Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Nets 2015 offseason discussion thread

The celtics aren't getting a top 5 pick. A lot of people had the nets in the lottery last season too. D will leaving does not make the team go from playoffs to 5th worst team in the league. The bench did not get too much worse. Lopez had a few injuries in the beginning of the season but after that he was relatively healthy last season. Jack started a good portion of last December. He played well. Just couldn't play with Deron. Won't have that problem this year

Quote Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
    The celtics aren't getting a top 5 pick. A lot of people had the nets in the lottery last season too. D will leaving does not make the team go from playoffs to 5th worst team in the league. The bench did not get too much worse. Lopez had a few injuries in the beginning of the season but after that he was relatively healthy last season. Jack started a good portion of last December. He played well. Just couldn't play with Deron. Won't have that problem this year
    No one who wants to win will be top 5. Let's say Nets are bottom 5 3/4 of the year (just for purposes of my point, i don't think so). Last 4th they will be trying while half the teams are happy to lose. If you want to win, you have to be absolutiely horrific to be less than like 10th, 11th from bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    i agree that losing deron is going to hurt during the coming season, and i think everyone in the nets' world is justifiably nervous about the prospect of jack starting. we're left putting a lot of faith in his understanding that he has to play a different style now... one which he may not be very good at, even best-case scenerio.

i certainly couldn't say whether d-will is finished at this point. i agree he's never going to be the same player and simply doesn't have leadership ability, but when healthy he's still a PG with value. i have to think that lowered expectations will help him a lot in dallas, and the are a smart club that usually scouts very well and makes smart decisions.

once again, i don't agree that bargnani is a poor signing. it's low risk / moderately-high reward. they can play him if he's doing well and cut him anytime they need his spot, so what exactly is the problem? he's also highly motivated this season with an axe to grind and a desire to prove himself. that's usually a very good thing.

also, i don't see an especial problem with lopez' backup. the nets are pretty deep at the big man position this year.

i disagree that it's been a bad offseason. a number of problems got taken care of this offseason, and that was the goal. how the team performs this season is much less important than building a better, more efficient foundation after all. after five years of building on quicksand, that's another very good thing.

i'm not really sure what the knicks did this offseason, but fisher and jackson are very savvy bball minds and i almost have to assume they've made some key improvements.

"it's a process"... yadda yadda.
    i didn't say Bargnani is a bad signing. But when i see paragraphs talking about his basketball acumen, or effort, I have to respond.

When people say Deron will bounce back and be motivated I'm sure every Nets fans rolls their eyes like PLEASE. Bargnani is LESS motivated and has a worse personality than Deron.

   

pretty sure i was responding to the shade guy, but whatever.

deron and bargnani are obviously going to be hugely motivated this season, so i don't see effort as a problem this time.

just out of curiosity, what exactly is so terrible about barn's personality? on the nets, we have guys doing jumping jacks over the fact that deron is gone.

I hope bargnani has a good season, Fresh start and all but who really knows. Maybe he could be a pleasant surprise like how Andray Blatche was... Where wizards fans hated him and he had a horrible rep to a solid role player

pretty sure i was responding to the shade guy, but whatever.

deron and bargnani are obviously going to be hugely motivated this season, so i don't see effort as a problem this time.

just out of curiosity, what exactly is so terrible about barn's personality? on the nets, we have guys doing jumping jacks over the fact that deron is gone.
    Bargs just doesn't seem like he enjoys playing basketball. I think I saw him really into the game maybe 3 times as a Knick. He's very casual in his approach. If he's hurt and should miss 3 games, he'll miss 2 weeks. And you get upset because you can see he has the physical tools to get things done and he just won't/can't.

I see this playing out as you see him in preseason, see what he can do, go OOH and then at some point during the season you'll want him to play just to see if Hollins strangles him.
    Last edited by niko; 08-20-2015 at 08:22 PM.

   

big men look worst of all when working through injury. longer parts and physics tend to make them extra tentative. look at bropez last season for a pretty good example of this jekyll and hyde effect.

the thing that impressed me about barns is that before he started getting hurt (before he came to the knicks), he had substantially improved the physicality and efficiency of his game.

the biggest thing i suspect about barns is not that he lacks the skills or desire, but that he doesn't have an NBA-rugged body... just like many other league washouts.

It's really a low risk move. If he sucks, he'll get benched and we didn't invest much into him so the signing won't hurt. Who knows, maybe he'll rejuvenate his career here. He did average 21 points a game in Toronto. TBH all he needs to do is come in and knock down some 3s.

Also R.I.P Darryl "Chocolate Thunder" Dawkins.. I didn't get to watch him play because he was before my time but he always seemed like a class act. One of the greatest Nets of all time.

   

i seem to remember him being on the sixers when i was back in philly.

it was kind of a fun back-and-forth contest to see if they could manufacture a backglass strong enough to resist darryl's power dunks. also, i'm amazed nobody got seriously injured by those big frames when they fell.

obviously they got it right eventually, otherwise shaq would have broken them every game.

i seem to remember him being on the sixers when i was back in philly.

it was kind of a fun back-and-forth contest to see if they could manufacture a backglass strong enough to resist darryl's power dunks. also, i'm amazed nobody got seriously injured by those big frames when they fell.

obviously they got it right eventually, otherwise shaq would have broken them every game.
    I saw him when I went to the triple OT nets bucks game. He was taking a lot of pics with the fans. It's so sad we lost a guy like him. Classy guy.

So Bojan Suffered a concussion last night and wants to play in his next game though the doctors are telling him to rest..... Why doesn't he just rest -_-

   

patriotism?

   

well shut my mouth and call me spanky...