Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Stop supporting Michael Jordan!

af1 ftw.

Nike has been doing that manufacturing in those cheap labor countries for years.

They don't care.

Look at it this way. People in those countries are, to be honest, living in standards way lower than USA or Europe.

So Nike comes there and gives them a job. Hard one, sure, but a job. To make things worse, Nike uses SECONDS to supervise production time. So if a worker there makes let's say - 10 queries, in 1 hour - they calculate it very easily. Query is worth X.YZ, you took 3600 seconds for it, you get X.YZ $.

LOL

It is what it is, that's that capitalism we strived and voted for.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi
    I just read that his new shoes that are set to drop Jan 31 are expected to be $190-230. Jordan has made so much money in his career from basketball to endorsements yet he contiuously puts out these high priced shoes. Doesn't he realize it's a recession? He only cares about himself. He knows he's the greatest to ever play the game and his brand is one of the most popular so you would think he'd cater to the people supporting him and put out reasonable prices on these shoes. This is the reason why I respect guys like Shaq and Marbury.

/rant
    They can't cheapen the Jordan line. It kills their entire branding strategy. Same reason you won't see Brooks Brothers or Lacoste coming down in price too much. Just kills their business models.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    They can't cheapen the Jordan line. It kills their entire branding strategy. Same reason you won't see Brooks Brothers or Lacoste coming down in price too much. Just kills their business models.
    They could (gasp!) adopt a different business model. You don't HAVE to sell shoes made for 3 dollars for 300.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

who cares about his shoes. how about actually getting him in a video game, he has enough advertising in them for a start...

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertime
    They could (gasp!) adopt a different business model. You don't HAVE to sell shoes made for 3 dollars for 300.
    Yeah Nike doesn't have to sell shoes at $300+, but they can, and if they can they will. As someone already addressed in this thread, it's supply and demand and it's a pretty simple concept to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    Yeah Nike doesn't have to sell shoes at $300+, but they can, and if they can they will. As someone already addressed in this thread, it's supply and demand and it's a pretty simple concept to grasp.
    Until sh*t hits the fan, and you realize though people demanded Hummers and Escalades, and you supplied them with them, you still owe more money than anyone can imagine. Then you have bailouts and layoffs and whatnots. You don't think Nike would beg the government for money?

Until sh*t hits the fan, and you realize though people demanded Hummers and Escalades, and you supplied them with them, you still owe more money than anyone can imagine. Then you have bailouts and layoffs and whatnots. You don't think Nike would beg the government for money?
    Nike don't need a bailout and I think at this point in time there are not many corporations that wouldn't ask for money from the government. But until sh!t hits the fan then Nike will probably continue with what they have been doing for so long; Selling over-priced sh!t to morons.

Free market. When people stop buying them, the price will go down.

i havent seen good pics of the new jordan. anyone care to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers13
    If you can afford them, who cares?

I don't buy the new J's anyhow, I like to look for the retros myself.
    I know, that's what I do. You can always tell the kids that don't know what they are doing buy the new ugly Jordan's. I try to find the III's or Space Jams. I hate Jordan's now, they keep releasing ugly versions of older shoes. Like the Melo 2.5 or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by lilojmayo
    have you seen MJ salary as a basketball player. Scrubs like Gilbert Arenas and Jermanie O'neal make more in their sleep.

MJ made 60 million his last 2 years as a bull.

his first 11 years he made like 30 million, scrubs like Areanas make that in a year without even playing.
    Do you understand basic economics 101? $1 from say 1985 is worth $1.93 today. With the Bulls, as soon as the cap limit was lifted for amount each player in the NBA could make, Jordan's salary sky-rocketed up to 20-25 million a season. $20 million in the early 1990's is worth about 29-30 million dollars today per season. The 60 million that MJ made as a Bulls player in his last 2 seasons averages out to close to about $76 million today(if you use the year 1998 as reference). That would average out today to be about $38 million per season that he made with the Bulls during those 2 seasons.

http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/
    Use CPI when figuring it out. Then you just have to use a proportion to compare MJ's salary numbers with the X being the factor for how much he would make in today's economy.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Do you understand basic economics 101? $1 from say 1985 is worth $1.93 today. With the Bulls, as soon as the cap limit was lifted for amount each player in the NBA could make, Jordan's salary sky-rocketed up to 20-25 million a season. $20 million in the early 1990's is worth about 29-30 million dollars today per season. The 60 million that MJ made as a Bulls player in his last 2 seasons averages out to close to about $76 million today(if you use the year 1998 as reference). That would average out today to be about $38 million per season that he made with the Bulls during those 2 seasons.

http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/
    Use CPI when figuring it out. Then you just have to use a proportion to compare MJ's salary numbers with the X being the factor for how much he would make in today's economy.

Wow, i sense that ive gained a little bit of intelligence from that speech.

I have never taken economics, ill prolly take it in college though.

I rule the local playground

It's all in the marketing of the product. As many have pointed out it is a luxury product. They (Nike) have a target demographic and they are doing very well at supplying that demographic. If they price the shoes too low, they will certainly lose a lot of people in that demographic because people's view of the product will decrease. It is a luxury product. This goes on to prove different concepts like the 80-20 rule, in which 80% of business comes from 20% of your customers.

Anyways, Nike decides how much to sell the products for. MJ has absolutly nothing to do with it. He is just selling his name.

just buy the OG Jordan's if you are going to spend that much money. OG Pippen's, Penny's, but especially OG Jordan's are much better than retros after around 2002. Because original Jordan's were made quality wise to play basketball first, and it seems that most retros today are made for style first.