Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default If the Lakers knock out the Spurs 1st Round

If the standings stay as they are. Looks like the Lakers will play the Spurs. The Spurs have had a few 60 game winning seasons and could be eliminated in the first round if they face the Lakers.

Where do the Spurs go from there?

Another 60 game season and early elimination just seems like a waste of regular season. Reminds me of the good Seattle teams of the 90's, however they had played in deep Jordan era.

I am not saying the Spurs will definitely be knocked out. But it's a strong possibility.

Should the Spurs look to finish 2nd so they can face Houston? I don

Default Re: If the Lakers knock out the Spurs 1st Round

Lakers suck and pose no threat, they probably won't even stay in the playoffs.

The Lakers could end up anywhere from 6-8. You play for home court advantage no matter what

Near-Life Experience TheGreatDeraj's Avatar

I'm a huge Laker fan and Spurs are probably the most favorable matchup for us, but I don't think they are scared of the Lakers. The spurs have a lot of advantages in the series.

1. Coaching. How may times has D'Antoni been outcoached by Popovich? More than enough for me to feel uneasy about this matchup.

2. Going along with number one: the spurs have an amazing offensive system. And while the Laker's defense has been improving it is still going to take quite an effort to stop Tony Parker, the Spurs ball movement and three point shooting. Kobe is probably going to have to play defense on Parker, at least in crunch time, while scoring a lot of points. In his 17th season.

3. Good defensive bigs can still give Howard a tough time scoring in the post especially if Dwight isn't 100% by the playoffs. I don't think he will be 100% until next season, so this could be Duncan's opportunity to turn back the clock and give us one more historic playoff series.

Having said that I am confident Lakers would win the series especially if Pau comes back.

Spurs will keep being regular season champions until Duncan retires and they rebuild. I don't think you can win a championship in this era with your best player only being the caliber of Tony Parker or an aging Tim Duncan. You need a Lebron, Wade, Dirk or Kobe class offensive player unless you are a historically elite defensive team like the Celtics in 08, Spurs in 07 or Detroit in 04.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatDeraj
    I'm a huge Laker fan and Spurs are probably the most favorable matchup for us, but I don't think they are scared of the Lakers. The spurs have a lot of advantages in the series.

1. Coaching. How may times has D'Antoni been outcoached by Popovich? More than enough for me to feel uneasy about this matchup.

2. Going along with number one: the spurs have an amazing offensive system. And while the Laker's defense has been improving it is still going to take quite an effort to stop Tony Parker, the Spurs ball movement and three point shooting. Kobe is probably going to have to play defense on Parker, at least in crunch time, while scoring a lot of points. In his 17th season.

3. Good defensive bigs can still give Howard a tough time scoring in the post especially if Dwight isn't 100% by the playoffs. I don't think he will be 100% until next season, so this could be Duncan's opportunity to turn back the clock and give us one more historic playoff series.

Having said that I am confident Lakers would win the series especially if Pau comes back.

Spurs will keep being regular season champions until Duncan retires and they rebuild. I don't think you can win a championship in this era with your best player only being the caliber of Tony Parker or an aging Tim Duncan. You need a Lebron, Wade, Dirk or Kobe class offensive player unless you are a historically elite defensive team like the Celtics in 08, Spurs in 07 or Detroit in 04.
    If Tony parker is hobbled, that greatly favors the lakers. I feel like Parker is truely the head of the snake with San Antonio along with a decent healthy Manu. Duncan to me is the third most important.

SA with a hobbled Parker are beatable for the lakers. SA is the only team in WC without a true difficult to defend SF. I like Leonard but hes more a hustle ahtletic 3....Artest can handle him

I'm not a fan of either team but Lakers do not want to see OKC,Clippers,Denver, or Memphis first round.

Now a Cavs fan again

Never has a barely .500 team that is terrible defensively with a bonehead of a coach been so overhyped. The Spurs would crush the Lakers. Get serious. The Lakers haven't even been that impressive as of late. They get destroyed by basically any elite team and squeak by the league's worst and mediocre first round exit teams.

Spurs sweep in 4.

Very good NBA starter

The bigger question is, where do the Lakers go after they lose in the playoffs??

How much longer does KB have? Does LA invest everything they got in Howard? Do they fire D'Antoni in the offseason?

Good college starter Noob Saibot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2010splash
    Never has a barely .500 team that is terrible defensively with a bonehead of a coach been so overhyped. The Spurs would crush the Lakers. Get serious. The Lakers haven't even been that impressive as of late. They get destroyed by basically any elite team and squeak by the league's worst and mediocre first round exit teams.

Spurs sweep in 4.
    This. but lets wait until April 14. We'll see if the Lakers can hang around, cuz now they are embarrassing OKC.

Near-Life Experience TheGreatDeraj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
    If Tony parker is hobbled, that greatly favors the lakers. I feel like Parker is truely the head of the snake with San Antonio along with a decent healthy Manu. Duncan to me is the third most important.

SA with a hobbled Parker are beatable for the lakers. SA is the only team in WC without a true difficult to defend SF. I like Leonard but hes more a hustle ahtletic 3....Artest can handle him

I'm not a fan of either team but Lakers do not want to see OKC,Clippers,Denver, or Memphis first round.
    Very true, somehow I actually forgot about the Tony Parker injury. If he is hobbled in the first round that would be a shame, because he has had a terrific season. Honestly, and I may just be biased here, but I do not see the Spurs beating the Lakers if Tony Parker isn't healthy.

OKC and Clippers would be the only teams I wouldn't want to see in the first round.

I'm not a believer in the Nuggets or Memphis to be honest. Nuggets rely heavily on a fast paced game and in the playoffs when the game slows down a bit I think they will struggle. Plus, I don't think the Nuggets are good enough defensively and I've never been a big George Carl fan.

Grizzlies lost their go to scorer and can't shoot the three well enough to make a serious run. The Grizzlies main offensive weapon, their interior play, will be offset by a Howard/Clark/Pau front line.

Kobe will be gassed by playoff time, TP and the Spurs will be well rested.

5 games.

Lakers cannot beat any of the top 5 seeds in a series. I hope they make the playoffs, but unless they REALLY put it together over the next 5 weeks, they are going to lose in the first round.
    Last edited by vert48; 03-11-2013 at 10:21 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54
    ive heard this before....

Banned

SA is gonna stay good in the offseason with post season disappointments every year as long as they have the core of Duncan/Parker/Ginobili. their fast system works to get a lot of wins, keeps fans happy but isn't gonna win a championship like the old system with a younger big 3 did

Troll who tries to provoke you

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54
    faaaking faker'tards & kobe'tards live in dream world.

so cut off from reality.

Lakers went into OT to beat Raptors, an ABSOLUTE BOTTOM FEEDER at home in LA

Lakers needed an ALL-TIME CHOKE JOB from HORNETS as they score 2 pts in final 8 mins of the game to pull off a NAIL BITER against BOTTOM FEEDING FRANCHISE.

& they know TONY PARKER will stay injured & LAL will win the series on the road in Game 7 with their pi$$$ poor pathetic ROAD RECORD.

faaaking delusional junkies.

Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan cotdt's Avatar

OKC is tanking against SAS right now because they don't want to play the Lakers.