Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Is the 3pt shot impacting the league too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Ballin
    You just described hockey.

Again, in basketball it's TOO EASY to score.
    That's why it's great.
    There's a huge variety of things happening on the court that you can get excited about.
    Meanwhile football is boring for 85 minutes out of 90

You just described hockey.

Again, in basketball it's TOO EASY to score.
    Hockey players are incredibly skilled skaters and have amazing control over their sticks, but both of those are factors making it more difficult than physically handling the ball. I do think having a dedicated keeper (aside from end-game desperation situations) changes things.

The only other factor is the shot clock. There were some incredibly low scores in thhe 40s and 50s (even keeping in mind a field goal is worth 2 points). If you add a dedicated rim protector, eliminate the restricted area and goal tending, scores would be very low.

These hoes ain't loyal Nuff Said's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    It's the nature of the sport though. Transition opportunities have a very high yield, the floor isn't very crowded, and there isn't much distance to cover.

Maybe if you completely eliminate goaltending, remove the restricted area, give each team an extra player on the floor to use as a rim protector, and start with a jump ball after each tip you'd reduce scoring significantly. You'd lose all the casual fans with those changes though.
    Best way to reduce scoring is remote the shot clock. Harden and lebron will pound the ball for minutes at a time before they make their move.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarriors
    If the Warriors are the only team that does this, how is it going to far?

Before you can say that its gone too far we will need other teams to follow suit. Which I doubt very seriously will happen. First of all to make this even a thing you have to have players that can switch positions and still do well including defend. That's where Iggy and Draymond come in. Especially Draymond. It's not just the 3 point shooting.
    WHAT?? 3FGAs have gone up every single year for like 15 years. FOR THE ENTIRE LEAGUE.

The rate at which they are going up is only increasing. The NBA record for 3s in a season is 287 (Curry ast year, might be a few off). He is now on pace to hit 429. Larry bird was 31 and in his 9th season when he hit his 429th 3pter.

I'm shocked by the overreaction about the Warriors winning 1 championship and how it is impacting the league. So many teams trying to emulate them and don't have the personnel to do it.

It's almost like people think shooting 3's is the only way to win now. Look back through history at how many basketball dynasties have been created around dominant big men. It goes in phases, and the Warriors are fortunate to be in an era with the weakest group of big men maybe in NBA history.

The pendulum will eventually swing back the other way. There is no magic formula and with regards to the OP's stat of 3 point efficiency vs 2 point efficiency, that doesn't factor in the difference in second chance opportunities you will get playing small ball vs playing pound it inside ball, the number of fast break opportunities a missed 3 can create for the other team, or the fact that by playing grind it out ball with a good big man, you'll put the other team into foul trouble. There are too many variables to ever establish that shooting 3's is a better formula for winning than playing an inside game. It all depends on who you have on your roster.

Up and up and up, will not be the case. Everything has its cycle.

Learn how to shoot instead of dunking at an early age. Its Basketball not Jungle Ball. The league should change rules because the silent masses want more slop, and lower scores?

No fan of any of the other sports I mentioned complains about the low scoring. Basketball should be no different.

If the game needs to have such high scores just to be enjoyable for you to watch, then is sounds like a rules problem to me.

It's a different game. Are you serious? Have you played basketball before?

You know, pick up basketball, first to 11? It is REAL EASY to score, that's the nature of the game itself.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    WHAT?? 3FGAs have gone up every single year for like 15 years. FOR THE ENTIRE LEAGUE.

The rate at which they are going up is only increasing. The NBA record for 3s in a season is 287 (Curry ast year, might be a few off). He is now on pace to hit 429. Larry bird was 31 and in his 9th season when he hit his 429th 3pter.
    My bad. I was talking about small ball in general. Not just the 3 point shooting.

Those sports are about a build up to a grand score. It's about doing the little things things that build up anticipation to the big thing.

Basketball is about tempo and going back and forth like tennis is.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by MMKM
    I'm shocked by the overreaction about the Warriors winning 1 championship and how it is impacting the league. So many teams trying to emulate them and don't have the personnel to do it.

It's almost like people think shooting 3's is the only way to win now. Look back through history at how many basketball dynasties have been created around dominant big men. It goes in phases, and the Warriors are fortunate to be in an era with the weakest group of big men maybe in NBA history.

The pendulum will eventually swing back the other way. There is no magic formula and with regards to the OP's stat of 3 point efficiency vs 2 point efficiency, that doesn't factor in the difference in second chance opportunities you will get playing small ball vs playing pound it inside ball, the number of fast break opportunities a missed 3 can create for the other team, or the fact that by playing grind it out ball with a good big man, you'll put the other team into foul trouble. There are too many variables to ever establish that shooting 3's is a better formula for winning than playing an inside game. It all depends on who you have on your roster.

Up and up and up, will not be the case. Everything has its cycle.
    Thats kind of the entire point of the thread. The rules changes and emphasis' have all but ended post play and have led to the dramatic rise in 3s.

Larry Bird led the league in 86-87 with that all time Celtics squad with 91 3s made. The team made 131. The TWolves were last in the NBA last year with >3 times as many. Bird's 91 that led the league would have placed him 86th in the league last year. And its getting exponentially worse.

last year there were 15840 more 3s taken than 10 years ago. This is NOT just Curry. This is the whole league.

EDIT: YES. That figure is CORRECT. Almost 16000 more 3s taken.

Players that make 3s off the dribble like they're layups aren't likely to proliferate.

They may try, but only one has been able to pull it off so far.

Without the Curry cheat code, the 3 is just one weapon among many in a mostly well balanced game.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Players that make 3s off the dribble like they're layups aren't likely to proliferate.

They may try, but only one has been able to pull it off so far.

Without the Curry cheat code, the 3 is just one weapon among many in a mostly well balanced game.
    It is rare but I don't think many have tried. Look at the all time made 3pt FG list. It's surprisingly lopsided. Modern guys will destroy that list.

I think offenses have become too fomulaic. Which is funny for me to say since the '09 Magic were basically the original 3 and D team.

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    Thats kind of the entire point of the thread. The rules changes and emphasis' have all but ended post play and have led to the dramatic rise in 3s.

Larry Bird led the league in 86-87 with that all time Celtics squad with 91 3s made. The team made 131. The TWolves were last in the NBA last year with >3 times as many. Bird's 91 that led the league would have placed him 86th in the league last year. And its getting exponentially worse.

last year there were 15840 more 3s taken than 10 years ago. This is NOT just Curry. This is the whole league.

EDIT: YES. That figure is CORRECT. Almost 16000 more 3s taken.
    I see your point that the league as a whole will continue to shoot far more threes than it used to. However I don't think there will ever be a consistent correlation that the team that shoots the most 3s wins the most games. It is a foolish strategy. Last I checked this year the lakers were leading the league in 3pt attempts. I just think the disappearance of the big man has a lot less to do with rule changes than it has to do with talent. In terms of dynasties Hakeem passed the torch to Shaq who passed it (or shared it) with Duncan, who passed it to.....who? Dwight? Lmao. So there's currently a void. At some point the void will be filled and that team will have a better chance to win rings than any team that jacks threes. I agree, the league will always shoot more threes than it did in the 80s. I'm just saying there will be no correlation between 3 point attempts and winning.

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    It's a different game. Are you serious? Have you played basketball before?

You know, pick up basketball, first to 11? It is REAL EASY to score, that's the nature of the game itself.
    Yes I know. Because it's easy to score you don't have to wait as long to get into the next game since the score is up to 11 and the games go quick. If the rules were different and they were applied to pick up ball, the final score that you play up to would be changed such that those sitting on the sideline wouldn't have to wait forever to get into the next game! If it takes 15 minutes to score 11 points under current rules and 30 minutes to score 11 points under new rules, pick up games would probably only go up to 4 or 5 points, assuming these hypothetical new rules were applied.