Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
    5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Jordan Says Only 4 Current Player Could Play in His Era

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    I couldn't agree more.

Plus, LeBron isn't the quickest off the dribble. That hand check would keep defenders LEGALLY even more glued to his hip.

I truly think in a more physical league LeBron would have to switch to PF. And why is STATUTORY laughing at being guarded by Ehlo, Payton, Dumars, Alvin Robertson?

3 of those fellas are some of the best perimeter defenders the game has ever seen. Why do Kobe Kids feel the need to argue length or athleticism = great defense. Because it doesn't. At all.

Those guys would be difficult to beat off the dribble for LeBron. Hell, he had difficulty with old Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion.

If you've ever handchecked someone 30 or even 20 lbs heavier you know how useless it is. For it to have any affect/leverage you have to plant your feet hard. For a guy that weights 40 lbs and fast its a pure joke. Nobody handchecked Malone or Barkley if they did they just spent off of them, which is easeir than making a move. Lebron is as heavy and way quicker then Malone or Barkley.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    More depth or the illusion of more depth. By that, I mean, do you just remember more standout players? More standout players doesn't necessarily mean more league wide depth. Kind of the opposite actually. If you have 20 guys that stand out, that seems like a lot of really good players, but if you have like 60 really good players, it's only the truly elite players that stand out. The 50 or so really good players just kinda blend in.
    Im talking more standout HOF caliber players across the board. Guys that jump off the page if you're a true bball fan. U gotta realize the era of Kobe, Duncan, KG. etc. is closing soon. Out of that era and today, how many SF's will make the HOF? U got Pierce and Bron for sure, KD and Melo most certainly. Compare that to the guys in the 80's. U have nearly double the amount of guys on that level at SF. U got guys like Bird, Nique, Pippen, Mullin, Worthy, English, and Dantley all in the HOF. SF doesn't have the same DEPTH in terms of elite level talent. On the other hand, there is more elite level talent at PG than there has ever been currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcats2013
    Manu Ginobili says hi.
    injuries and pop held manu back.

5-time NBA All-Star

Top scoring SFin the 90's.

The top SF scorers in the 90's at SF position are Nique and Hill who are very different from the rest, then there's Chris Mullin, *Glenn Robinson, Glenn Rice, and Antoine Walker - its one of the worse decades for SF's. The 90's favored shooters and guys with moves from this position. The argument for speed and quicness to succeed is that Sprewell, primarily at SG tho, who is only quick, didn't have much moves, comes in like 7th in scoring one year. All of these guys cracked the top 10 in scoring in the decade. I can't think of an argument against speed and quickness from a SF scorer.

Chris Mullin was a very slow shooter with a few moves - Very similar to a healthy Mike Miller.

Glenn Rice another guy for the all slow motion team. Good shooter. Wasn't good with the dribble. A rich mans Martell Webster.

Antoine Walker shot 414% for his career, but 32.5 from 3 point land. Had moves though - best one was the head shimmy after a made basket. Was slow and couldn't defend.

Glenn Robinson - like all listed above he is slow as molasses and sucked at defense. Had good power moves and could make an open three. He was consistent in his output but like Antoine has the lazy label.

Its amazing that Pippen didn't get a reputation as a lock down defender when these guys are among the best out there. Obviously Lebron's speed would be very problematic for the league.

Hill and Dominique are qualified scorers. Top defenders are Rodman, Anthony Mason and Pippen. Pippen had real trouble with Hill and Dominique. Rodman slowed them all down (can't recall him on Hill tho) in several instances but Dominique got him good on a few as well.

At the SG position are Finley, Sprewell, Hardaway and Payton are the other wing players that make the cut as top ten scorers. I think reggie Miller made it one year too.

This is not impressive at all.

5-time NBA All-Star

Sour grapes on KG??? In one of Jordan's later all star games Jordan had to guard KG, KG didn't take it easy on him at all, and won MVP.

Durant who is likely to break a couple of Jordan scoring records, is Dirk on steriods. As to how he can have one on his list and not the other is bizarre. But the GOAT has been on a bitter drink the whole week.

Jordan isn't really good at talent evaluation straight up so transpoing people back into another era, is definitely a bit too taxing on him. Particurally, guys who don't wear his shoes.

Very good NBA starter

I'm glad he didn't list D-Whistle. He'd definitely be a scrub in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard

The top SF scorers in the 90's at SF position are Nique and Hill who are very different from the rest, then there's Chris Mullin, *Glenn Robinson, Glenn Rice, and Antoine Walker - its one of the worse decades for SF's. The 90's favored shooters and guys with moves from this position. The argument for speed and quicness to succeed is that Sprewell, primarily at SG tho, who is only quick, didn't have much moves, comes in like 7th in scoring one year. All of these guys cracked the top 10 in scoring in the decade. I can't think of an argument against speed and quickness from a SF scorer.

Chris Mullin was a very slow shooter with a few moves - Very similar to a healthy Mike Miller.

Glenn Rice another guy for the all slow motion team. Good shooter. Wasn't good with the dribble. A rich mans Martell Webster.

Antoine Walker shot 414% for his career, but 32.5 from 3 point land. Had moves though - best one was the head shimmy after a made basket. Was slow and couldn't defend.

Glenn Robinson - like all listed above he is slow as molasses and sucked at defense. Had good power moves and could make an open three. He was consistent in his output but like Antoine has the lazy label.

Its amazing that Pippen didn't get a reputation as a lock down defender when these guys are among the best out there. Obviously Lebron's speed would be very problematic for the league.

Hill and Dominique are qualified scorers. Top defenders are Rodman, Anthony Mason and Pippen. Pippen had real trouble with Hill and Dominique. Rodman slowed them all down (can't recall him on Hill tho) in several instances but Dominique got him good on a few as well.

At the SG position are Finley, Sprewell, Hardaway and Payton are the other wing players that make the cut as top ten scorers. I think reggie Miller made it one year too.

That is because it is a horrible list. Did you really compare Mullin to Mike Miller? Rice to Webster?

Ever hear of a guy named Mashburn? Gill?

No mention of Drexler and Mitch Richmond among the SGs?

Wow
    Last edited by tontoz; 02-15-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard

What years are you basing this on? I find it too hard to make any fair assesment because players careers overlap, positions change, injuries. Theres far too many variables to make this determination.

I do feel the Center position has been terrible over the last decade. And you can base that on any particular year.

I am sure that there are more than just four players who could play in the rugged '80s and 90s. I actually think D-Wade could thrive in that '80s and '90s basketball era. Kyrie Irving is another that comes to mind. KG could play he just would not be doing any of that silly barking and trying to punk a player. I love KG but Xavier McDaniel or a Charles Oakley would put a stop to that silly stuff.

National High School Star

Wade couldn't make it in the 90's. It takes a certain toughness and skill. MJ, Drexler, and Miller are clearly superior than Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
    Wade couldn't make it in the 90's. It takes a certain toughness and skill. MJ, Drexler, and Miller are clearly superior than Wade.
    Don't forget steve Kerr and Jeff Horacek. You know, the "tough guys".

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Don't forget steve Kerr and Jeff Horacek. You know, the "tough guys".
    i'll tell you what, and you probably don't care because i doubt you were a miami heat fan in 2006. wade would have been a little more cautious recklessly driving to the hoop like he was constantly doing that year.

Quote Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
    i'll tell you what, and you probably don't care because i doubt you were a miami heat fan in 2006. wade would have been a little more cautious recklessly driving to the hoop like he was constantly doing that year.
    Wrong again Bob, but I can see why you would think that with absolutely no evidence to suggest it to be the case.

Local High School Star kenny817's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NA2126
    Dirk is pretty soft, if that's what MJ was basing his statement off of.

Negged you noob

The Answer

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    he only named guys with rings.

to mj, rings are everything. it's his subtle way of telling everybody he's always above magic and bird, no discussion.

Thank God David Stern named the Finals MVP Award after Bill " I have 5 more rings than Jordan" Russell.