Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: The Mystery of Jerry West's Gorilla Wingspan

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Hopefully your PM's to those two were nowhere near as deplorable as the one's you sent me.

And yes, you are a "Wilt-hater." You have PROVEN that beyond a shadow of a doubt. In virtually EVERY topic in which Wilt's name is brought up, you pop in with nothing but disparaging remarks,...and of course,...NOTHING to substantiate your bias.

You have become a laughingstock on this forum, and yet, you repeatedly come back for more. NO ONE, other than the remnants of the "anti-Chamberlain" gang that is left, sides with you. And even those few that are left are fast dwindling. Of course, they have no legs left to stand on, now that we are getting more-and-more video footage, articles, and quotes from respected peers, which just destroys the "Wilt-bashers" here on this forum.
    Haha, have I become a laughingstock on this forum..
    Can't believe that you would say that to anyone, you can't even start a thread without people mocking you. In fact, even Wilt-fans mock you..

The only thing I do is to challenge your nonsense and made up crap. And the funny thing is, I didn't even know who the hell you were prior to your spamming in some thread where people discussed Hakeem. You wrote essays after essays and everyone told you top stop but since you're mentally challenged you couldn't. You're famous for your OT-posts.. SUCKER.

Again, shut up, don't ruin this thread.

OT: Nothing beats Rajon Rondos wingspan tho... relative to height i mean...

he has a 6'10-6'11 wingspan and is 6'0-6'1........ that is freakish...

Last edited by pauk; 03-17-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    OT: Nothing beats Rajon Rondos wingspan tho... relative to height i mean...

he has a 6'10-6'11 wingspan and is 6'0-6'1........ that is freakish...

I posted the video earlier in this thread, sports science measured him - 6'9 wingspan, and he's ~6'1 in height. I'd think Bismack Biyombo is either tied or takes the cake of "relative" wingspan to height. 6'8.31" barefoot at the time of the NBA draft with a fraction of an inch more tha 7'6" wingspan...

Both of those guys are def top tier armspan/height ratio. There might be a few others in that demographic you can browse www.draftexpress.com/measurements to see who else stands out.

Elton Brand wingspan

6'8.25" (with out shoes)
    7'5'5" wingspan

Ben Gordon

6'1" (6'2.25" in shoes)
    6'8.5" wingspan
    200 lbs

Satch Sanders and Sam Jones watch Havlicek pick some dudes pockets while watching highlights of an old playoff game and the guy watching with them and listening to them talk says "Havlicek must have had quick hands" - Satch says "well he was also equipped with that deceptively large wingspan he gave a lot of people trouble on defense"... later they mention the same thing for the Lakers workhorse forward Rudy Larusso would inversely give them problems with his defense.

Believe it or not based on the book the Rivalry that I'm reading thousands of players were scouted every year all over the country back then by a network of each teams regional contacts and scouts to make sure the very best 25 players in the game were the ones being drafted every year (because teams that tanked knew exactly which pick they'd have and wanted to have the upper hand, and they'd often make trade deals if such and such team drafted such and such player first) - There was no organized draft camp to take measurements like what has been done this past decade, but I think it's no coincidence that a lot of the "top 25" players had what we know today as the successful physical ingredients of good players. Bob Cousy had excellent peripheral vision and large hands which we now know is good for point guards - allegedly he also had a good enough vertical that at 6'1 he could still get up and dunk though I haven't seen this on film. Jerry West at 6'3 could dunk I've seen that on film and the NBA.com bio says he could get 16" above rim when he entered the league.

There's also footage of the Lakers early 60's 6'2 white-dude point guard Jimmy King palming the ball around with ease with the coach saying he also had very large hands, and he shows hang time on a lot of his plays, and does an in game dunk that looked effortless. I bet a lot of those guys, white or black, would be the typical expected NBA specimens that all have the various physical traits that had incidentally given them the extra edge to be the best among the best. When your only drafting 25 guys a year that are the best of the best NCAA athletes it's probably not going to be coincidence that they had physical traits (even if they went unmeasured) helping them be that much better than their competition. Wish there were more measurements of a lot of these guys but it's pretty cool that I actually found numbers of West's wingspan, I always wondered what it was because he rebounds and did chase-down blocks so well for such a diminutive shooting guard
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-20-2012 at 10:00 AM.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore TheTenth's Avatar

Sorry for the bump, but I may have found some other late 50s/early 60s player's wingspans. What I did was use "pixel stick" to calculate the length of the outstretched arm, ball, and chest. Then I multiplied arm x 2, added chest length, and divided that sum by the ball length. Then I multiplied this number by 9 (since the ball is 9 inches long.) It sounds really complicated but it was actually rather simple.

None of this exact science, and obviously many of the measurements may be wrong. I give a interval of (-1, +1.5) to either add or subtract from the number I find for the exact length but I did measure Russell's to check validity.

Cliff Hagan:
    Height: 6'4
    Wingspan: 6'4.2

Bill Russell:
    Height: 6'10
    Wingspan: 7'3.6

John Havlicek:
    Height: 6'5
    Wingspan: 6'7.5

Tom Heinsohn
    Height: 6'7
    Wingspan: 6'9.1

Bob Cousy:
    Height: 6'1
    Wingspan: 6'3.5

^ Cousy's shocked me the most, since players from the time talk about how he had such long arms/hands. Maybe I'm off on the measurements.

Pictures used:
    http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/celt...shot300400.jpg
    http://brendanmarshall929.files.word...ussellmeek.jpg
    http://thumbs2.picclick.com/d/w500/p...oto-Boston.jpg

National High School Star

^^^

No problem . The posts of Cavalierftw, Jlauber,Psileas ,etc... about the 60's era my absolute favorite whenever I get the time to log in.

Keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by TheTenth
    Sorry for the bump, but I may have found some other late 50s/early 60s player's wingspans. What I did was use "pixel stick" to calculate the length of the outstretched arm, ball, and chest. Then I multiplied arm x 2, added chest length, and divided that sum by the ball length. Then I multiplied this number by 9 (since the ball is 9 inches long.) It sounds really complicated but it was actually rather simple.

None of this exact science, and obviously many of the measurements may be wrong. I give a interval of (-1, +1.5) to either add or subtract from the number I find for the exact length but I did measure Russell's to check validity.

Cliff Hagan:
    Height: 6'4
    Wingspan: 6'4.2

Bill Russell:
    Height: 6'10
    Wingspan: 7'3.6

John Havlicek:
    Height: 6'5
    Wingspan: 6'7.5

Tom Heinsohn
    Height: 6'7
    Wingspan: 6'9.1

Bob Cousy:
    Height: 6'1
    Wingspan: 6'3.5

^ Cousy's shocked me the most, since players from the time talk about how he had such long arms/hands. Maybe I'm off on the measurements.

Pictures used:
    http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/celt...shot300400.jpg
    http://brendanmarshall929.files.word...ussellmeek.jpg
    http://thumbs2.picclick.com/d/w500/p...oto-Boston.jpg
    I don't want to dismiss your effort, but the numbers you've extrapolated can not be accurate for numerous reasons. Starting with the fact that a ball is not 9 inches around. And the human skeleton is flexible and standing in any posture other than spread eagle won't be able to net you a measurable wingspan. Even if you had snapshots of all the guys with their arms stretched out perfectly, I've learned even that isn't accurate to estimate a wingspan due to the nature of different focal lengths on camera lenses. The only thing you can do is go by something that was measured in person. If a players height, weight, or wingspan wasn't measured than truthfully these things can only be treated as unkown variables.

You should try your method with at least 5 different photographs of a single player who has been precisely measured before if you think I'm wrong. See how many different numbers you end up with. If you end up with a consistent result, then you may be on to something, otherwise I've done this before and I've only gotten inconsistent unreliable results.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 07-09-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I don't want to dismiss your effort, but the numbers you've extrapolated can not be accurate for numerous reasons. Starting with the fact that a ball is not 9 inches around. And the human skeleton is flexible and standing in any posture other than spread eagle won't be able to net you a wingspan estimate anyways. Even if you had snapshots of all the guys with their arms stretched out, I've learned even that isn't accurate to estimate a wingspan due to the different focal lengths of camera lenses. The only thing you can do is go by something that was measured in person.
    Oh no, that is what I am looking for. I don't think my measurements are valid either, and in fact I was just looking for a reference point that might make sense. I think I pm'd you on this once, and never having a response I decided to try it out on my own and see what I came up with. I'd figure that a rough estimate would still be useful to people on this site though.

But the 9 inch mark, I believe I got from you on your "Kevin McHale Wingspan" photo. Or do you not believe that you had an accurate measurement for him? ...I mean it's definitely not the 8'0 wingspan that people have claimed.

Either way, I'm really curious about this because I want to know if other star players in this time had the ridiculous wingspan over height ratio that today's players do. If anyone has some info on guys like Cousy, Pettit, Sharman, Ramsey, Lovellette, Sanders, Jones, etc. it would be much appreciated.

Btw, I have found one of Vern Mikkelsen in high school with the "spread eagle with two balls palmed" but I don't know how interested in 50s players you are.

Quote Originally Posted by CavsFTW
    You should try your method with at least 5 different photographs of a single player who has been precisely measured before if you think I'm wrong. See how many different numbers you end up with. If you end up with a consistent result, then you may be on to something, otherwise I've done this before and I've only gotten inconsistent unreliable results.
    I agree, the problem is finding these photos. I have found maybe 3 for Cousy, 2 for Havlicek, but everyone else it seems like there is only 1.
    Last edited by TheTenth; 07-09-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Oh no, that is what I am looking for. I don't think my measurements are valid either, and in fact I was just looking for a reference point that might make sense. I think I pm'd you on this once, and never having a response I decided to try it out on my own and see what I came up with. I'd figure that a rough estimate would still be useful to people on this site though.

But the 9 inch mark, I believe I got from you on your "Kevin McHale Wingspan" photo. Or do you not believe that you had an accurate measurement for him? ...I mean it's definitely not the 8'0 wingspan that people have claimed.

Either way, I'm really curious about this because I want to know if other star players in this time had the ridiculous wingspan over height ratio that today's players do. If anyone has some info on guys like Cousy, Pettit, Sharman, Ramsey, Lovellette, Sanders, Jones, etc. it would be much appreciated.

Btw, I have found one of Vern Mikkelsen in high school with the "spread eagle with two balls palmed" but I don't know how interested in 50s players you are.

I agree, the problem is finding these photos. I have found maybe 3 for Cousy, 2 for Havlicek, but everyone else it seems like there is only 1.
    Do it with Blake Griffin - I won't tell you his wingspan - and whatever you do don't look it up! Approach it being clueless, and see what you come up with. If you get 5 relatively consistent numbers and they match up with what his actual wingspan measured then your on to something - if not than you'll know it won't work. It's better than trusting the method w/o any evidence that supports that it works. If I was to guess, I would guess that it doesn't work for my aforementioned reasons - and I've also tried this before with about 3 pics and got nothing consistent. But who knows your methods could be different and its worth testing if you've got the time.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 07-09-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Do it with Blake Griffin - I won't tell you his wingspan - and whatever you do don't look it up! Approach it being clueless, and see what you come up with. If you get 5 relatively consistent numbers and they match up with what his actual wingspan measured then your on to something - if not than you'll know it won't work. It's better than trusting the method w/o any evidence that supports that it works. If I was to guess, I would guess that it doesn't work for my aforementioned reasons - and I've also tried this before with about 3 pics and got nothing consistent. But who knows your methods could be different and its worth testing if you've got the time.
    I already knew Blake Griffins. I'll pick someone else and come back though. You are probably correct in that it is not very valid or reliable. Most of all I was hoping if I dedicated a little time into deducing it with my own means, it might get someone's attention with access to some newspaper archives or information to things not posted yet and they would respond with "Bob Cousy actually had x wingspan" or something. But I'll try and dedicate some time into the reliability of my test.

Bob Cousy had excellent peripheral vision and large hands which we now know is good for point guards - allegedly he also had a good enough vertical that at 6'1 he could still get up and dunk though I haven't seen this on film.
    Where did you get this information that Bob Cousy could dunk? Do you have a link? Because I read somewhere that Cousy/Sharman had difficulty touching rim and that was how they deciphered that the rim was too low in the 1957 finals game that led to Kerner punching Auerbach. This of course makes little sense because Wilt had Sharman on his list of best atheletes, but then again Wilt was known to be a "contrarian." I would really appreciate the source on this!

Btw, I remember when searching for Blake Griffin's wingspan a while back I came across these photos, maybe they will give someone a laugh.

Last edited by TheTenth; 07-09-2013 at 10:10 PM.

I already knew Blake Griffins. I'll pick someone else and come back though. You are probably correct in that it is not very valid or reliable. Most of all I was hoping if I dedicated a little time into deducing it with my own means, it might get someone's attention with access to some newspaper archives or information to things not posted yet and they would respond with "Bob Cousy actually had x wingspan" or something. But I'll try and dedicate some time into the reliability of my test.

Where did you get this information that Bob Cousy could dunk? Do you have a link? Because I read somewhere that Cousy/Sharman had difficulty touching rim and that was how they deciphered that the rim was too low in the 1957 finals game that led to Kerner punching Auerbach. This of course makes little sense because Wilt had Sharman on his list of best atheletes, but then again Wilt was known to be a "contrarian." I would really appreciate the source on this!

Btw, I remember when searching for Blake Griffin's wingspan a while back I came across these photos, maybe they will give someone a laugh.

I look all the time on Google News Archives - that's how I found Jerry West's, Elvin Hayes, Kareem's etc etc. Some players have had numbers printed, but I'm willing to be 90% weren't even measured and of the ones that were, 90 percent of those guys probably never had it printed in an article about themselves

I look all the time on Google News Archives - that's how I found Jerry West's, Elvin Hayes, Kareem's etc etc. Some players have had numbers printed, but I'm willing to be 90% weren't even measured and of the ones that were, 90 percent of those guys probably never had it printed in an article about themselves
    Ok I will see what I can do.
    What about Bob Cousy being able to dunk? Where did you get that information? Sorry, it's my last question, I promise.