Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rondo can't shoot because of his big hands

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

Default Re: Rondo can't shoot because of his big hands

its not because of his big hands, its because his hands are the size of a 7 footer when he is only 6 foot. On top of that he has a 6'11 wingspan. Without getting into too much detail, the reason why he finds it so hard to get a consistent jumper is because relative to the size of his body, which essentially acts as the pivot, there is far more margin for error and deviation with each jump shot.

Quote Originally Posted by theaussieguy
    its not because of his big hands, its because his hands are the size of a 7 footer when he is only 6 foot. On top of that he has a 6'11 wingspan. Without getting into too much detail, the reason why he finds it so hard to get a consistent jumper is because relative to the size of his body, which essentially acts as the pivot, there is far more margin for error and deviation with each jump shot.
    6'9 but you're right. It's more likely that it's his wingspan/height disparity that affects his mechanics rather than the often-used excuse of his hands. Countless players have proven that wrong. But Allen Iverson had a 6'4 wingspan and he had no problems shooting. Iverson was 1 inch shorter than rondo BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by theaussieguy
    no excuses

College superstar

I believe that all of this these excuses are blown out of proportion. Rondo has had the same body/makeup for a minimum of 12 years, but it's more likely that he's had similar relative lengths, etc, his entire life.

Since that's the case with Rondo, or Shaq, or anyone else... they have YEARS of time to get used to it and find something that works. There literally is no physical excuse. They either are, or are not, good shooters and individuals that put in the time.

Rondo career fg% 46.9

Kobe career fg% 44.9%

Quote Originally Posted by Hittin_Shots
    Rondo career fg% 46.9

Kobe career fg% 44.9%
    anyone got stats for beyond 5 feet?

Banned

He's just a poor shooter, but his arm proportions certainly don't help

For reference, both Rudy Gay and DMC have 8 inches or so difference between height and wingspan...

I think some people underestimate what it takes to go from a non shooter to being a decent shooter in certain spots. Rondo is never going to have a natural shooting touch but as a catch in shoot or pull up jumper he has been decent for a number of years. He'll never be the type to shoot off the dribble or get off a shot in tight spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by StephHamann
    anyone got stats for beyond 5 feet?
    Rondo is terrible 5 ft and in as well at least the last few season but he is just smarter in his shot selection than Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    Jesus Christ those are huge hands.

well, you know what they say about big feet and hands

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker
    well, you know what they say about big feet and hands

big socks and mittens?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    I believe that all of this these excuses are blown out of proportion. Rondo has had the same body/makeup for a minimum of 12 years, but it's more likely that he's had similar relative lengths, etc, his entire life.

Since that's the case with Rondo, or Shaq, or anyone else... they have YEARS of time to get used to it and find something that works. There literally is no physical excuse. They either are, or are not, good shooters and individuals that put in the time.
    I agree with the excuses thing. Michael Jordan has some the biggest hands in league history (ditto Julius Erving and the aforementioned Kawhi Leonard) but they never really had any sort of issue there.

Similarly, Reggie Jackson supposedly has close to a 7'0'' wingspan and he's a 90 percent free throw shooter and improving from deep (36 percent).

There's too many examples of guys with large hands and/or outlandish proportions still excelling as shooters for that excuse to fly.

Sometimes bad shooters are just bad shooters and that's all there is to it. Perhaps it's a mental misfire from youth that just can't ever be overcome. Perhaps it's stubbornness. Perhaps it's lack of practice. Perhaps it's the basketball equivalent of golf's yips.

I've always thought that large hands help you shoot better because it allows you to shoot with more touch. I have small hands and I know having another inch or so on my fingers would help me feel more of the ball and the release would have more touch. Also, you can just take wrist shots and not have to use your legs all the time for that needed power. A lot of Kobe's jumpers off balanced shots use a lot of wrist for that power.

I understand that at some point, your hands can be too big. Like for Shaq where it looks like a grapefruit in his hands. But for most wing players with big hands, I see it as an advantage.