Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Is Tim Duncan greater than Shaq? Top 5 All Time?

Quote Originally Posted by k0kakw0rld
    Is he the most dominant player of all time? I do not think so. Another overrated statement from the media.
    well you gotta give him something because hes definately not better then duncan

Banned

Very close but Shaq was slightly better in my opinion. the 3-peat and having a better peak gives the edge to Shaq.

14 years of dominance vs 13 years of excellence. Tough choice to pick only one.

Duncan was more skilled though. If somebody says Duncan is better because of that then I won't argue with it either.

How is he the most dominant player of all time, never understood that and never will

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    Very close but Shaq was slightly better in my opinion. the 3-peat and having a better peak gives the edge to Shaq.

Duncan was more skilled though. If somebody says Duncan is better because of that then I won't argue with it either.
    even shaq himself admits that duncan was more skilled on tnt. shaq just wants the dominance tag put on him. which he deserves. dominant does not = better player though.

I have Shaq at #8 and Duncan at #9.

Banned

How is he the most dominant player of all time, never understood that and never will
    well I never got to see wilt or kareem play besides old youtube clips but I just dont see how they were more dominant then a prime shaq. dude was a straight up bully in the paint Ive never seen anything like it

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2

Really?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SwooshReturns
    Disagreed.

And people need to come off it, guy has ALWAYS been a center.

Not a power forward.
    He can play center. But throughout his entire nba career, he has played the power forward position. Kinda like how people call Derrick Rose a shooting guard that can pass well, but he plays the point guard position so he is a point guard.

Banned

What is the argument for Duncan? I'm assuming it would be some loyalty bullshit or something which has absolutely nothing to do with greatness or who was better. Shaq was lazy, sure, but he could also afford to be lazy because he didn't have anything he could physically improve in. He could have been in shape more often in the regular season but he could afford to sit out because he had Kobe.

It doesn't matter if Duncan gives you a better record or seed in the regular season though because Shaq always showed up, turned it up, and dominated in the playoffs and he dominated far more than Duncan ever did.

What is the argument for Duncan?

Banned

Really?
    1992 to 2006

Shaq didn't win a championship in Orlando but his team was the only team to defeat 90's Bulls during that era. ;) yeah, so what if Jordan was just returning from his short baseball stint.

And if you think Dwight's 19(borderline 20) PPG and 13 RPG is incredible, you should know that Shaq was putting up 26 and 13 in Orlando against some of the best centers.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    They both have the same amount of rings, Finals MVP's, and Duncan has 2 MVP's to Shaq's 1

From an objective standpoint, you can't even see the argument? Open your eyes.

Banned

Their numbers, accomplishments, etc are very similar.

And like I said earlier, you can made the case for Duncan being a more skilled player.

Banned

What is the argument for Duncan? I'm assuming it would be some loyalty bullshit or something which has absolutely nothing to do with greatness or who was better. Shaq was lazy, sure, but he could also afford to be lazy because he didn't have anything he could physically improve in. He could have been in shape more often in the regular season but he could afford to sit out because he had Kobe.

It doesn't matter if Duncan gives you a better record or seed in the regular season though because Shaq always showed up, turned it up, and dominated in the playoffs and he dominated far more than Duncan ever did.

duncan could of afforded to be lazy to. he didnt

duncan could of blasted his teamates and demanded a trade. he didnt

duncan could of not played defense when he didnt recieve the ball. he DID play defense when he didnt recieve the ball...

duncan could of become a journey man ring chaser. he didnt

lets take it even further. how many coaches has shaq run out of town compared to duncan??

how many teamates has shaq blasted?? how many of teamates hold resintment(sp?) towards shaq still??

all that selfishness and "dominance" came at a price. it affected his legacy like it or not. which is why duncan is the better player
    Last edited by linZoMourning; 02-20-2012 at 06:01 PM.

I rep Lakers!

No all you had to do was watch them in the early 2000's.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    They both have the same amount of rings, Finals MVP's, and Duncan has 2 MVP's to Shaq's 1

From an objective standpoint, you can't even see the argument? Open your eyes.
    So because of one MVP? An award that is completely subjective.

Steve Nash also has 2 MVPs to Shaq's 1, yet we all know Nash isn't even close to those two. Heck, I still arguments between Kidd and Nash to this day and Kidd has no MVPs.

Moses Malone has 3 MVPs which is the same amount of MVPs as Bird and more MVPs than Duncan, Shaq, and Kobe, yet Moses isn't above any of these guys.

MVPs is no tiebreaker especially when you could argue that Shaq should have 3 MVPs anyways (2000, 2001, 2005).