Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #2341
jamal99
Valar Morghulis
 
jamal99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Serbia
Posts: 5,043
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Started lifting finally and getting up tomorrow is gonna be hard af...

I plan on working out 3x a week, can someone help me about workout plan? As in how to split exercises for those 3 days? I only have a general idea about that...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #2342
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 14,436
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
Not sure what hateraid's up to, but it sounds like he ain't selling supps no more
I'm still in the industry my brother. I just don't miss the retail side of it. I've been with Dymatize for 6 years now.

I'm just referring to the fact that I've given basic nutrtion knowledge on here dozens of times and people will go in full circles still after the fact. It it reminded me of when I worked in retail and at GNC. I always wondered why ask if you're just going to do it your way anyways?
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #2343
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 14,436
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNBAfan


I don't blame you... kids read shit on the internet and pretend they know the science behind everything. Whatever, done with this thread because there's enough people here suited to answer beginner questions.
That's the problem. Research is so subjective. People only search for what they want to hear, but when given actual knowledgable advice it then all of a sudden becomes confusing. That's what makes what I do so frustrating. You try and genuinely tell people the correct thing to do but they ignore it and ask, "yeah, yeah, yeah, but what about creatine? Fat burners? Prohormones?......"
Then they go out and try it, fail, and say the supplement industry is a scam when they should have listened to the initial advice in the first place.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #2344
KyrieTheFuture
NBA sixth man of the year
 
KyrieTheFuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,030
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
I'm still in the industry my brother. I just don't miss the retail side of it. I've been with Dymatize for 6 years now.

I'm just referring to the fact that I've given basic nutrtion knowledge on here dozens of times and people will go in full circles still after the fact. It it reminded me of when I worked in retail and at GNC. I always wondered why ask if you're just going to do it your way anyways?
Obviously you're biased, but how is your gainer shake?
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #2345
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 14,436
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
Obviously you're biased, but how is your gainer shake?

It depends on what you're looking for. If your goal is strictly the calorie intake and want to match calorie per calorie then Dymatize is a little higher on the cost side of things. But you get what you pay for.

Here's some things we can certify that other companies cant:

Gluten Free
Our product is 100% gluten free. On top of any digestive issues people may or may not have gluten is one of the cheapest source to attain amino acids. Hence how some companies can bring their costs down. they use them as fillers, but because they still count under the protein profile you can claim it as protein. We do not add fillers or AMINO SPIKE (this will come up a lot in terms of cracking down on low quality products). Look for glutamine peptides (very cheap source of aminos coming from gluten), added BCAA, high amounts of glycerine.....this soundsgreat, but it is an industry trick to bring down costs

Non-GMO
Our ingredients that are natural are non-GMO certified by Informed-Choice.org
Not to say it is 100% all natural. the ingredients that are are non-GMO

NSF Approved
Our products are 100% drug tested. We're even used by the AMG academy which develops athletes for the pro level AKA NFL Combines. all ingredients are pharmaceutical grade and IOC and other federation approved

If those things matter, then this is why you go Dymatize, if not and cost is your priority, then other products are fine
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #2346
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas
 
NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Am I here to amuse you?
Posts: 4,461
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Opinions about this workout regime? http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw94.htm

Contemplating the 3 day split
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #2347
Im Still Ballin
$ELF MADE
 
Im Still Ballin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 14,280
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
Opinions about this workout regime? http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw94.htm

Contemplating the 3 day split
Am I reading it right? I only see a 5 day split there

I think the general rule should be to hit a muscle more than once a week... If a recall correctly that's what all the research points to optimal growth.. hitting a muscle 2x a week

Not that I even think about it like that

I've always been a fan of basic old school strength style programs

More based on specific movements than bodyparts

My 3 days a week training I've done for ages is just loosely based off the texas method... Just volume/recovery/intensity... Easy as hell to follow, understand and change it/tailor it personally... I was getting bored of doing the same old shit and wasn't really pushing it, was considering doing a different program, but I found just changing up simple modalities and incorporating pause reps, and various cluster styles... I could keep getting in all the work, and cheat my way to "PRs"... If I'd fail on my 4th set of a 5x5 volume set, I'd use the same weight and just split the last set into a cluster, which could be anything from 1 rep at a time, or 3, then 2, etc...

Anyways, found that way I could keep it simple and still enjoy it, not getting bogged down on failing reps and not "technically" progressing

Feel like the mental aspect is just as important as the work put in... I essentially shift the goalposts for what is a PR or getting all reps in, which allows me to keep progressing in a sense

I like training like this because continual progressive overload/continually pushing yourself is by far the most important thing to... progressing.. Who knew lmao. Some say you shouldn't reach failure on strength programs but I disagree... Planned failure is great IMO... Just need to get enough rest and take a day off or two here and there

Well that's my philosophy on training... Keep it simple.. Get the work done, and keep progressing, even if that means shifting the goal posts... Things like fatigue/failure and time under tension matter.. But if you do 15 reps, that's 15 reps... Generally the more failure oriented, time under tension, pumped your training is the more hypertrophy oriented it is. I find my training naturally flows between hypertrophy focused, and strength focused, based on how I perform and if I need to use cluster sets/shift the goalposts for that PR... Every week I'm slightly upping the weight... The more I fail, the more strength focused it'll be because of more cluster reps... But even then it comes down to the basic texas method volume/recovery/intensity... It's all interchangable... I used to do 5 rep maxes on the intensity day, but now I do a 5 cluster set 1 rep at a time... Maximum strength focus, perfect bar speed and technique, pretty much zero grinding... Clean reps.. IMO this is what max sets should be like.

Lmao went on for a bit there.. Not sure how it relates to you because it sounds like you're doing a more bodybuilding/bodypart approach.. But i guess just make sure to hit muscles twice a week for maximum hypertrophy
Im Still Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #2348
Draz
The People's Choice
 
Draz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Strong Men Island
Posts: 19,224
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

I think I broke my pinky last night playing ball
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #2349
Twiens
lakers/raptors
 
Twiens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,652
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

First time doing deadlifts in 6-8 months, pulled 405 for 2.

Time to get consistent with these again
Twiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #2350
TheNaturalWR
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,202
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
Am I reading it right? I only see a 5 day split there

I think the general rule should be to hit a muscle more than once a week... If a recall correctly that's what all the research points to optimal growth.. hitting a muscle 2x a week

Not that I even think about it like that

I've always been a fan of basic old school strength style programs

More based on specific movements than bodyparts

My 3 days a week training I've done for ages is just loosely based off the texas method... Just volume/recovery/intensity... Easy as hell to follow, understand and change it/tailor it personally... I was getting bored of doing the same old shit and wasn't really pushing it, was considering doing a different program, but I found just changing up simple modalities and incorporating pause reps, and various cluster styles... I could keep getting in all the work, and cheat my way to "PRs"... If I'd fail on my 4th set of a 5x5 volume set, I'd use the same weight and just split the last set into a cluster, which could be anything from 1 rep at a time, or 3, then 2, etc...

Anyways, found that way I could keep it simple and still enjoy it, not getting bogged down on failing reps and not "technically" progressing

Feel like the mental aspect is just as important as the work put in... I essentially shift the goalposts for what is a PR or getting all reps in, which allows me to keep progressing in a sense

I like training like this because continual progressive overload/continually pushing yourself is by far the most important thing to... progressing.. Who knew lmao. Some say you shouldn't reach failure on strength programs but I disagree... Planned failure is great IMO... Just need to get enough rest and take a day off or two here and there

Well that's my philosophy on training... Keep it simple.. Get the work done, and keep progressing, even if that means shifting the goal posts... Things like fatigue/failure and time under tension matter.. But if you do 15 reps, that's 15 reps... Generally the more failure oriented, time under tension, pumped your training is the more hypertrophy oriented it is. I find my training naturally flows between hypertrophy focused, and strength focused, based on how I perform and if I need to use cluster sets/shift the goalposts for that PR... Every week I'm slightly upping the weight... The more I fail, the more strength focused it'll be because of more cluster reps... But even then it comes down to the basic texas method volume/recovery/intensity... It's all interchangable... I used to do 5 rep maxes on the intensity day, but now I do a 5 cluster set 1 rep at a time... Maximum strength focus, perfect bar speed and technique, pretty much zero grinding... Clean reps.. IMO this is what max sets should be like.

Lmao went on for a bit there.. Not sure how it relates to you because it sounds like you're doing a more bodybuilding/bodypart approach.. But i guess just make sure to hit muscles twice a week for maximum hypertrophy

Great post. Frequency is the key to maximizing hypertrophy and strength as well. You just have to know how to manage your volume per workout. I've made the best gains of my life on an Upper/Lower/Repeat routine, only taking rest days when I'm just feeling really shitty especially with my insomnia.

Have the same goals as you as well bro, not specifically training for hypertrophy or strength but both. As IMO for naturals they go hand in hand. My primary movement, I'll hit with a certain percentage that day and for the rest of the workout I'll add more volume. Best of both worlds. I hit each muscle anywhere from 3-4x a week and it's been great. I'm only 2 weeks into my bulk and I've already hit all-time PRs with only gaining a pound and a half max.
TheNaturalWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #2351
KyrieTheFuture
NBA sixth man of the year
 
KyrieTheFuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,030
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiens
First time doing deadlifts in 6-8 months, pulled 405 for 2.

Time to get consistent with these again
Jesus Christ
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #2352
TheNaturalWR
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,202
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
Started lifting finally and getting up tomorrow is gonna be hard af...

I plan on working out 3x a week, can someone help me about workout plan? As in how to split exercises for those 3 days? I only have a general idea about that...

If you're dead set on working out 3x a week I highly suggest you do a full-body routine. However if you can possibly add a 4th day I would suggest you do an Upper/Lower split. That way you hit each muscle group at least 2x a week and given you progress in weights and you're nutrition is on point, you will see results. If you're a beginner and I'm assuming you are, an Upper/Lower routine would look like this.

Upper
Flat Bench Press 3-5 sets
Pullups or Pulldowns 3-5 sets
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 sets
A row variation 3-5 sets
Tricep exercise 3-5 sets
Bicep exercises 3-5 sets
Face Pulls

Lower
Back Squats 3-5 sets
Leg Press 3-5 sets
Lying Hamstring Curl 3-5 sets
Calf Raises 4-5 sets

So these workouts spread throughout the week would look like this

Monday- Upper, Tuesday- Lower, Wednesday- Off, Thursday- Upper, Friday- Lower
TheNaturalWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:53 AM   #2353
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas
 
NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Am I here to amuse you?
Posts: 4,461
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Did my first leg day yesterday with pure calisthenics. Felt way more sore today.
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #2354
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas
 
NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Am I here to amuse you?
Posts: 4,461
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Started the Texas method somewhat. Working out biceps/triceps 2 days a week. Abs 2 days a week. I have started working out shoulders, back, deltoids 4 times a week because I ignored these major muscle groups a lot. Work on legs twice a week.

First official leg day (I have been avoiding them and substituting it with just working out and a decent quad machine at my gym).

Assisted leg press - Did about 30 reps at 270 lbs. Could max a set out at probably 310-330.
Hamstring leg curl - I only did 70 lbs or so and had a lot of trouble. Switched to a calf raise machine and was doing comfortably 190 lbs.
Quads - 80 lbs on both but I go 50 reps on each. I'm sure I can do more.

Forgot to do back squats last night. I will do it next time.
I will probably do one day with weights for legs and one day for calisthenics.

Having problems with shoulders though. I can only do 50 lbs or so on the deltoid machines. I guess those need major work. I used to have shoulder problems but doing side planks strengthen them a lot so I don't get those achy feelings that I used to get.

I've seen solid improvements in my shoulders ever since I have started working on them more. Back feels stronger and I have noticeably seen an improvement in my explosiveness on the basketball court a few nights ago. I'm starting to see more muscle shaping at the upper lower body area.

Last edited by NBAplayoffs2001 : 07-12-2016 at 01:28 PM.
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:52 PM   #2355
Twiens
lakers/raptors
 
Twiens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,652
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
Jesus Christ




Everyone has strengths. I need to bench like 3x week to really improve, but my deadlift numbers never seem to drop.
Twiens is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:57 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy