Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Stephen Curry = Mark Price?

Give or take a little, accurate comparison?

Serious playground baller

Default Re: Stephen Curry = Mark Price?

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Give or take a little, accurate comparison?
    Mark Price was one of my favourite players back in the day.
    It crossed my mind, yes.
    They are similar in terms of shooting. Price was unreal in that domain.
    Other similarities - they don't rely on athleticism to score, which makes their scoring even more admirable.
    Curry has three inches on Price, is longer and more athletic though.
    Price was a pure PG, while Curry is a shoot-first PG.
    Price might have been somewhat quicker, while Curry has way better handles and is smoother. Is able to go places owing to his lenght. A better finisher.
    Price played in a stacked team with Daugherty, Nance, Harper... Was never really the go-to-guy, otherwise I believe he could have kept his scoring average over 20 ppg. Highly intelligent player.
    Overall, it's not a great comparison except for the shooting.
    I believe Curry is the better player, but Price has had a great career (4 x time All Star) and we must see how Steph fares in the long run.

They have some similarities, but as career goes, I think Curry will achieve more (if his glass ankles holds).

Hard to compare with the different rules. Curry is the exact guy the rules benefit. Price playing now is prime Steve Nash. He was a better passer and game manager than Curry by far.

Btw...wheb everyone is healthy Curry will have trouble remaining a top 5 pg. CP3, Rondo, Rose, Westbrook, Parker etc. To be honest he isn't a top 5 pg even with his hot shooting. He is just streaky and takes bad shots. You can't build around bad shots unless your a very very special player like Kobe who can impose his will on games. He just isn't that guy. Also he is playing with house money now...gonna be a little different when people began to expect big games. Imo one of the most overrated guys in a while. Isnt an all nba talent with this pg crop. There will alwayd be 3/4pgs better
    Last edited by IGOTGAME; 05-13-2013 at 08:36 AM.

That's tough, Curry has a chance though.

Banned

curry is one of a kind

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Hard to compare with the different rules. Curry is the exact guy the rules benefit. Price playing now is prime Steve Nash. He was a better passer and game manager than Curry by far.
    They're different players though. Price was more team oriented. Curry has better handles.

As for the Price/Nash comparison, I believe that Nash has better handles and is a more creative passer than Price. But as you say, there were different rules back then.

I had a canvas Cavs/Price jersey. If you think that's no big deal, try Eastern Europe in late 80s:)

Quote Originally Posted by fandarko
    They're different players though. Price was more team oriented. Curry has better handles.

As for the Price/Nash comparison, I believe that Nash has better handles and is a more creative passer than Price. But as you say, there were different rules back then.

I had a canvas Cavs/Price jersey. If you think that's no big deal, try Eastern Europe in late 80s:)
    Curry has better dribble moves. As far as getting from place to place and minimizing turnovers Price was better. One played on a team that valued possessions and one takes a lot of risks and bad shots. I don't want my pgs taking bad shots and unjustified risks.

Little refresher from Fatal9ish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sua9u318wGo

Strangely enough both guys have an identical career TS% of 58.6%.

Not a bad comparison. Both guys were deadly shooters even off the dribble. As others have said Curry is more shoot first with better handles. Price might be the better option on a strong team.

I loved Price's game. Under today's rules he would have been special. Back then guys couldn't guard him so they got rough with him. I think he would have had a longer career under today's rules

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry
    Little refresher from Fatal9ish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sua9u318wGo
    Just watching that, forgot how good he was at changing pace off the dribble. Deceptively fast.....

People saying that Curry has better handles I think are confusing flashier handles with better handles. I highly doubt Curry's handles are in any way better. They both use the same moves to create space. Curry will just occasionally do fancy dribbles while standing in one place, which Price never did, since back then that wasnt cool.

Local High School Star Akhenaten's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    He is just streaky and takes bad shots.

He's a CAREER 45% shooter from 3 on near 6 3's per game
    this season he shot near 8 threes and still shot 45%

he's the very antithesis of a streak shooter
    again

I'm not really impressed with Curry's speed or explosion. Mark Price was underrated in how fast he went and how fast he changed direction. Curry does however have a very good offhand which allows him to go both ways. But very rarely do you see him drive either way without a pick or after crossing a defender up. He will almost always step back for a 3. Maybe its the bad ankle he has been dealing with for a few years but Curry should be a lot quicker than what we're seeing of him

Banned

Mark Price was never a top 15 player like Curry currently is. I'd take Steph, even with his glass ankles.