Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    owwwww

Default Larry Bird 47 pts vs. Blazers (The left handed game)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R76nMD8buR8

So Celtics had won 14 of their last 15 games (most with McHale injured). Apparently Bird told his teammates he was getting bored so he decided to challenge himself by finishing EVERY shot with his left hand (ie. everything not a jumpshot). He did this till the last 6 minutes or so of the 4th period.

He ended up dropping 47/14/11 (had 35/15/11 just the night before), and 22 points came from his left hand, because he felt like doing it for whatever reason. If this isn't impressive enough, he forces overtime and then hits the game-winning shot with 3 seconds left in OT. There was a stretch in the 3rd-4th where he scored 12 straight points with his left, and at the end of regulation he had more points with his left than he did with his right.

For someone to be this good is just sick...

Default Re: Larry Bird 47 pts vs. Blazers (The left handed game)

But he doesn't jump high...

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    But he doesn't jump high...
    He is doing this to Kersey and Drexler too. Would continue torching Portland from 1984 to his last game against them in 1992. Blazers were for Bird what Cleveland was for Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9

So Celtics had won 14 of their last 15 games (most with McHale injured). Apparently Bird told his teammates he was getting bored so he decided to challenge himself by finishing EVERY shot with his left hand (ie. everything not a jumpshot). He did this till the last 6 minutes or so of the 4th period.

He ended up dropping 47/14/11 (had 35/15/11 just the night before), and 22 points came from his left hand, because he felt like doing it for whatever reason. If this isn't impressive enough, he forces overtime and then hits the game-winning shot with 3 seconds left in OT. There was a stretch in the 3rd-4th where he scored 12 straight points with his left, and at the end of regulation he had more points with his left than he did with his right.

hmmm, this time your thread is confusing me.... this makes kobe look good and mj bad how exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9

Truly a sick game by Legend... He made it look so easy... so straightforward...

It's amazing how times have changed though (not in terms of the game, though it has, but really in how we react to the players). I can't imagine what would happen if Lebron did something like this.

National High School Star KoolKat's Avatar

Larry fcking Legend, ripping guys in his prime and OUT his prime

Banned

Crazy.

Maybe the most skilled and smartest basketball player ever

I think that video underlined how important skill is, there were a few pretty moves there by Bird which I think would've worked in any era of the league. There was one play where Bird spins inside for a lefty layup, which at first I thought was an incredibly slow spin and shot, but then I realised it doesn't matter because you could still do it today (Yao ming does it and he's one of the slowest players in the league).

College star

So he shot everything that wasn't a jumpshot with his left hand? that's pretty impressive.

I guess that includes hooks, layups, tip-ins, and runners? Very impressive outing

Now THATS class. Reminds once again how amazingly good Bird was in the Golden age of the NBA. Damn I miss those times...

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Bill Walton talked about this in a long interview he gave when Bird turned 50. He said he did it a few times in 86. And hed always have a great game when he did.

Banned

It's like the defense of Kersey is not even there.
    Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo; 07-26-2009 at 02:51 PM.

Raps, Jazz, and UCONN rosonviyavong's Avatar

Larry Legend for a reason I wish I could do that ..yesterday during some pickup games I was posting up on some guy and decided to throw the ball backwards over my head and IT went in ALA Larry Bird style

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by brantonli
    There was one play where Bird spins inside for a lefty layup, which at first I thought was an incredibly slow spin and shot
    Kind of hard to get to the shot when the body of the player (who is pretty tall) is between it. I doubt that players were even expecting him to shoot with his left on some of these plays (left handed runners on a semi fast break? Is that really what you prepare yourself to stop in that scenario?).

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Bill Walton talked about this in a long interview he gave when Bird turned 50. He said he did it a few times in 86. And hed always have a great game when he did.
    Yea, he said there was a game where he had 28 points with his left hand or something vs. Portland...I'm assuming he was talking about this one though. Games between that roadtrip and the end of the season, he used his left hand more often than ever before (even in the playoffs vs. Bucks, he made 10-12 shots with his left hand against them in the first two games).

Was so comfortable with it that if he was asked to sign autographs and he was carrying something in his right hand, he wouldn't even bother to switch over, and would just sign/write left handed. I don't know if he was naturally ambidextrous or he worked on it but he's got the most impressive off hand ever.