Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Default Is there a reason that Paul George's 360 in between the legs dunk is not talked about

The dunk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvfzM486P3M

Why is this dunk not getting more attention?

Everyone was waiting for this dunk. It was the next logical step in the progression. In the 80's, regular 360's were cool. In the late 90's and after Vince Carter, going in between the legs was cool. This was the next step...combining both. Many ppl in the past tried this and couldn't do it. Paul George finally did it.

Possible reasons that I can think of for why this dunk gets no love:

1. The dunk contest format was so weird, that it just killed the whole contest

2. The New Orleans crowd was terrible

3. He missed it on his first few attempts. He only made it on his 3rd attempt i believe.

4. Paul George himself looked half asleep after he landed this dunk. He shoulda been more of a showman and started show boating as he landed and shown some energy.

5. It's not a 360. It was actually about a 180, or a 220 if you want to call it that. But hey, many 360 dunks in the dunk contest aren't real 360's, so this point is not very valid to me.
    Last edited by tmacattack33; 02-25-2014 at 05:09 PM.

Banned

Default Re: Is there a reason that Paul George's 360 in between the legs dunk is not talked about

People were probably on a downbuzz from the format, it was actually a pretty nice dunk, he just didn't look very interested after landing.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Default Re: Is there a reason that Paul George's 360 in between the legs dunk is not talked about

Because he plays for the Pacers

It was nice.......but 4 tries to do it.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Didn't make it pop

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Had he made it on his first attempt, he probably would have won dunker of the night.

You answered your own question with five different answers.

Quote Originally Posted by HylianNightmare
    Didn't make it pop
    This too. 4 attempts + it could have went down cleaner/with more authority. Makes for an underwhelming response to a very difficult dunk.

NBA Superstar

I think you're on the right track, tmac. If I had to list reasons as to why it's not talked about, it'd go:

1) Dunk Contest Format: The freestyle round left absolutely no opportunity for fans, commentators, or players to process and appreciate any dunks being completed, therefore making virtually everything difficult to remember. I honestly believe many, if not most observers were still reeling as the final round took place. In my case, I know all I could think was how awful the freestyle idea was and how in the battle round, we might only be seeing one dunk per contestant.

2) No Score: I think we've trained ourselves to justify our feelings for contest dunks by seeing straight 10's being held up across the board. Nothing kills the aftermath of a great contest dunk than working through a couple of American Idol monologues while a dunker earns a total score of "East".

3) Multiple Attempts: Another dunk immersion killer is continuous misses. That was one of the biggest issues with the 2013 contest. Players were making great dunks (I feel like there was a behind-the-back 360) but they were taking so many attempts that fans felt more relief than excitement when the dunk was finally completed. The surprise factor was gone for George.

4) Poor finish: George completed a very difficult dunk, but as Hylian said, he didn't make it pop. The style was so-so and the ball itself didn't go down very cleanly (or with force). In fact, UDM's Doug Anderson completed the same flush with much more force, style, and vigor a year ago on national television during the college slam dunk contest.

Paul George, Indiana Pacers

Doug Anderson, Detroit Mercy (via Mott Community, via Kalamazoo Central)

Number of times killed the impact imo

On a different note how is that a 360?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by MUGEN
    Number of times killed the impact imo

On a different note how is that a 360?
    360 has been the terms used for years to describe a dunk where a player revolves, turns away from the basket, then comes around and finishes while facing the basket once again. I have never really been a fan of taking the term incredibly literal. It just describes a turning dunk and sounds better to me than "spinny".

And besides, to impart a spinning movement on one's airborne body, the feet most often have to shift just as George's do prior to takeoff to create a graceful and circular motion. That's where the spinning torque is created. And in many cases, when players shift their feet in that manner prior to takeoff, they often land with their feet pointed in a similar direction when they come down, thus coming a lot closer to completing a 360 than many people like to insist. Frequently, it seems many people just seem to see a player's feet shift, watch him finish at the rim, then conclude their spin is completed.

Local High School Star

The fact that this dunk is so overdone by street dunkers could be a possibility. These street dunkers are also 5'9 to 6'4 so yeah much more difficult to pull off then Paul George.

Though I don't deny that 360 Eastbay is so incredibly difficult it should be worth a 50 everytime regardless of who pulled it. Maybe he should try a 720 next time...

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

he jumped with his back to the basket, it's a 180

NBA sixth man of the year

Because he's one of the more disliked players on ISH now.../thread

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dro
    Because he's one of the more disliked players on ISH now.../thread
    no