NBA Legend

Thumbs up Bravo Beatriz Vergara and 8 other California college students

Calif. Gov. Brown appeals judge's ruling that struck down teacher tenure

California Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown is appealing a recent state judge’s ruling that ends tenure and other union protections for public school teachers.

The appeal was filed late Friday and argues that Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Rulf Treu’s final ruling lacks detail and fails to provide the legal basis for his decision.

Treu issued the final ruling Thursday, after tentatively ruling in June that tenure protections for California teachers violate the state constitution, depriving some of the state's 6.2 million students of a quality education, specifically minorities and those from low-income families.

The lawsuit, Vergara v. California, was brought by Beatriz Vergara and eight other students who said they were saddled with teachers who let classrooms get out of control, came to school unprepared and in some cases told them they'd never make anything of themselves.

Teachers and their lawyers argue the laws protect teachers from getting fired on a whim. They also argue the system preserved academic freedom and helps attract talented teachers to a profession that doesn't pay well.

Brown’s appeal states that school districts were for "unclear and unexplained" reasons dismissed from the lawsuit, which means the court's decision "applies only to parties that have no role or duties under the challenged lawsuits."

The appeal also criticizes Treu for simply making his tentative decision final, instead of elaborating and expanding on the tentative ruling in June.

California's Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson, who was among those named in a lawsuit, asked state Attorney General Kamala Harris to file the appeal because he lacked the legal authority.

The state's two biggest teacher unions are also expected to file an appeal, according to The Los Angeles Times.

The trial represented the latest battle in a nationwide movement to toughen the standards for granting teachers permanent employment protection and seniority-based preferences during layoffs.

Students in New York recently filed a high-profile suit similar to the one in California

And dozens of states, including Louisiana and New Jersey, have moved in recent years to get rid of such protections or raise the standards for obtaining them.

Judge Treu has declined to tell the state Legislature exactly how to change the system, but he has expressed confidence it will do so in a way that passes constitutional muster.

Torlakson also says the ruling isn't supported by facts or law and is too vague to guide state lawmakers in making alterations.

The state governor is basically fighting court battles on behalf of the union

How utterly shameless. This dude is a known special interest thug and idiot loser libs in Cali voted for him simply because he put a (D) by his name.

This is a testament to what a mindless lot of idiot sheep so many people are. And how they get suckered by the government. And why the TEACHERS UNION IS BEHIND CALIFORNIAS PUSH FOR MORE ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.

Californians getting milked by the professionals, and its all because the misfit, wannabe-cool liberal hipster fakkits will give anyone carte blanche to do anything as long as they pretend it gives them some kind of moral superiority card to play and look cool and important. Good grief.

Default Re: Bravo Beatriz Vergara and 8 other California college students

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by niko

I'm sure your kids are mighty proud you spend your free time looking up and posting did not read gifs on the internet.

Must really turn your wife on too.

Local High School Star SunsN07BookIt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    The state governor is basically fighting court battles on behalf of the union

How utterly shameless. This dude is a known special interest thug and idiot loser libs in Cali voted for him simply because he put a (D) by his name.

This is a testament to what a mindless lot of idiot sheep so many people are. And how they get suckered by the government. And why the TEACHERS UNION IS BEHIND CALIFORNIAS PUSH FOR MORE ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.

Californians getting milked by the professionals, and its all because the misfit, wannabe-cool liberal hipster fakkits will give anyone carte blanche to do anything as long as they pretend it gives them some kind of moral superiority card to play and look cool and important. Good grief.

This should be good. The judge said that teacher tenure discriminates against minorities. So it's going to be civil rights liberals battling pro-union liberals, while the rest of California gets to sit back and watch the show. Guess which states have the most racially segregated schools in the US? Somewhere in the South? Try again. It's California and New York.

Who are the people in the title?

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SunsN07BookIt
    This should be good. The judge said that teacher tenure discriminates against minorities. So it's going to be civil rights liberals battling pro-union liberals, while the rest of California gets to sit back and watch the show. Guess which states have the most racially segregated schools in the US? Somewhere in the South? Try again. It's California and New York.

Yup. It was a good move in this case to play the minority card. Tenure does affect low income people because overpaid teachers makes tuition more expensive. But I guess 'low income' doesn't garner as much sympathy as the nice handy buzzword "minority." Afterall, we're taught to pity blacks and hispanics simply for being black and hispanic. It makes liberals feel simultaneously superior for being white, and ultra superior for having the compassion to recognize how superior they are for being white and try to help the poor little minority out. Double whammy of self indulgence.

If they had simply said "low income" then all the dumbass loser libs might have mistook it as being "probably a bunch of stupid rednecks who believe in jesus or something, screw them." But by throwing "minority" out there, you've got every idiot wannabe-smart, wannabe-cool, wanna-fit-in liberal out there ripping off his shirt to show that S emblem on his chest.

"Minorities in trouble? WHERE??

TO THE RESCUE!!!!

I'M HERE TO SAVE THE DAY!!! AND LOOK SOOOOO COOL AND PROGRESSIVE N STUFF WHILE I DO IT YOU GUYS. EVERYONE LOOK AT ME, I'M SO SMART BC I STICK UP FOR THE LITTLE GUY NO MATTER WHAT, BC IT MAKES ME LOOK LIKE I HAVE AN ANGLE OR I KNOW SOMETHING YOU DONT. I'M JUST SO MUCH SMARTER THAN THE STUPID REDNECKS. EVERYONE LOOK. LOOK HOW SMART I AM N STUFF."
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 08-30-2014 at 10:25 PM.

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

Radical left-wing activist judges wreaking havoc on radical left-wing activist unions lol I love it. Damn hippycrites

NBA Legend

It'll be interesting to see what ISH's resident loser leftists have to say about this topic.

Oh wait, they won't comment on it. They're still rummaging the archives for old george bush threads they can post in to look rebellious and intellectual.

I'm sure your kids are mighty proud you spend your free time looking up and posting did not read gifs on the internet.

Your kids and wife must love the bullshit that you spew on these forums too!

Oh that's right, you don't have kids or a wife. You are just an unemployed basement dwelling 35 year old who lives alone while mooching off your daddy's charity.

Anyway, please tell us more about fixing Americas problems, since you are obviously such an expert in these matters.
    Last edited by Nanners; 08-30-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Local High School Star wakencdukest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunsN07BookIt

Teachers unions encourage mediocrity. Why does some old lazy ass teacher get to just coast while better more motivated teachers get held back? Why don't teachers get raises based on merit and why can't a bad teacher get fired? Goddamn unions.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    Your kids and wife must love the bullshit that you spew on these forums too!

Oh that's right, you don't have kids or a wife. You are just an unemployed basement dwelling 35 year old who lives alone while mooching off your daddy's charity.

Anyway, please tell us more about fixing Americas problems, since you are obviously such an expert in these matters.

You stalk me online with internet gimmicks.

Take a moment to reflect on that.

Even the fabricated description of me you just made up is more appealing than the life that you ACTUALLY have.

Aren't you the failed actor who still live with his parents at the ripe age of 30?

Who are you to make fun of somebody...

You stalk me online with internet gimmicks.

Take a moment to reflect on that.

Even the fabricated description of me you just made up is more appealing than the life that you ACTUALLY have.
    Lol I ain't no gimmick. You are the guy who has multiple accounts, not me

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Aren't you the failed actor who still live with his parents at the ripe age of 30?

Who are you to make fun of somebody...
    Yes, but he is actually closer to 40 than 30