Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default Basketball Philosophy with Bill Russell

The thing is, is that in approaching athletes especially, that's something I know about. You could never dissect a player into parts. Each player is a package. You can't say, "If he did this..." or "If he thought..." or "If he didn't think..." or "If he tried this..." Invalid and irrelevant! What you got is what you got. There are certain things that you have to know to be an outstanding athlete in any sport. There's offense and defense and there are things that you can do as an individual to impact the game without having your hand or your foot on the ball.

I used to break it down. There are 48 minutes in a game. It takes a second -- a second-and-a-half, maybe two seconds -- for a three point shot. And if you add up all the shots taken in a game -- free throws don't count because the clock stops -- but if you take all the seconds added up shooting and rebounding it comes to about three minutes. Now out of a 48-minute game three minutes are concerned with shooting and rebounding. What is going on the other 45 minutes?

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

Default Re: Basketball Philosophy with Bill Russell

defense. i win! win!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    The thing is, is that in approaching athletes especially, that's something I know about. You could never dissect a player into parts. Each player is a package. You can't say, "If he did this..." or "If he thought..." or "If he didn't think..." or "If he tried this..." Invalid and irrelevant! What you got is what you got. There are certain things that you have to know to be an outstanding athlete in any sport. There's offense and defense and there are things that you can do as an individual to impact the game without having your hand or your foot on the ball.

I used to break it down. There are 48 minutes in a game. It takes a second -- a second-and-a-half, maybe two seconds -- for a three point shot. And if you add up all the shots taken in a game -- free throws don't count because the clock stops -- but if you take all the seconds added up shooting and rebounding it comes to about three minutes. Now out of a 48-minute game three minutes are concerned with shooting and rebounding. What is going on the other 45 minutes?
    Just wow.Never thought of that, deep and clever.

chips93
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

nice post repped

Basketball I.Q.

What is going on the other 45 minutes?
    Cant say Russell doesnt have a sense of humour

Derka
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Man, Russell is so cerebral about the game. Would have been something to see him play.

it's the second thread that i read about Russell mentallity, the other one was about the shoot blocking and trash talk. Anybody remember that?

I think it was you that posted , G.O.A.T.

1) Thanked.
    2) You never can get enough Bill Russell quotes. One of the greatest in the "basketball smarts" department.
    3) (Re:Bolded quote) I really wish ALL superstars understood this. The days of great players setting screens, throwing great outlet passes, defensively stopping 2 on 1's and 3 on 1's are pretty much gone. Very rarely will you see a superstar player work off the ball as well as they used to or even throw a great outlet pass to start a fast break off of a miss (Kevin Love is EASILY the best player in the game when it comes to the "outlet off of a defensive rebound pass", but he is trapped on that terrible Minnesota team).

Fantastic quoted segment, GOAT.

Great thread.

Good college starter

In this era of ESPN highlights and all ITs good for these younger fans to be informed about what basketball and all other sports are about. Defense. There is a reason why only 1 leading scorer ever won a Title. KD take note home boy DC loves you but its not the points its the D

Some more from #6

I played in this dumb number of seventh games. You know -- the last game. Either you win, or if you lose you go home. And I have a perfect record. Won all of them, including college and the Olympics. And so I was talking with the kids at the NBA, and first they asked me, "Were you scared?" I said no. "You weren't scared?" No. So he comes in with five different ways of asking me was I scared. "Didn't this scare you?" No, I was not scared. "Okay, were you nervous?" No. "You weren't scared? You weren't nervous?" No. In fact, Sam Jones and I kid about it all the time. Every seventh game that Sam was there, I came to the seventh game, I had a black suit on. And he says, "Why do you always wear a black suit to these games?" I said, "Because I'm the undertaker. I've come to bury these people!" Sam and I used to kid about that all the time. He says, "You always wear a black suit." "Yep, I'm the undertaker. I come to bury these guys." So finally -- a guy kept asking was I nervous or was I scared. So finally I said, "Listen, there was no reason for me to be scared or nervous. I did not have to play against Bill Russell and the Celtics. What was there to be nervous or scared about?" You probably think I'm really modest, right?

Banned

Did this guy even play basketball? WTH is he talking about?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by LastChanceToWin
    You are obviously joking, right?

Quote Originally Posted by LastChanceToWin