Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ESPN Daily Dime: Top 10 Power Forwards of All-Time

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2074360

1. Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs, 1998-present

TD dominates at both ends of the floor. The Big Fundamental has two NBA championships with San Antonio in 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007(more than Malone, Barkley and Pettit combined). Stats and awards don't begin to tell the Tim Duncan story, but here are a few. MVP awards in 2002 and 2003, an all-league defender, and a 22.8 points per game average in his first seven seasons. He is 4 time NBA Champion and a 2 time MVP Winner.

2. Karl Malone – Utah Jazz, L.A. Lakers 1986-2004

The Mailman is simply the best low-post scoring power forward ever. And he was a lethal mid-range shooter. The 11-time NBA first-team player is second all-time in NBA scoring. The guy scored 36,928 points. That's a lot of picks and rolls and post ups. His 25.0 career average is another reason why this two-time MVP was voted onto the NBA's Top 50 squad.

3. Charles Barkley – Philadelphia 76ers,

Phoenix Suns, Houston Rockets 1985-2000

At less than 6-foot-5, Barkley is, inch for inch, arguably the most productive player ever. This top 50 player of all-time was a relentless scorer and one of the strongest in the low post. He was a first or second NBA teamer for 10 seasons. Over 16 seasons, Barkley averaged 22.1 points.

4. Kevin McHale – Boston Celtics 1981-1993

Greatest post moves ever at the four spot. One-third of the best frontline of all time. McHale not only was voted as one of the NBA's Top 50, but won three championships with the Celtics in 1981, '84, and '86. Early in his career, he became one of the greatest sixth men ever. McHale spent his entire career with Boston, averaging 17.9 points.

5. Bob Pettit – Milwaukee/St. Louis Hawks 1955-1965

Defined power-forward position. Before him there were just forwards. Pettit's Hawks topped the Celtics with Bob Cousy and Bill Russell in the NBA Finals in 1958. This top 50 player off all-time averaged 26.4 points over his career. This is quite a feat considering the era in which he played.

6. Kevin Garnett – Minnesota T-wolves 1996-present

Garnett plays the right way. He brings it every night. The MVP in 2004, Garnett is a four-time All-NBA defensive team member and has made the first or second All-NBA time five times. K-G has averaged 20.2 points and 11.1 rebounds over his career, all with the T-wolves.

7. Elvin Hayes – San Diego/Houston Rockets,

Baltimore/Capital/Washington Bullets 1969-1984

The Big E was an offensive machine. He could score from anywhere plus rebound and defend. Hayes voted one of the top 50 players of all-time. Won a championship with Washington in 1978 and is its all-time leader in points and blocked shots.

8. Dave DeBusschere – Detroit Pistons,
    New York Knicks 1963-1974

One of the links to two championship teams in New York in 1970 and 1973. DeBusschere was a strong, smart forward who could shoot with the best of them. He was voted as one of the top 50 players of all time.

9. Buck Williams – New Jersey Nets, Portland Trail Blazers, New York Knicks 1982-1998

Buck played 17 seasons with three teams and was one of the toughest, hard-nosed leaders of his era. Like Garnett, he came to play every single night. Buck is the all-time leading scorer and rebounder in New Jersey Nets history and helped the Blazers get to the Finals in 1990.

10. Dirk Nowitzki – Dallas Mavericks 1999-Present

No power forward dead or alive could keep him from dropping 20. Maybe Rodman. Best shooting big man ever … and he can drive and dunk it like a swinger. Another revolutionary, like Malone.

How is Buck Williams is on this lists?

Rank them yourself

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sport...tranker?id=291
    Last edited by Lebron23; 06-27-2007 at 11:23 AM.

Default Re: ESPN Daily Dime: Top 10 Power Forwards of All-Time

Buck played 17 seasons with three teams and was one of the toughest, hard-nosed leaders of his era. Like Garnett, he came to play every single night. Buck is the all-time leading scorer and rebounder in New Jersey Nets history and helped the Blazers get to the Finals in 1990.
    Read

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

This is 2 years old.

Tim Duncan only had 2 Rings in June 3, 2005

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23

How is Buck Williams is on this lists?

Rank them yourself

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sport...tranker?id=291
    Id take Buck Williams over Rasheed Wallace anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Id take Buck Williams over Rasheed Wallace anyday.
    I take Chris Webber over Buck Williams anyday he has many chance to win the MVP Award especially during the time that he plays for the Sacramento Kings. The guy is a great passer, have a decent shooting, can dribble the ball and have a great basketball IQ. Although he was an unproven winner how can you denied the fact that he have many memorable season before he was traded to the Sixers and Pistons.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 06-27-2007 at 11:29 AM.

I take Chris Webber over Buck Williams anyday he has many chance to win the MVP Award especially during the time that he plays for the Sacramento Kings. They guy is a great passer, have a decent shooting, can dribble the ball and have a great basketball IQ.
    and he was limited by injuries. Buck was one of the best rebounders ever and was a very good defender. He did this over 17 very consistent years where he was rarely injured.

Here is what the real list should look like in 5-10 years:

1.Duncan
    2. Malone
    3. Barkley
    4. Amare Stoudemire
    5. Garnett
    6. Nowitzki
    7. Mchale
    8. Bosh
    9. Brand
    10. Webber

I am Chris Wilcox

Here is what the real list should look like in 5-10 years:

1.Duncan
    2. Malone
    3. Barkley
    4. Amare Stoudemire
    5. Garnett
    6. Nowitzki
    7. Mchale
    8. Bosh
    9. Brand
    10. Webber
    Edit: Never mind this post I misread.

Talking Re: ESPN Daily Dime: Top 10 Power Forwards of All-Time

Quote Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
    Why is Malone ahead of Duncan?

Tim Duncan is ahead of Karl Malone , Malone might be the 2nd All time NBA Leading score but Tim Duncan has 4 NBA Championship rings in his fingers.

Mars Blackmon Lives!

i don't have any problem with that list. you could change the order some, but i guess those are basically the right names. dirk might slide up thanks to his mvp season last year and making the finals the year before. it's a shame about kemp, because he was more physically gifted than any of those guys. and webber may actually have been the most diversely skilled ever at the position, but he couldn't stay healthy or produce in the clutch.

I am Chris Wilcox

Tim Duncan is ahead of Karl Malone , Malone might be the 2nd All time NBA Leading score but Tim Duncan has 4 NBA Championship rings in his fingers.
    Yeah, I misread your post. I thought it said that Malone was ahead of Duncan. That's I edited my post to say "Never mind this post I misread."

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

[QUOTE=Lebron23]

[B]10. Dirk Nowitzki

Local High School Star CakeorDeath's Avatar

The Mailman is simply the best low-post scoring power forward ever.
    Yet some posters on this board repeatedly say that Malone was not that great in the low post, better in the mid-range.

News flash for those guys: Malone was phenomenal anywhere within 18 feet.

Banned

The Mailman is simply the best low-post scoring power forward ever.
    No, that would be Barkley. Malone may have been (and probably was) the better scorer overall, but strictly based on what each could do on the box, Barkley > Malone.

NBA rookie of the year Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
    and stephen jackson/matt barnes. j/k mavs fans.

i do think dirk should be higher than buck williams...if not yet then he will be eventually. I also agree that he is a revolutionary. He is extending the PF position to the perimeter, almost making it similar to a SF. pretty soon there will be inside power forwards and perimeter power forwards. bargnani is another player who fits this mold along with mehmet okur.
    Yeah I was think why Dirk was there than I realized that PF position is as good as the other position all time. Yeah Dirk did revolutionize the PF position with perimater game but the thing is he doens't have very much of a post game at all.