Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast
       

Default Re: (Unconfirmed) Brook Lopez done for year with stress fracture on foot

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    I don't know what universe Net fans live in. I mean, we have some real knowledgable fans here but the fans in Brooklyn (NY) and the main blogs (netsdaily), things like that are delusional. They'll be better without Brook, someone will trade quality for Brook (who has several years at max money and is out for a year), someone will send them a star for Pierce and Taylor (who is a killer prospect) etc. Remember the Shumpert trade rumors? There was almost glee saying that it wasn't enough to get Faried. But the Nets? They might get Boozer for Lopez from cheap ass Chicago. It's amazing. It's the same city but the Net coverage and fanbase reminds me of a real small town feel, as if saying something bad is against the rules.
    jesus.

so was it brakes or steering column?

Default Re: (Unconfirmed) Brook Lopez done for year with stress fracture on foot

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    jesus.

so was it brakes or steering column?
    Read the thread. The Nets best young player might not have a career. And the thread alternately says he's not that good and they might be better, or another team will trade for him (while hurt). None of it is about his injury at all.

It's weird. I don't get it at all.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    The Nets are ****ed, period. I'd have to look it up but they either don't have a pick or their pick's getting swapped to someone through like 2018. They have zero assets and if they blow it up they don't keep their pick.

It's a LONG haul for the Nets unless they just kill it with a bunch of like 18th picks. Which, hey, Indy did it, it's no impossible.
    We're in a terrible position. I think the best bet is try to move Pierce to a team that's close to being a contender and need some help getting over the hump. A team like the Clippers come to mind. If we're real lucky, maybe they'll want both Garnett and Pierce. But I doubt it. A guy like Pierce who can still score, has played for Doc Rivers can help us get something in return for an aging off guard. He's on his last contract year anyway.

Garnett I think we're stuck with unless a team can take on $12 million for his 15-20 minutes in the playoffs. Maybe they could convince him to retire and forgo his last year of the salary for a cushy front office job. Minnesota?

Joe Johnson.. yeah I can't see us moving him. The only thing I can think of is that he's our most consistent player. As much as we all bash him for the big contract, he puts in work every night. Never complains. No one can say he's not clutch. A team like Denver, who has had trouble closing out games in the playoffs, could really use him. I mean, that team needed a 40 year old Andre Miller to make a game winning bucket last year. Will they be willing to match a $20 million contact for that? I don't think so..unless they're desperate to not be a first round dud this year.

Yeah we won't get anything back that's great. No picks, no great young talent. Best we could make out of all this is a guy as talented as JaVale McGee or DeAndre Jordan.

Hell, at this point perhaps if the only way we could move Garnett is to package Deron, I'd explore it.

But honestly, this team didn't have focus all year. As much as Brook was our rock this year.. we could rally behind the fact that now people who needed touches have an opportunity to get them. A guy like Pierce who just never seem to fit in the first group lineup and thrived moreso off the bench can now get more touches on the block or at the high post.

Really, I'd say they have to rally. Garnett can't do this cruise control that he's doing. Collecting big money to set picks and take elbow jumpers. He's gonna have to go down on the block. I don't care how old he is. Tim Duncan is doing it.

At best we limp into the playoffs to fizz out early, but it's not terrible. The team kept saying they needed Brook to come back. Well he's not coming back. Maybe never again. Time to make due with what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    We're in a terrible position. I think the best bet is try to move Pierce to a team that's close to being a contender and need some help getting over the hump. A team like the Clippers come to mind. If we're real lucky, maybe they'll want both Garnett and Pierce. But I doubt it. A guy like Pierce who can still score, has played for Doc Rivers can help us get something in return for an aging off guard. He's on his last contract year anyway.

Garnett I think we're stuck with unless a team can take on $12 million for his 15-20 minutes in the playoffs. Maybe they could convince him to retire and forgo his last year of the salary for a cushy front office job. Minnesota?

Joe Johnson.. yeah I can't see us moving him. The only thing I can think of is that he's our most consistent player. As much as we all bash him for the big contract, he puts in work every night. Never complains. No one can say he's not clutch. A team like Denver, who has had trouble closing out games in the playoffs, could really use him. I mean, that team needed a 40 year old Andre Miller to make a game winning bucket last year. Will they be willing to match a $20 million contact for that? I don't think so..unless they're desperate to not be a first round dud this year.

Yeah we won't get anything back that's great. No picks, no great young talent. Best we could make out of all this is a guy as talented as JaVale McGee or DeAndre Jordan.

Hell, at this point perhaps if the only way we could move Garnett is to package Deron, I'd explore it.

But honestly, this team didn't have focus all year. As much as Brook was our rock this year.. we could rally behind the fact that now people who needed touches have an opportunity to get them. A guy like Pierce who just never seem to fit in the first group lineup and thrived moreso off the bench can now get more touches on the block or at the high post.

Really, I'd say they have to rally. Garnett can't do this cruise control that he's doing. Collecting big money to set picks and take elbow jumpers. He's gonna have to go down on the block. I don't care how old he is. Tim Duncan is doing it.

At best we limp into the playoffs to fizz out early, but it's not terrible. The team kept saying they needed Brook to come back. Well he's not coming back. Maybe never again. Time to make due with what you have.
    I think you can move Pierce easily if he plays ball but you need to be careful not to take back a three year headache. I remember early in the year the Rudy Gay rumors, things like that. Essentially moving the cap problems to a third year (instead of the current two). Garnett is easy, he'll retire at year end. He still gets paid, and he can go home. It doesn't give you cap space but you're over anyway, that's just a cash issue.

I don't think the Clippers want Garnett. Stein said he thinks the owner was the one who leaked the trades to the league so Boston couldn't push for him to take the players back along with Doc.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three

Good post

I was particularly impressed with the bolded. Shows you really know the game and what to look for.

That's the impression I get, Garnett seems like he's stuck in cruise mode waiting to emerge in the playoffs. They need him to step up and produce right now or there will be no playoffs.

   

@wang4three,
    interesting post. i

Local High School Star The JKidd Kid's Avatar

Moving Williams would be absolutely pointless, I would only move Peirce for a guy like Derozan, but only if we moved Lopez also for a shorter contract and a young player or some picks because getting rid of 15M off the cap is too valuable. Joe is unmovable and there's no point in moving KG with his no trade clause and his likeliness to retire soon. The only player that I would really move is Lopez, but only for players that can contribute now and in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by The JKidd Kid
    Moving Williams would be absolutely pointless, I would only move Peirce for a guy like Derozan, but only if we moved Lopez also for a shorter contract and a young player or some picks because getting rid of 15M off the cap is too valuable. Joe is unmovable and there's no point in moving KG with his no trade clause and his likeliness to retire soon. The only player that I would really move is Lopez, but only for players that can contribute now and in the future.
    Again, no one is trading for Lopez. His career might be in jeopardy. Hey, i have this great player, he makes max money for a few more years, and oh btw he is going to miss a year and has a very good chance of having the same injury occur again when he comes back. Do you want him?

Again, no one is trading for Lopez. His career might be in jeopardy. Hey, i have this great player, he makes max money for a few more years, and oh btw he is going to miss a year and has a very good chance of having the same injury occur again when he comes back. Do you want him?
    Yes people will want him. Talented 7 footers with a post game and that contest at the rim are very valuable in this league. Heck the Cavs just offered Bynum a contract and he was talking about retirement this summer.

Yes people will want him. Talented 7 footers with a post game and that contest at the rim are very valuable in this league. Heck the Cavs just offered Bynum a contract and he was talking about retirement this summer.
    They didn't trade any assets for him. Lopez right now is not a talented 7 footer, he's a broken 7 footer who can't move. For him to be a talented 7 footer he needs to come back.

There is literally no chance of the Nets getting value for Lopez in a trade, regardless of how many times you say it.

They didn't trade any assets for him. Lopez right now is not a talented 7 footer, he's a broken 7 footer who can't move. For him to be a talented 7 footer he needs to come back.

There is literally no chance of the Nets getting value for Lopez in a trade, regardless of how many times you say it.
    There is a definite chance of the nets getting value in a trade for Lopez, regardless of how many times you say it.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

That's not how this league works. An all-stars value doesn't turn to shit after being injured. Otherwise Andrew Bynum, Brandon Roy, Shaq, Dwight Howard and many, many other players wouldn't have found large contracts after being injured. You know how many bottom feeding teams in the league would take a broken Brook Lopez just in hopes of him remaining healthy. Billy King is probably getting dozens of calls right now fielding offers for Brook Lopez. He is 25 years old and maybe he gets injured every season for the rest of his career but teams take very big risks on injured players every year. For reasons we all know, why do you think Brook is exempt from that as well? Wait, that was a rhetorical question.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Except we didn't trade for him, and he makes a third of the money brook makes

There is a definite chance of the nets getting value in a trade for Lopez, regardless of how many times you say it.
    Teams don't acquire players out on long term injuries unless it's for salary dump purposes. Give me an example of an all star out a year being acquired by another team for value. I can think of Mobley, who the Knicks gave up long term salary for shorter. But in your case, everything, the salary, the injury, the potential for further injury is on the Nets side.

You'd need in order to trade Lopez to either
    1) Take on longer salary.
    2) Throw in assets to the acquiring team.

You seem to think the opposite will happen. Show me an example.

Teams don't acquire players out on long term injuries unless it's for salary dump purposes. Give me an example of an all star out a year being acquired by another team for value. I can think of Mobley, who the Knicks gave up long term salary for shorter. But in your case, everything, the salary, the injury, the potential for further injury is on the Nets side.

You'd need in order to trade Lopez to either
    1) Take on longer salary.
    2) Throw in assets to the acquiring team.

You seem to think the opposite will happen. Show me an example.
    I can't recall a time that it happened, but that's not because it never happened. Most teams wouldn't trade one of the best players in the league that they drafted if he was injured. However, Lopez is a special case because the Nets actually have reasons to trade him. I'm sure that someone who is more educated in NBA history than me could find a scenario similar to this one.

There are many teams in this league that would love to have an injured all star at the center position who's value is at an all time low. There is no way that the Nets would take back any negative value in a scenario like this unless it was packaged with a major asset/ young player. Lopez played almost every game last season and for the 1st 3 seasons of his career. His 4th season he had mono and then in his 5th season he missed it for his broken foot. Brooks injury is nothing like Yaos injuries or Bynums injuries. They are much less severe and less likely to reoccur. Hell, the only reason Brook isn't out for only a couple of months is because the Nets want to be cautious and even with them being cautious depending on the results of his examination, he could still be back this year.

Also, the trades that I was thinking about aren't any blockbusters. It was Lopez and fillers for Noah while taking back Boozers contract and Lopez for Fareid and McGees contract and a future first if necessary.
    Last edited by The JKidd Kid; 12-23-2013 at 04:50 PM.