National High School Star ILballa's Avatar

Default out of bounds question

If the ball hits the top of the backboard, is it out?
    If the ball goes over the backboard, is it out?
    If a player shoots the ball from behind the backboard, does it count?

NBA Superstar

Default Re: out of bounds question

I have read that the only part of a backboard that's out of bounds is the back of the backboard. Therefore, the top is in play.

If the ball hits the rim, bounces high off the iron and floats over the backboard, that is out of bounds. If it hits the top of the backboard and then bounces behind the board, it is out.

Third, I've heard a rumor (and according to shots this season by LeBron and Kobe) that shooting the ball from behind the backboard is now fair game and legal. Historically it has not been counted (in Larry Bird's case) but as I said, I've heard that rule has changed this year.

National High School Star ILballa's Avatar

I hate playing with people who think that it's out of bounds when the ball hits the top of the backboard.

1.out of bounds
    2.out of bounds
    3.shooting behind the backboard is legal

in bounds
    out if bounds
    legal

if it hits the shot clock it is out

Local High School Star Johnni Gade's Avatar

I actually didn't know it didn't count when Larry did it? :S

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnni Gade
    I thought it counted. Why would that shot be so famous if it didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Johnni Gade
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H3Jow4IAE4

This counted. Larry's didn't count I think.

Blu Ray

Top of the backboard is not out of bounds. If it goes behind the backboard, It's out of bounds.

And you're all forgetting Rondo's behind the backboard shot

Quote Originally Posted by Brujesino
    1.out of bounds
    2.out of bounds
    3.shooting behind the backboard is legal
    Here's the definitive answer:

Section I—Basket/Backboard
    a. A team’s basket consists of the basket ring and net through which its players try to
    shoot the ball. The visiting team has the choice of baskets for the first half. The basket
    selected by the visiting team when it first enters onto the court shall be its basket for the first
    half.
    b. The teams change baskets for the second half. All overtime periods are considered
    extensions of the second half.
    c. Five sides of the backboard (front, two sides, bottom and top) are considered in play
    when contacted by the basketball. The back of the backboard and the area directly behind it
    are out-of-bounds.
    Section II—Ball
    a. The ball is out-of-bounds when it touches a player who is out-of-bounds or any other
    person, the floor, or any object on, above or outside of a boundary or the supports or back of
    the backboard.
    b. Any ball that rebounds or passes directly behind the backboard, in either direction,
    from any point is considered out-of-bounds.

c. The ball is caused to go out-of-bounds by the last player to touch it before it goes out,
    provided it is out-of-bounds because of touching something other than a player. If the ball is
    out-of-bounds because of touching a player who is on or outside a boundary, such player
    caused it to go out.
    d. If the ball goes out-of-bounds and was last touched simultaneously by two opponents,
    both of whom are inbounds or out-of-bounds, or if the official is in doubt as to who last
    touched the ball, or if the officials disagree, play shall be resumed by a jump ball between
    the two involved players in the nearest restraining circle.
    EXCEPTION: Rule 6—Section V—a(10).
    e. If the ball is interfered with by an opponent seated on the bench or standing on the
    sideline (Rule 12A—Section II—a[7]), it shall be awarded to the offended team out-ofbounds
    nearest the spot of the violation.
    http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.ele...Rook_09-10.pdf

That's from this year's NBA rule book.

The top of the back board is in-bounds (hitting the shot clock is out of bounds). The area behind the back board is out of bounds, therefore the behind the back-board shot is technically NOT a legal shot. Refs may not have known that though.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RaininThrees
    Refs may not have known that though.
    Technically the ball never passed through 'the area directly behind the backboard' though on many of those shots. It went over the area directly behind the backboard.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ILballa
    I hate playing with people who think that it's out of bounds when the ball hits the top of the backboard.
    Oh man, tell me about it. When I explain, "Naw the only part of the backboard that's out of bounds is the back" they look at me like I'm speaking a foreign language. Then if they're wise enough to ponder what happens if the ball hits the top then rolls over and falls behind the board, they go all up in arms when I explain that'd be out of bounds, unable to comprehend how that'd possibly ever make sense.

And thanks to Rainin'Threes for the definitive ruling. I didn't want to have to cite my 1996-1997 Sporting News Official NBA Guide but I was about to.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by RaininThrees
    Here's the definitive answer:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.ele...Rook_09-10.pdf

That's from this year's NBA rule book.

The top of the back board is in-bounds (hitting the shot clock is out of bounds). The area behind the back board is out of bounds, therefore the behind the back-board shot is technically NOT a legal shot. Refs may not have known that though.
    good post here's little more that clears it up

Quote Originally Posted by NBA Spokesman
    Should Bryant's shot have been disallowed as well? A recent rule change actually allows shots from angles behind the basket. As explained by a league spokesman, the key is whether the ball travels through an imaginary box that extends backward in the dimensions of the backboard (similar to the invisible "cylinder" that goes up from the rim for goaltending purposes). For example, a shot launched from near the rim on the back side of the glass that went straight over the backboard and dropped through the hoop would not be legal because it would have traveled through the imaginary box. However, a ball can travel over the imaginary box

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...hould-it-count

it's pretty much the same ruling as when a player jumps off the ground and keeps a ball in play that has passed over the endline.. as long as he doesn't touch the ground while over the end line or sideline the ball is still in play
    Last edited by gts; 02-14-2010 at 11:43 PM.