Default Which posters here started watching before Bird/Magic came into the league?

When did you guys start watching?

I'm aware of a few of you around here, who have been great resources and dropped tons of knowledge. Just wondering if there are any others of whom I'm unaware who could be an asset when myself/others have questions about 60s/70s ball.

Default Re: Which posters here started watching before Bird/Magic came into the league?

no one on ish. they just gona lie an say they did.

Default Re: Which posters here started watching before Bird/Magic came into the league?

I started watching the NBA on CBS in 1977. For college basketball, living in the Midwest, all we got was pretty much Notre Dame games on TV. Radio was the thing! You could hear a Kentucky basketball game, DePaul, any Big Ten team game. Also I remember when CBS had their game of the week (usually a Boston Celtics game depending on your region), at halftime there was a H-O-R-S-E competition. The NBA has come a long way since then.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    When did you guys start watching?

I'm aware of a few of you around here, who have been great resources and dropped tons of knowledge. Just wondering if there are any others of whom I'm unaware who could be an asset when myself/others have questions about 60s/70s ball.
    I watched some basketball before that, but the year I started watching regularly (i.e. all televised games of my favorite team, the Celtics) was actually the year Bird and Magic came into the league. I'd seen a few games in years prior--I remember Havlicek, and Cowens, and Jo Jo White, and Bob McAdoo (I remember thinking he was the most fun player ever to watch), and Rick Barry, because the underhand free throws were a novelty, but it really wasn't until 1979 that I truly started to understand the game.