Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Let's talk Elton Brand

Quote Originally Posted by K.Koscik
    I dont know much about him, but the guy won co-ROY in 2000 (along with Steve Franchise) with averages of 20/10/2 with 1.6bpg and was a 2x all-star before injuries decimated him.

His best statistical season was in 05-06 where in 79 games he averaged 24.7/10/2.5 with 2.5 blocks and 1 steal per game. Those stats are no joke on both offense and defense. Then from the beginning of the 07-08 to the end of 08-09 he plays in 37 games and as a player is never the same. Before his injuries he was a legitimate 25/10 guy on a 47-35 Clippers squad (as good as they got before CP3).

Do stats tell the whole story with this guy? He's played for CHI, LAC, PHI, DAL, and now ATL. Just curious as to who Elton Brand was in his prime and who he could have been from those who got a chance to watch him a few times.

EDIT: Just so it's clear I'm trying to get a grasp of him in his prime, not in 2014
    Brand has always been able to produce numbers and could do a bit of everything on the court. Thing is, he couldn't consistently carry a team, or take over games. He put up Garnett/Duncan type numbers, but did not have the same impact on games and dissapeared at times. I've watched games in which I hardly noticed him being on the court and he would end up with 20/10 and 2 blocks.

That 05-06 team was really cool and fun to watch, but got more hype than it deserved in my opinion. A big part of this was the demise of the Lakers and LAC being the new king of LA, which was a pretty big storyline back then.

Brand was considered the man on that team and he was their best player, but I think it was just a great starting 5. Cassell was solid, as were Mobley, Kaman, Maggette and VladRad.

Brand in my opinion was a great player, all star talent, but not a franchiseplayer as his numbers would suggest. Sorta like Z-Bo in that regard (but better)..

He was like a Jefferson is now.. Very consistent every game.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

It just hit me he's similar to Jermain O'neal.

Both put up monster all around numbers.
    Both were dominant in a short period of time before injuries got to them.
    Both operate in the post but has a good midrange shot.
    Both great 2 way player when in their healthy prime.
    Both forgotten players of that generation.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
    Actually, cassell was also on the wolves team that made the WCF. It's no coincidence KG and Brand had their career years with cassell.

Or that he won two titles with the Rockets

Very good NBA starter

Brand was great. Loved his turnaround jumpers in the post. Didn't always strike me as a big winner or team savior but he's probably underrated now.

I made a thread about his 06 season last year, comparing his offense to prime Amare and Dwight in '11.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310436

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Brand was great. Loved his turnaround jumpers in the post. Didn't always strike me as a big winner or team savior but he's probably underrated now.

I made a thread about his 06 season last year, comparing his offense to prime Amare and Dwight in '11.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310436
    Brand was very good, not great but very underrated. People barely noticed him because he played for the mediocre Clips in his prime. He always have that quick post moves finishing with turnaround or baby hooks. And he got more polished when he was getting comfortable with those midrange because he can take his man off the dribble too. Despite his consistent numbers though, he did not have the same impact as KG or Duncan. He's more like Jefferson but less crafty and better defensive player.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

His series against the Suns reminded me of the stretch ZBo had in the playoffs a couple years back. TOTALLY unstoppable. Just dump the ball in the post and he will make something happen.

Sadly his prime is overshadowed by the likes of KG, Duncan, Dirk, Amare. He'll be associated with prime McDyess, JO, Al Jefferson, ZBo. Had a chance to make himself a bigger name in NBA history, but injuries did shorten his prime.

brand used to be really good but as other posters have said he was not capable of carrying a team. he used to be a beast on the offensive glass, especially for being undersized, and i'm pretty sure he led the league in offensive rebounds per game once or twice when he was with the clippers. he would get a good amount of his points off put backs or just positioning himself well. he was also a pretty good shotblocker. his post moves used to be somewhat limited, he only played on the right side of the block because michael olowokandi could only play on the left, but he had a great mid range jumper. He wasn't really a go to guy when you needed a basket, for some reason the clippers used to love going to olowokandi who sucked dick.

elton brand was soft as hell

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selrahc
    brand used to be really good but as other posters have said he was not capable of carrying a team. he used to be a beast on the offensive glass, especially for being undersized, and i'm pretty sure he led the league in offensive rebounds per game once or twice when he was with the clippers. he would get a good amount of his points off put backs or just positioning himself well. he was also a pretty good shotblocker. his post moves used to be somewhat limited, he only played on the right side of the block because michael olowokandi could only play on the left, but he had a great mid range jumper. He wasn't really a go to guy when you needed a basket, for some reason the clippers used to love going to olowokandi who sucked dick.
    I think thats the general opinion of Brand, but I feel he was never given enough talent around him. It goes back to the losing ways of the Clippers in the 2000s. His most successful season he had

Cassell, Kaman, Mobley, QUINTON ROSS and a post injury Maggette

Cassell, the only decent player was 36, that was his last relevant season.

Still carried them to the 2nd round of the playoffs and 7 games against the Suns (pushed them to the limits too, if not for Raja Bell's clutch play, the Clips would be in the WCF).

That's actually KG-esque if you think about it. Both deprived of supporting talent. KG had better prime longevity and more playoff success, but then again he at least had Spreewell and a younger Cassell to work with. I'm not saying Brand is as good as KG, but if he's even comparable, he's pretty damn good.

The thing that separated Brand from the other great big men of the 2000's was his height. Even while a great post/man defender/shotblocker, at 6'8, he just couldn't anchor a defense. Of course, he had Prime Kaman on the other side. Those two actually reminds me of Love/Pekovic where they could dominate inside but couldn't defend for shit.

Sam Cassell sighting in the thread. Truly an underrated PG if there ever was. Funny thing is he cost Prime KG and Brand finals appearances, with his injured hamsting and his happy, smiling, Yi-Jianlian-like 8 second violation.

He was always underrated due to being on poor teams and playing during a time where elite big men were around. He was that 20/10 guy that no one ever talked about. Its tough when you played during a time where Duncan, KG, Shaq, Amare, Dirk were all considered better. He was as steady as they come. A true 2 way player. Nice midrange, great strength and defensive ability.

That jumper was unfair. Weird release but very difficult to guard.

Dunking on everybody in the park The Iron Sheik's Avatar

really good player. ridiculous wingspan and good defender. i don't think he was quite as dominant as his numbers would suggest though. kinda like zo.