Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Bill Simmons skyhook

Didn't this guy argue Russell was better than Chamberlain and that Stockon is overrated?

A drunken Stevie Wonder in the middle of a hurricane would have a better chance of a making that shot.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    you dont have to have played on a high level. but you have to know what a basketball game feels like on the floor and not just on a TV screen

it's my personal opinion. cause i believe theres a hella lot more to basketball than just stats and athletic ability
    Basketball is tons of athletic ability tho. A skyhook? Can't happen if your uncoordinated. You can know everything about the defense your facing, when to properly execute it, have played for 15 years but if you lack the skills it's not going in.

Stats are irrelevant, look at guys like Luke Walton. Smart as hell but don't have the means to pull it off, that's at the NBA level. Guy's like Steve Nash are 6'3 and while may not be athletic at the NBA level, put regular humans to shame in terms of what they can do at there size vs the average person.

Bill Simmons can have all the basketball IQ in the world, guy has wrote books on basketball. If he doesn't have the physical talent? Doesn't mean he can't talk ball, just means he's not good at basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Basketball is tons of athletic ability tho. A skyhook? Can't happen if your uncoordinated. You can know everything about the defense your facing, when to properly execute it, have played for 15 years but if you lack the skills it's not going in.

Stats are irrelevant, look at guys like Luke Walton. Smart as hell but don't have the means to pull it off, that's at the NBA level. Guy's like Steve Nash are 6'3 and while may not be athletic at the NBA level, put regular humans to shame in terms of what they can do at there size vs the average person.

Bill Simmons can have all the basketball IQ in the world, guy has wrote books on basketball. If he doesn't have the physical talent? Doesn't mean he can't talk ball, just means he's not good at basketball.
    The reality is, he is not good at either.

And then one could argue that since he's never competed at a high level, or maybe even at all, that he may not have a big dick.

Yeah, he wrote books on basketball that contain nothing but sensationalist journalism fluff that has little to know value in terms of actually understanding how players play the game. He even lies in his books, quite literally just like how our famous ISH troll Euroleague lies. He says something, and doesn't/can't cite it, and assumes people will just take his word for it. The problem is people HAVE just taken accepted his word. But the guy is a journalist and an entertainer NOT a basketball expert, and especially not a basketball historian. Some of the crap he wrote in his books and passed off as truths is downright shameful. People need to understand, Simmons is not a basketball guru.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    People need to understand, Simmons is not a basketball guru.
    Says the guy who thinks Wilt would be putting up better than peak Shaq numbers today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyE_qS0snzs

^Looks like a decent old guy shooting hoops to me

OP just has a sore asshole because Simmons said something bad about Wilt.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    The reality is, he is not good at either.
    It's all pretty subjective. He doesn't deal in facts and in his profession your going to get alot of people disagreeing with you regardless of your stance. What isn't arguable is how much he's done as an online sports writer. Dude has put in work in that area, has two books as well. Both best sellers I believe.

Just because some dude can knock down a jumper better or can jump higher or is taller doesn't mean I'm going to believe he knows more about basketball than somebody who's been passionately following it for how long? I'm almost positive Simmons gave his kid the initials BOS

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    Says the guy who thinks Wilt would be putting up better than peak Shaq numbers today.
    At least my opinions are formed by actually studying archive footage and listening to the peers, contemporaries and former players of that era that ARE experts.

Cuba

The Wilt Chamberlain defense force.

Yeah, he wrote books on basketball that contain nothing but sensationalist journalism fluff that has little to know value in terms of actually understanding how players play the game. He even lies in his books, quite literally just like how our famous ISH troll Euroleague lies. He says something, and doesn't/can't cite it, and assumes people will just take his word for it. The problem is people HAVE just taken accepted his word. But the guy is a journalist and an entertainer NOT a basketball expert, and especially not a basketball historian. Some of the crap he wrote in his books and passed off as truths is downright shameful. People need to understand, Simmons is not a basketball guru.
    Says who? The dude who posts on a message board and uploads videos to youtube?

People on ISH talk as if basketball deals in facts. As if the term basketball guru isn't completely subjective and isn't entirely based on one's opinion. I'm not 7 years old, I can think for myself like most functioning adults. Nobody is pretending Bill Simmons word is that of a god, just that because he can't hit a skyhook doesn't mean he doesn't have an understanding of the game.

I actually haven't read his books, I thought one was about baseball. I heard the book of basketball was actually a good read tho, or whatever the latest one is. I know the guy has been writing about basketball for a long time. Didn't he get a job offer from ESPN based on a website he created?

I'm not even that big of a fan. Nobody is going to be right all the time, everybody is guilty of a stupid opinion when it comes to sports. We all have are personal bias.

At least my opinions are formed by actually studying archive footage and listening to the peers, contemporaries and former players of that era that ARE experts.
    Once again that's your opinion. We've seen how peers think of eachother, Jordan was amazing but has been terrible in the FO. Isiah Thomas? Brian Shaw is a headcoach, how many players were better than him? Just because some guy was 6'7 and had all world talent or athletic ability doesn't mean what he says goes.

Yeah that guy who has made his living starting his own sports websites and working for ESPN probably doesn't study archive footage. Just because you don't agree with his OPINIONS doesn't mean he doesn't watch basketball.

Dunking on everybody in the park

It's not a skyhook, it's a jump hook (only he doesn't jump).

Banned

Just because you don't agree with his OPINIONS doesn't mean he doesn't watch basketball.
    I think this dude is a troll anyway. No way someone is that invested in Wilt and his era without some sort of irony and even then that's too much effort for any sane person.