Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314
    National High School Star

Default Re: Kobe gets dissed by Clipper post game, predict DRAMA

Basic basketball knowledge here. Please pay attention. Just because you shoot 50% it doesn't mean it's always good.

You people don't understand basketball deep enough. When Kobe takes an iffy shot, it gives the defense a free pass. Since the Lakers stand around that means the defense doesn't have to work very hard either.

When the ball goes inside, defenses have to react. The bigs get worn down by having to defend in the post. With a guy as big as Bynum, he should be beating guys up and tiring them out and getting them in foul trouble. When the front line has foul trouble that means the front line has to play more passive and stop trying for blocks and making plays since they are in foul trouble. It also means more minutes for the BACK UPS to play which makes every singe thing easier for your teammates because the starters are on the bench.

It's also a huge plus to get free throws from the penalty. Once a team is in penalty, their defense has to take it down a notch naturally.

If a player ran down the court and pulled up from 20 feet every single time and scored 50% of the attempts do you think the team would win? Never. Basketball is far more complex than just saying anybody who makes 50% in a game played a good game.

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Now that I think about it the ridiculousness of the situation is comical. Only Kobe could garner this much criticism for playing well. If it was any other top player like Durant or Rose there wouldn't be near this type of reaction. They'd be praised. I've lurked on this board for a while and funny enough it's always the same characters trolling. Watch what happens next game Kobe will come out and try to facilitate the team and get them going, if they lose all these arm chair psychologists will claim Kobe is throwing games and being passive to prove a point, if they win they'll claim Kobe is overrated and needs to be carried by his bigs. Rinse and repeat it's always the same song on insidehoops.
    Bullsh!t. You just haven't been reading Lebron Threads lately

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Force
    Basic basketball knowledge here. Please pay attention. Just because you shoot 50% it doesn't mean it's always good.

You people don't understand basketball deep enough. When Kobe takes an iffy shot, it gives the defense a free pass. Since the Lakers stand around that means the defense doesn't have to work very hard either.

When the ball goes inside, defenses have to react. The bigs get worn down by having to defend in the post. With a guy as big as Bynum, he should be beating guys up and tiring them out and getting them in foul trouble. When the front line has foul trouble that means the front line has to play more passive and stop trying for blocks and making plays since they are in foul trouble. It also means more minutes for the BACK UPS to play which makes every singe thing easier for your teammates because the starters are on the bench.

It's also a huge plus to get free throws from the penalty. Once a team is in penalty, their defense has to take it down a notch naturally.

If a player ran down the court and pulled up from 20 feet every single time and scored 50% of the attempts do you think the team would win? Never. Basketball is far more complex than just saying anybody who makes 50% in a game played a good game.
    this.

People are so concerned with FG% that it really hurts the team.

Lebron's high FG% is hurting his team because he stops trying to win and shoot...to keep it high.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Now that I think about it the ridiculousness of the situation is comical. Only Kobe could garner this much criticism for playing well. If it was any other top player like Durant or Rose there wouldn't be near this type of reaction. They'd be praised. I've lurked on this board for a while and funny enough it's always the same characters trolling. Watch what happens next game Kobe will come out and try to facilitate the team and get them going, if they lose all these arm chair psychologists will claim Kobe is throwing games and being passive to prove a point, if they win they'll claim Kobe is overrated and needs to be carried by his bigs. Rinse and repeat it's always the same song on insidehoops.
    This.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by disel
    Kobes me centric attitude drove out one of the most dominante bigs of alltime and drew a wedge with a guy who could tolerate jordans meglomaniacle attitude but could not tolerate kobes.
    You mean the guy that burned bridges with almost every team he ever ended up on?

It is kind of true though. If you ignore teammates too much you're taking them out of the game on the other end. Your big man isn't going to be into the game if he never scores. You ever notice when a scrub is on fire his defense picks up as well? Well it works that way with anyone.

Sometimes you have to let a lesser player shoot so he has your back on defense.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Person of Interest: Kobe Bryant

Stuck with an aging roster and just 10,000 points shy of Kareem's record, what, exactly is Kobe playing for?

Banned

When Kobe is shooting poorly people say he needs to stop shooting and let his teammates take shots.

When Bynum and Gasol are shooting poorly people say they need to take more shots?

Only on ISH...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    When Kobe is shooting poorly people say he needs to stop shooting and let his teammates take shots.

When Bynum and Gasol are shooting poorly people say they need to take more shots?

Only on ISH...
    There's a difference between actually shooting poorly and some guy ballhogging for 20 seconds then passing it to a big for a 18 foot bail out shot.

Inefficient offense leads to poor shot selection which leads to poor shooting percentage and poor rebounding.

This is exactly what people mean when they say stats don't tell the whole story. Numbers don't lie, but people sure as shit misrepresent the context of the numbers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    There's a difference between actually shooting poorly and some guy ballhogging for 20 seconds then passing it to a big for a 18 foot bail out shot.

Inefficient offense leads to poor shot selection which leads to poor shooting percentage and poor rebounding.

This is exactly what people mean when they say stats don't tell the whole story. Numbers don't lie, but people sure as shit misrepresent the context of the numbers.
    You mean like how people are doing with Kobe's FGA numbers?

So let me get this straight, Kobe should have just checked out and said "Ok guys, people on the internet say I should not shoot." and just give it to Gasol and Bynum (who were struggling) so they can start missing more? I don't understand. Why should bigs who aren't the #1 option who are shooting 7-17 and 6-13 get more shots when you have a guy who's hot shooting over 60%? If the roles were reversed you know damn well you guys would say that Kobe shouldn't have gotten more shots.

To a degree, yes.

So let me get this straight, Kobe should have just checked out and said "Ok guys, people on the internet say I should not shoot." and just give it to Gasol and Bynum (who were struggling) so they can start missing more? I don't understand. Why should bigs who aren't the #1 option who are shooting 7-17 and 6-13 get more shots when you have a guy who's hot shooting over 60%? If the roles were reversed you know damn well you guys would say that Kobe shouldn't have gotten more shots.
    I kind of already explained this in the post you just quoted.

Why does it HAVE to be one or the other?

No one is saying Kobe shouldn't get shots and "check out", just get a game flow as a team instead of just going screen-Kobe iso every play for the last 8 minutes if a game and one plenty of other possesions throughout the game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Force

this has no meaning. if the other team shoots 40% from 2 then they will lose to the player who shoots 50%. you need context. More often than not though, shooting 50% for a perimeter player is a measure of having an efficient game.