Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Top 1 Bball Mind.

Default Re: Anyone here miss Brandon Roy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJjeZ4Scm9E

- One of the most underrated playoff games in recent memory. Absolutely sensation performance by Roy against the eventual champs. A last hurrah..

Liked his career more than tmac

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
    Kobe said that Roy was his toughest match-up
    The hardest SG for him to guard in the NBA

IMO there was a time when Roy was the clear-cut #2 SG in the NBA behind Kobe and ahead of D.Wade.

Roy was a boss. So clutch. Pure mid-range game. Could get to the bucket and finished amazingly well with his off-hand. He had ups too.
    Lol Roy was never close to Wade as much as I like him. And Wade was by far the best SG in the league during Roys best time

Wade- 30/8/5/2/1
    Kobe- 27/5/5/1/.5
    Roy- 23/5/5/1/0

I said he was great defensively because he gave his full effort vs the best SGs in the league. He did great againSt Kobe Wade and others. His issue was lack of effort vs average SGs.

The odds that Harden drops 42 in the playoffs against Ron Artest and Shane Battier is about as close to 0 as you can get. Anybody who watches Roy in the playoffs vs Harden in the playoffs knows who the better scorer is.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime_Shaq
    Had his knees held up he would been the top SG right now IMO. Back in 2009-ish he was easily the third best SG behind Kobe and Wade while being so young. If he stayed healthy, how do you think Portland would be doing now? (No Lilard obviously). Would you rank him above Harden and Klay?
    How no Lillard? You do realize they got him with Brooklyn's pick, which Portland acquired in exchange for Gerald Wallace. Brooklyn's biggest fail imo, not only did they give up Lillard but they gave Wallace a huge, ridiculous contract.

But Brandon Roy was one of my favorites. I teared up in that 2011 performance vs Dallas because if yall remember, at the end of that season it was basically a forgone conclusion that his career would never be the same . I didn't expect him to retire the next season though

Local High School Star

No, not really...

Glad to find this thread.

I miss Brandon Roy. A lot. One of my favorite players, loved his game. I'm not going to waste my time on hypothetical "better / worse than _______". He was a very capable rebounder early in his career. Could play as the ball handler or off the ball and be equally effective. Smart player with terrific court vision for a SG and extremely high IQ. His defense wasn't bad, but you could tell he was still working on it. I was sure he would have time for that, and stitch it with his rebounding and everything else he already had. Ambidextrous as they come, sometimes it was confusing which hand was he more comfortable with. He used both that much. Good leadership. Not too friendly nor loud, but enjoyed carrying the team on his back. Character wise, reminds me a bit of Rose.

Because of his high basketball IQ didn't have many games off. Still, the season before his knees went down, some games he was ON. Making it rain from everywhere. Scoring 30 and make it all natural and within the flow of the game. As good as anyone on a good night, and I mean ANYONE. I was convinced that he would be in MVP discussions in 1 or 2 seasons if he kept progressing the way he was.

Smooth as f*ck. And just when you were thinking that, he would go out there and break the Clippers

I have mad respect for Brandon Roy. Despite his short career, one of my all time favorites. Hope he is doing well these days.

[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR]
    Last edited by artificial; 02-23-2015 at 03:25 PM.

Decent playground baller

So sad that this is all hypothetical and we didn't get to see it play out.

It's a huge misconception that Brandon Roy was horrible off the ball, he was not, not even close. Was he Ray Allen or RIP? No, but he was much better off the ball than Kobe or LeBron or Harden. But like most other guys that are/were the best player on their team, they have the ball because they are the best player. I think people are also confusing 09 Roy with 10 Roy when his knee's were starting to go. He was a very different player in 10 with not only playing a lot more SF with the emergence of Matthews but he was losing some lateral quickness then due to his knees. He also shot many more jumpers than the previous year because his slashing just wasn't the same, he'd have it in spurts, but not for a whole game. My biggest problem with Roy was he was never able to get Aldridge to look 100% comfortable, they weren't bad together by any means, but Aldridge just didn't look the same then as he does now. Maybe it was a coaching change, maybe it was an Aldridge thing, but the two seemed like they were missing just a little bit with each other.

That being said, say Roy was 100% in 2011, how (if at all) does that change the 2011 playoffs?

What about if both Roy and Oden were 100%?

He was a very good player. I think someone like Artest mentioned him being his toughest cover? I'm not entirely sure of that so don't quote me on it. He was insanely clutch, kinda like Lillard. I remember him bringing the Blazers back from a 20 point deficit in the 2nd half against the championship year Mavs in the playoffs to tie the series at 2-2... and he came off the bench and was almost washed up by then.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Yeah? Players who stay 4 years at school and come out as seniors are usually further along in there development vs players who come out sooner. Just like most 26 years olds are further along vs a 19 year old. Brandon Roy wasn't this what if kinda player, he was pretty far along in his development. We knew what kinda player to expect.

Brandon Roy would have got better in some areas but he was in his prime when he got hurt. I think statistically 24/5/5 was the type of player he was. 4 years of development in college, 4 years in the NBA, 25 years old. He was very well rounded and polished from the get go as well.

I remember when he was 24 he really broke out and people were expecting big things and he followed it up with a slight statistical regression the next season. He was never going to be a player who averaged 28 points. Still a very good player but wasn't a serious MVP candidate like current Harden.

While those players aren't great off the ball, Roy was pretty brutal. Like out of the NBA, no role on the floor brutal. He'd constantly just stand in the corner without the ball. He was nowhere near the scorer Kobe was, and nowhere near the player LeBron was.

And Harden is a better scorer, shooter, comparable as a player maker, similar rebounder, and neither are special defensively.

Brandon Roy started 6 games in the playoffs. He had one really good series but I mean Harden's ability to get FT's and hit 3's at a superior rate makes things closer. Not to mention I don't even think Roy averaged 3 assists in the playoffs that one year. Played better than Harden has in the playoffs, but also never averaged like 27/7/6 like Harden has

Harden's what 25 years old? Same age Roy was coming off his big season where he followed it up with 21/5/5. Roy was a great player but was never going to be a top 5 player or anything like that.
    Most players peak around age 26-28ish. I don't understand why you'd think he peaked at age 24...

His "regression" came from injuries. He was having a great year until he got injured in January 2010. He looked great coming back from that injury until another injury hit in early April.

Harden averaged 27/7/6 in the playoffs... shooting like 39%, while Roy averaged 27/5/3 on 46% with Ron Artest and Shane Battier taking turns at him. Not to mention he single handedly won a game for the Blazers against the 2011 Mavs.

I don't think Harden is a better scorer, Harden benefits from playing on a fast paced Rockets team while Roy played on one of the slowest paced team in the league. I have no doubt Roy could average Harden numbers if he was on a team like the Rockets, or even current Blazers. Roy also turns the ball over a lot less, and actually has a scoring arsenal as opposed to being a one trick pony while being clutch as ****.

For the record, I think current Harden > any version of Roy. But had Roy not been hit with injuries, he would be the best SG today.
    Last edited by Fire Colangelo; 02-23-2015 at 05:26 PM.