Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #31
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Default Re: Subjects/Opinions you should probably keep to yourself

just saw jon stewart or whoever it was talk about political correctness, and he is pro-profiling, i totally agree
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #32
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
half blood prince> most of the 5-10 best films of each year. deathly hallows part one was good to
half-blood prince literally blew by whatever standards you care to choose. it was one eye roll after the next. the fact that you basically just called it a top five annual film is asinine.

i still can't wait to see Deathly Hallows though. just cause it's HP. i didn't even know it was out yet.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #33
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
A few decades ago, society would shoot you down if you claimed that gays should have equal rights with straights. People would point fingers at you all the time, most of them calling you gay yourself. Now, it's the exact opposite, and I won't even go to similar situations concerning color, sex, religion. Or, of course, politics, by pointing out examples like the 30's, when the German society, after the needed brainwashing, perceived Hitler as a savior of humanity and now people want to forget he even existed.
The annoying thing isn't that society has the right to disagree with a certain opinion, it is the fact that a lot believe that they have the right to bury under the ground that opinion by them just being numerically more and by appearing "really mad at it" without providing counterarguments.
Individuals do have the ability to think by themselves, but they usually don't find the time and will to do it, so they follow society and society just follows the popular opinion, which is formed after not-that-much-and-deep thought.

that reminded me of this talk show that featured a couple of religious figures responding to monty pythons life of brian. their critisism is almost bizarre compared to todays standards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqAHHhr7vmU
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #34
bagelred
Stare

Yes I won't discuss any alternate explanations anymore regarding world events, such as 9/11. People don't want to hear it, so I don't discuss it anymore.

Religion is definitely a no-no, unless you know the people very well.

Anus sex....that's usually a no. Fellatio is ok though.

EDIT: ISH has blocked a perfectly non offensive english word. Canal without the "C". That's kind of pathetic. You can't even say someone is **** retentive. I'd love to hear the explanation on this one. Yet, you can write shit, which is recognized as a curse word. Good job ISH.

What about anus? Can you say that?

Last edited by bagelred : 04-29-2011 at 12:42 PM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #35
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
depends who i'm talking to. nothing is off-limits for me, and i prefer hanging around people who aren't too caught up in their own sh*t, whatever it may be, to have a chat about it. i don't see why people shy away from spirited conversation at the dinner table. what's the big deal? as long as nobody is actually getting legitimately heated, let's hash this stuff out. better than "how was your day?" and "what's going on tomorrow?". people talk way too much about their day to day schedules and happenings. nobody really cares when you get down to it. so let's talk about something, yaknow, topical. like incidental stiffies.
I'm pretty much the same. I'll talk about anything, as long as the person I'm talking to can be rational about it. I won't botter talking to people about things I know they will not even listen to or are too closed minded about.

And what's wrong with harry potter? It's just a fantasy book like anything else, they are kids they don't have ****ed up talks or make connects to random shit like adults do, but of course that's just me.

Religion is definitely something I don't talk about to people I don't know well, it can really get ugly. I will talk to people that are open about it though.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #36
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
half-blood prince literally blew by whatever standards you care to choose. it was one eye roll after the next. the fact that you basically just called it a top five annual film is asinine.

i still can't wait to see Deathly Hallows though. just cause it's HP. i didn't even know it was out yet.

from a technical standpoint alone half-blood prince shits on virtually every blockbuster of the decade, on purely cinematography it almost warrants that. if you didnt appreciate it for that element then i dont know what to tell. not only was it the best looking hp film but it was also the best tonally by far, funny and moving in places. it may not have had the pace of azkaban(which i consider the 2nd best harry potter film) but it was easily the stand out film in the franchise imo.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #37
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
Wish I never argued about government healthcare. Does anybody really believe that Cuba has a better standard of living then America?
WhyTF are you conflating those two things? Its pretty clear by any metric that cuba (and pretty much every other nationalized healthcare system) have a better average standard of care than the US (the only for-profit system left, for a reason) and at a much cheaper cost.

Now, typical bait and switch argument here, juxtaposing that with a "standard of living" comment, when we all know that standard of living has much more to do with monetary exchange and material goods buying power rather than access to healthcare, etc. lame comment. If you oppose nationalized healthcare (or the stupid inefficient compromise of bulking up the insurance industry) thats fine. But I would hope you could present a much more cogent argument against it than this.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #38
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
from a technical standpoint alone half-blood prince shits on virtually every blockbuster of the decade, on purely cinematography it almost warrants that. if you didnt appreciate it for that element then i dont know what to tell. not only was it the best looking hp film but it was also the best tonally by far, funny and moving in places. it may not have had the pace of azkaban(which i consider the 2nd best harry potter film) but it was easily the stand out film in the franchise imo.
ah, i suppose that makes some sense then. i can appreciate visuals to an extent, but i think they're much lower on my criteria list than they are for most. creatively, as an adaptation of a story that i've got a real soft spot for, it was bunk. the script stunk, the characters were stiff, the pace -- as it is in every HP adaptation, even the best of them -- was unsteady. it just didn't mesh. nor has any of the movies in the series, with the exception of Azkaban. as far as technique goes though, i guess i didn't pay enough attention to give an opinion, and i'm sure you did which means you're probably right. movies that are as creatively poor as this never succeed in drawing my attention to the subtleties.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #39
PowerGlove
By Any Means

I dont talk about religion, there is simply no point. No one is going to change their opinion on anything so why even bother. I'm actually shying away from sports discussions as well. People are just too passionate about sports.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #40
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Dont want your kids to watch Harry Potter? Really? Usually the ones who don't want that are suburban white moms who are moron evanglists.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #41
step_back
College superstar

I try to stay out of any religious conversation. My views are quite radical
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #42
Ass Dan
LOL Maker, Intraweb

Violent J
Shaggy 2 Dope
Juggalos
ICP
Ass Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #43
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler
that's only in bars... you should be able to discuss those topics
with your friends & family without being crucified.

lol wut

i would NEVER discuss that shit with someone in my family, it's always with people i dont know

100% of the time it turns into a personal thing, with someone you dont know, thats never the issue
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #44
Legend of Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler
I was having a lovely dinner with my family & friends tonight and somehow
the topic of Children's movies comes up. So I say "I don't think it's a good
idea that my children watch any of those Harry Potter movies"

The $hit storm that ensued right after that comment was ridiculous.

Good Lord... maybe next time I'll learn to keep my opinions to myself.

Just to defend my case... wikipedia has whole page dedicated to the the topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religio..._Potter_series
Religious debates over the Harry Potter series

You guys got any topics you wish you never discussed openly? 9/11 is the obvious
one,... Jesus Christ is another...

If JC is your savior for this dark horrific world, and you do believe that, right? ... then why in the hell would you keep Jesus Christ to yourself? Isn't that the exact opposite of what we're supposed to be doing? We're supposed to shout His holy name in glory from the rooftops.

Matthew 10:33 “But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven."
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:19 AM   #45
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
Ignoring the outlandish "killing old ladies" example writen in the previous post, the annoying thing with society is that the most popular view, regardless of its validity, is perceived as being the correct one, and holding the opposite view becomes a source of discrimination and stereotyping. A few decades ago, society would shoot you down if you claimed that gays should have equal rights with straights. People would point fingers at you all the time, most of them calling you gay yourself. Now, it's the exact opposite, and I won't even go to similar situations concerning color, sex, religion. Or, of course, politics, by pointing out examples like the 30's, when the German society, after the needed brainwashing, perceived Hitler as a savior of humanity and now people want to forget he even existed.
The annoying thing isn't that society has the right to disagree with a certain opinion, it is the fact that a lot believe that they have the right to bury under the ground that opinion by them just being numerically more and by appearing "really mad at it" without providing counterarguments.
Individuals do have the ability to think by themselves, but they usually don't find the time and will to do it, so they follow society and society just follows the popular opinion, which is formed after not-that-much-and-deep thought.

the masses can be asses

because of "group think"

i am afraid that civil discourse and critical thinking will be skills that even fewer people will have in the future
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: