Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Made that high school varsity squad

Default Damian Lillard vs Kyrie Irving

who would you build your franchise with for next 10 years?

Local High School Star

Default Re: Damian Lillard vs Kyrie Irving

goatrie irving

Lillard

NBA rookie of the year

Do alot of people really think Lillard and McCollum have similar skillsets?

I see alot of people say their skillsets are too similar and I really don't think some people realize how dynamic they are as a backcourt and why that's going to drive the offense for years to come.

Dame is a physical driver, he uses his explosive athleticism, strength and a few go-to dribble moves to get to the rim, he tries to go through or over you at the rim. As a result he gets to the line alot more but also gets blocked alot more. CJ is a finesse driver, he uses his insane handles, his agility, and his craftiness to get to the rim and tries to finish before you have a chance to make contact or block him with a floater or acrobatic layup.

CJ is great from midrange and once again uses his dribble and agility to get to whatever spot he wants. Dame is a solid midrange shooter but has to rely on alot more contested midrange shots cuz he can't get a full head of steam to the rim and therefore can't get great midrange shots on a whim like CJ can.

Dame is a 3 point shooter that will take any look given to him and often times hit it, with many of them being contested or from way outside of the 3 point line. CJ takes almost all 'good' 3 pointers by spotting up or ocassionally making a great dribble move to get a very open shot of the nature Dame doesn't generally get off the dribble.

On paper, they score in similar ways but when you watch them the way they attack literally couldn't be anymore different. Lillard is physical and unpredictable, CJ scores with finesse and craftiness. [COLOR="Blue"]Lillard is a Westbrook[/COLOR] while [COLOR="Blue"]CJ is a Kyrie[/COLOR], and while neither of them are as good as those 2 it creates an extremely dynamic offensive attack. Asking a guard to try to guard Dame and CJ on back to back possessions and handle their difference in tendencies is like putting a defender through the shredder.

Tl;dr: just read an article that said they have similar skillsets for hopefully the last time and wanted to make this diagnosis while the team is one of the big stories in the league

Mugshot from SlyCooper Nilocon165's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMax

I see alot of people say their skillsets are too similar and I really don't think some people realize how dynamic they are as a backcourt and why that's going to drive the offense for years to come.

Dame is a physical driver, he uses his explosive athleticism, strength and a few go-to dribble moves to get to the rim, he tries to go through or over you at the rim. As a result he gets to the line alot more but also gets blocked alot more. CJ is a finesse driver, he uses his insane handles, his agility, and his craftiness to get to the rim and tries to finish before you have a chance to make contact or block him with a floater or acrobatic layup.

CJ is great from midrange and once again uses his dribble and agility to get to whatever spot he wants. Dame is a solid midrange shooter but has to rely on alot more contested midrange shots cuz he can't get a full head of steam to the rim and therefore can't get great midrange shots on a whim like CJ can.

Dame is a 3 point shooter that will take any look given to him and often times hit it, with many of them being contested or from way outside of the 3 point line. CJ takes almost all 'good' 3 pointers by spotting up or ocassionally making a great dribble move to get a very open shot of the nature Dame doesn't generally get off the dribble.

On paper, they score in similar ways but when you watch them the way they attack literally couldn't be anymore different. Lillard is physical and unpredictable, CJ scores with finesse and craftiness. [COLOR="Blue"]Lillard is a Westbrook[/COLOR] while [COLOR="Blue"]CJ is a Kyrie[/COLOR], and while neither of them are as good as those 2 it creates an extremely dynamic offensive attack. Asking a guard to try to guard Dame and CJ on back to back possessions and handle their difference in tendencies is like putting a defender through the shredder.

Tl;dr: just read an article that said they have similar skillsets for hopefully the last time and wanted to make this diagnosis while the team is one of the big stories in the league
    Where did you copy and paste this from?

I feel like you gotta go with the durable commodity here in Damian. It's very close between the two of them, and offensively they are both deadly... but the injury concerns make me lean towards the safer Lillard.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMax

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000...7549/844916179

Mugshot from SlyCooper Nilocon165's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    haha I was right

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Ouch.

Lmao to be fair maybe that was his post?

Irving. He has better midrange and better at finishing at the rim.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
    I feel like you gotta go with the durable commodity here in Damian. It's very close between the two of them, and offensively they are both deadly... but the injury concerns make me lean towards the safer Lillard.
    I just don't understand...

Kyrie is younger than Lillard and he just registered an incredible playoff run, capped off by hitting the game-winning shot in a Finals Game 7. He averaged 31 points on 51% from the field in the final and decisive five games of the series against a 73-win team.

For the whole playoffs, he averaged 25/5 on 48/45/88 splits.

Throw out the fact that Kyrie is also a 3x All-Star, ASG MVP, FIBA MVP, etc...

Don't we always say that the playoffs is where guys separate themselves? There have been great players that have never had a run in the playoffs and The Finals like Kyrie just had at 24, in the most critical, pressure-packed moments.

It was close before this year's playoffs. Now, I don't see it.

Local High School Star

Considering that there's no such thing as a championship team without multiple versatile stars, I'd go with Irving because he's a more talented offensive player.

Irving isn't an incredible passer, but he is serviceable and I'd focus on getting a few other nice passers and defenders for the team, so his score-first mentality wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Lillard leading his teams to the playoffs this year was very impressive, but I've still seen no evidence that he can play on an even level with other elite point guards. I haven't seen Lillard truly torch an elite defense in the playoffs yet, and I'm not sure he ever will be able to. He isn't a very good midrange shooter, and he can't create separation nearly as well as Irving. He also doesn't finish as well because his standing reach is lower and though he's got a great vertical leap, he doesn't have Irving's body control and first step.

Kyrie is nearly as good of a three point shooter, a much better midrange shooter and a way better finisher, so I'd take him, though Lillard is still a great player.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I just don't understand...

Kyrie is younger than Lillard and he just registered an incredible playoff run, capped off by hitting the game-winning shot in a Finals Game 7. He averaged 31 points on 51% from the field in the final and decisive five games of the series against a 73-win team.

For the whole playoffs, he averaged 25/5 on 48/45/88 splits.

Throw out the fact that Kyrie is also a 3x All-Star, ASG MVP, FIBA MVP, etc...

Don't we always say that the playoffs is where guys separate themselves? There have been great players that have never had a run in the playoffs and The Finals like Kyrie just had at 24, in the most critical, pressure-packed moments.

It was close before this year's playoffs. Now, I don't see it.
    I've believed for a long time that both Damian and Kyrie have the assassin gene. There have been games this playoff in particular where I kind of expected more from Lillard, but I do think playing next to LeBron James he would have a great opportunity to perform just as well as Irving did.

I mean if the question is "who would I rather build around" as it was said in the OP... my honest answer is Lillard just based on the fact that he's shown an ability to stay on the court. I know that can change fast (a la Russ's knee issues) and Irving has said he's made certain changes to his game to try to avoid getting injured again and choosing his spots more carefully, etc. At the end of the day I just "trust" Lillard to be there more than I trust Kyrie, and to me that's what separates two otherwise extremely comparable players.