was nervous about his knee holding up. He exhibited excellent shot selection. He prefered close shots, gave the ball up when the defense was too tight, moved without the ball, and passed to whoever had a better shot. During that stretch Odom looked like an All Star.

Then December hit. Odom missed some games. Kobe realized his knee was fine. Kobe started playing like the "old" Kobe. When he came back Odom started playing like the "old" Lamar.

Some how I don't believe its a coincidence.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #36
Kobe24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
I find it amazing how no one brings up the way the season started for the Lakers.

When Kobe started the season he was nervous about his knee holding up. He exhibited excellent shot selection. He prefered close shots, gave the ball up when the defense was too tight, moved without the ball, and passed to whoever had a better shot. During that stretch Odom looked like an All Star.

Then December hit. Odom missed some games. Kobe realized his knee was fine. Kobe started playing like the "old" Kobe. When he came back Odom started playing like the "old" Lamar.

Some how I don't believe its a coincidence.

That's what happens when injuries happen. Odom isn't even healthy, he's supposed to be out for the season but he came back so I laugh at people who say that he's soft.
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #37
Loki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
loki, what do you mean by saying kobe isn't as aggressive as jordan? you mean going to the basket hard?

No, just their style in general. Jordan was always probing, always attacking, always looking for gaps and seams in the defense so he could create something for himself or his teammates. Not just to go all the way to the basket (though if that presented itself he would), but to force the defense to react, generating opportunities for everyone.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:30 PM   #38
Nero
Great young streetballer

Odom is the most unappreciated player in the L by his teams own fans. People seem to forget that he was their best player last year in the playoffs and playing great, leading his team to wins this year when Kobe was out. So far in the playoffs this year he's played just as well as Kobe too. I don't see why any player would want to go to the Lakers when all the Laker fans are out to portray Kobe's teammates as garbage to elevate his status.
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:33 PM   #39
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero
Odom is the most unappreciated player in the L by his teams own fans. People seem to forget that he was their best player last year in the playoffs and playing great, leading his team to wins this year when Kobe was out. So far in the playoffs this year he's played just as well as Kobe too. I don't see why any player would want to go to the Lakers when all the Laker fans are out to portray Kobe's teammates as garbage to elevate his status.

I agree that he is under appreciated. But I would still trade him in a heartbeat for the right piece(s).
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:46 PM   #40
Loki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer10
Bird's passing skills. Nowitzki doesn't come close. Thread over.
Nowitzki doesn't have Bird's skills. He can score and rebound but other than that, it all goes to Bird's advantage big time.
Can't compare them skill wise because it isn't close.
Bird was a playmaker. A passer. He could've done everything.
Different players. Dirk is so much less skill wise.

Kobe OTOH has every skill of Jordan. Every one. He's better at some things.
Worse at most. But he has those skills.
Every single one.

Just FYI, the gap betwen Jordan's help/team/off-the-ball defense and Kobe's is nearly as large as the gap in passing between Bird and Dirk. You're also kidding yourself with that entire post, because Dirk can pass -- he has the skill. Just nowhere near as good as Bird. Just like Kobe can read plays in the halfcourt and help or anticipate, just nowhere near as good as Jordan. All NBA players have all the requisite skills.

Then you add Jordan's small-to-moderate advantages in individual defensive effort, rebounding, passing, big edge in efficiency, and large edge in basketball IQ/game management/impact, and the gap isn't nearly as small as you think it is. The area where it's closest is scoring, and even there Jordan has an edge.

I agree that Kobe is closer to Jordan than Dirk is to Bird, but the gap between Kobe and Jordan is larger than you think it is, and Kobe most certainly does not have all of Jordan's skills to nearly the same degree he had them, just like Jordan didn't have nearly Kobe's 3-point shooting (which, incidentally, is the only area of the game Kobe has an advantage in).
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:30 AM   #41
Soccer10
Banned

Loki, Loki...why even bother posting when you said pretty much the same thing as I did..

Quote:
Dirk can pass -- he has the skill. Just nowhere near as good as Bird

Ummm yeah, which is exactly what I said.

Nowitzki is nowhere near the playmaker or a passer than Bird is...while Kobe and Jordan are close in everything and yes, I believe that even 3pt shooting and help defense is closer than Nowitzki is to Bird in passing/playmaking and some other things.

Quote:
Then you add Jordan's small-to-moderate advantages in individual defensive effort, rebounding, passing, big edge in efficiency, and large edge in basketball IQ/game management/impact, and the gap isn't nearly as small as you think it is. The area where it's closest is scoring, and even there Jordan has an edge.

Thanks for clearing that out :)

But it's all pretty much said what I said, you went into detail to clear everyting out for everyone but don't worry, we all know Jordan is better
Thanks for pointing out his strengths
Soccer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:58 AM   #42
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

Lamar Odom is no Scottie Pippen but he performed very well in Game 3 Scoring 18 Points and Grabbing 16 rebounds.

LAMAR ODOM is just like the James Worthy of this era.

Just absolutely amazing
Baller1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:05 AM   #43
Liberalo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller1986
Lamar Odom is no Scottie Pippen but he performed very well in Game 3 Scoring 18 Points and Grabbing 16 rebounds.

LAMAR ODOM is just like the James Worthy of this era.

Just absolutely amazing

Someone end me now....please.
Liberalo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: