Default If 100% successful teleportation existed and was around for 50 yrs would you do it?

The reason I ask is... would there really be any way to tell that what comes out on the other side of the teleport is actually you?

What I mean by this is... ok, let's say human cloning was perfected to the point that someone could create another you with 100% of the same memories up until this very moment... that clone... still wouldn't be you. It would think it was you, but it wouldn't be you. Your family couldn't tell the difference and neither could anyone else. It would be a perfect copy. Such is the essence of the soul. That new clone would NOT share your consciousness.

So that being said, I would imagine that teleportation is something along these same lines... what comes out on the other side would be a perfect copy of you, but it wouldn't be you. It would think it was you, and so would everyone else, but there would be no way to ever know for sure.

With that in mind, would you take the teleport with the distinct possibility that YOUR consciousness would be instantly snuffed out?

I brought this up to someone and they said it literally was a plot point of Star Trek and how Scotty or whoever would never take the teleport for this very reason.

Anyways, would you do it? Or play it safe?

This also begs the question, what is consciousness, and do we even really exist?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: If 100% successful teleportation existed and was around for 50 yrs would you do it?

If you regain your memory then that is pretty much your

Default Re: If 100% successful teleportation existed and was around for 50 yrs would you do it?

so die and get replaced by a clone?

i'll pass. unless i was in a miserable marriage, i'd skip on through.

If I can go back in time I think that'll be dope.

Imagine being able to go back in time whenever you wanted. The cons? Having to live the entire life back to the point before you went back. If you went back to age 10, you can't go forward.

I think that's dope.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quantum Teleportation already exists. Only a matter of time before human teleportation is achievable.

assuming OP is speaking of a teleportation device that deconstructs you on a quantum level and reconstructs you on the other end with everything in tact except your conscious, does this mean the original you is removed through existence?

if so, would the courts say it's legal or nah? i figure people would try to abuse it (suicide, murder, etc).

Your premise makes no sense to me because teleportation and cloning are not the same.

Teleportation simply transfers an object to a different location. It does not create a new/duplicate object.

The same particles of matter comprise the object on both ends of the process. At least in theory. Obviously it

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    If I can go back in time I think that'll be dope.

Imagine being able to go back in time whenever you wanted. The cons? Having to live the entire life back to the point before you went back. If you went back to age 10, you can't go forward.

I think that's dope.

Not really IMO. If you go back without your present knowledge, youll just repeat all the same decisions.

If you go back with present knowledge, predicting 9/11 and the iphone and lotto numbers every night etc, you will freak the world out to an unimaginable degree. Youd be treated like an alien and very possibly captured by the govt and put in a cage for testing.

Imagine if there was someone out there predicting the future accurately each day. The global astonishment and and attention would be overwhelming. Shit would be nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE
    Not really IMO. If you go back without your present knowledge, youll just repeat all the same decisions.

If you go back with present knowledge, predicting 9/11 and the iphone and lotto numbers every night etc, you will freak the world out to an unimaginable degree. Youd be treated like an alien and very possibly captured by the govt and put in a cage for testing.

Imagine if there was someone out there predicting the future accurately each day. The global astonishment and and attention would be overwhelming. Shit would be nuts.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2879552...nm_flmg_act_36

good short series

This is an old teleportation question isn't it?

The question assumes that teleportation works by creating a new copy of yourself on the other side. Just like a phone recreate your voice on the other side. So yes, you can tell for sure that what comes out of the other side isn't really you. With a little tweak to the teleportation machine, you don't even need to die to do this. It'll just become a cloning machine.

Local High School Star Bimbo Coles's Avatar

If the evolving beings from the year 5827 work out teleportation, we're their past. Time is a continuum; not linear. If you accept the notion that in the distant future it will be possible, it's happening right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bimbo Coles
    If the evolving beings from the year 5827 work out teleportation, we're their past. Time is a continuum; not linear. If you accept the notion that in the distant future it will be possible, it's happening right now.

But teleportation is not time travel. It’s space travel.

You move from one location to another. Yes it happens very fast, but that doesnt make it time travel any more than flying a plane is time travel compared to walking. (Which in a sense it is, any increase in movement speed results in saved time. We are always experiencing time, the issue is how quickly).

I think youre right tho that people tend to picture time spacially, as a linear thing that can be traversed. Time is not a thing or a place, it is simply a comparison of speed, or chronological order.

There is no such thing as ‘time travel backward’ because there is no such place as the past. Time is not a place. It is a comparison. This happened first, that happened next. Mowing with a tractor finishes first, pushing by hand finishes second. Cutting the grass with scissors finishes last. That’s ‘time.’ We remember previous events in our minds and think of them as places that ‘exist’ somewhere. Actually we’re just remembering a chronological order of occurences, with the present moment as a basis for comparison, and how distantly things occured from there.. They are not moments or places that somehow still ‘exist’ somehwere.

It’s pretty logical once ppl realize what time actually is. It isnt a place. It’s isnt an object. It’s a measurement. ‘Time travel’ is like saying “hey, do you think we’ll ever be able to travel the metric system?’

What??

That’s not a thing yo.

If teleportation is you jumping through a worm hole, that's fine. I'd do it.

But if you're being "beamed up" like in Star Trek, HELL no. Your entire being is being destroyed and reassembled somewhere else. That's not you. You're gone. It's just a clone.

Also, time doesn't exist.

Kbye.

Local High School Star Bimbo Coles's Avatar

[QUOTE=FultzNationRISE]What?

Teleportation is not time travel. It