Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: 2013 Draft Combine Discussion + general prospect talk

I really like tony snell

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

I knew Otto Porter was long, but damn...

6-8.5 w/shoes. 7-1.5 wingspan. 8-9.5 reach.

Those are some crazy numbers for a SF.

Da Mavs

Yahoo Sports has an article up that says Noel is looking to return by Christmas! Put his debut on the schedule

Da Mavs

Team in the lottery that intrigues me the most going forward is Cleveland. Like holy shit, they look like the Thunder circa 2009 with all the genius picks in the lottery being stacked up.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    Team in the lottery that intrigues me the most going forward is Cleveland. Like holy shit, they look like the Thunder circa 2009 with all the genius picks in the lottery being stacked up.
    General consensus seems to be, unless they land the No. 1 pick, Cavs are going to take Otto Porter.

Then again, consensus never mattered to Chris Grant before. This time last year, Dion Waiters wasn't on anyone's radar that high.

Still, I love those measurements today by Porter to go along with his motor and skillset. He has the potential to be an elite, versatile defender.

The No. 19 pick that we got from the Lakers should be interesting too.

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    General consensus seems to be, unless they land the No. 1 pick, Cavs are going to take Otto Porter.

Then again, consensus never mattered to Chris Grant before. This time last year, Dion Waiters wasn't on anyone's radar that high.

Still, I love those measurements today by Porter to go along with his motor and skillset. He has the potential to be an elite, versatile defender.

The No. 19 pick that we got from the Lakers should be interesting too.
    Porter definitely seems like a good fit in Cleveland.

Are you buying the whole draft Noel and tank another year talk? I think it's BS...I'm thinking Cavs will be looking to make the 8 seed, finally try and put a healthy year together and develop the talent that's there.

You think they need to make any sort of a deal or FA signing to bring in experienced star players?

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    Porter definitely seems like a good fit in Cleveland.

Are you buying the whole draft Noel and tank another year talk? I think it's BS...I'm thinking Cavs will be looking to make the 8 seed, finally try and put a healthy year together and develop the talent that's there.

You think they need to make any sort of a deal or FA signing to bring in experienced star players?
    I do believe (and hope) that Noel is a serious consideration depending on where we fall in the lottery. I don't buy the "tank another season" talk, though. They will make a run at the playoffs next year, one way or the other.

There is lots of talent already beginning to mature on that roster and Mike Brown will bring the kind of defensive principles with him that have been missing the last two years.

I'm not even sure the team has to make any FA splashes to compete for the playoffs.

You will have Varejao coming back next year. Kyrie and Tristan in year three. Waiters and Zeller in year two.

Plus, whoever we bring in this year. If it's Noel.... Yeah, he won't be contributing anything for at least the first half of the year, but we still have another top 20 pick in a draft that looks pretty deep to me.

The Cavs' starting lineup last year had an average age of under 22 for the majority of the season. There will be a pretty big jump next year, I think, assuming guys can stay healthy (a big "if" with Kyrie and Varejao being key players).

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

I'm not to sure the Cavs take Noel with #1 even if they get. Might trade back because we can't afford to take Noel IMO if we want Thompson as our long term 4. Porter is my preferred pick and I have no idea who I want at 19...Dieng? Steven Adams? I'd like to trade varejao so a new 5 would be cool.

Edit: With Noel we could be an elite defensive squad almost immediately under Mike Brown but...that's not a whole lot of scoring potential.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    I'm not to sure the Cavs take Noel with #1 even if they get. Might trade back because we can't afford to take Noel IMO if we want Thompson as our long term 4. Porter is my preferred pick and I have no idea who I want at 19...Dieng? Steven Adams? I'd like to trade varejao so a new 5 would be cool.
    Varejao should absolutely not be traded unless the deal is right. His contract is just too good to give up "just because," imo.

There was a time when I didn't think a defensive center would be a good match with Tristan in the frontcourt, but with TT's massive strides last year on the offensive end, it is no longer something I fear. Tristan is going to end up being a good offensive player, I think, and it all depends on what Grant & Co. think of Noel.

Something tells me Mike Brown would love to have a rim protector, though, and god knows we need one in the worst way. If we land the No. 1 pick, I think it would be incredibly stupid to take a lesser player or move out of the spot due to "fit."

I mean, I can see not taking a PG, SG or PF, because those spots are pretty well locked up for the future. However, we actually need an elite center prospect. I think Zeller will end up being a nice option off of the bench. If they feel Noel is an elite prospect, you take him and don't think twice, imo.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 05-18-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Boozer and Lebron Fam CarlosBoozer's Avatar

hi buffbill

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Varejao should absolutely not be traded unless the deal is right. His contract is just too good to give up "just because," imo.

There was a time when I didn't think a defensive center would be a good match with Tristan in the frontcourt, but with TT's massive strides last year on the offensive end, it is no longer something I fear. Tristan is going to end up being a good offensive player, I think, and it all depends on what Grant & Co. think of Noel.

Something tells me Mike Brown would love to have a rim protector, though, and god knows we need one in the worst way. If we land the No. 1 pick, I think it would be incredibly stupid to take a lesser player or move out of the spot due to "fit."

I mean, I can see not taking a PG, SG or PF, because those spots are pretty well locked up for the future. However, we actually need an elite center prospect. I think Zeller will end up being a nice option off of the bench. If they feel Noel is an elite prospect, you take him and don't think twice, imo.
    I can buy that. I'm pretty happy with wherever we land I think we can get a solid prospect. I don't want to trade Varejao just to trade him but I'm assuming we could get a nice package for him no

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosBoozer
    hi buffbill

creep

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    I can buy that. I'm pretty happy with wherever we land I think we can get a solid prospect. I don't want to trade Varejao just to trade him but I'm assuming we could get a nice package for him no
    One would think, but I also believe if something really great was offered, he would already be gone. With his getting injured the last two seasons, I'm not sure his trade stock is high enough to make offers incredibly appealing.

Boozer and Lebron Fam CarlosBoozer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
    creep

I think Carter-Williams just shot up the draft board.