Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Joe Johnson Trade Rumors

I think it would be a horrible move to trade for Joe Johnson. Jennings was finally playing the best basketball of his career. Besides the fact that Jennings has a much better contract. I'm not sure who else Detroit would be forced to give up to match Johnson's salary but they would need to gut the team. It would also definitely mean Monroe is gone. This is such a bad idea is so many ways. I hope this is just a rumor and nothing more.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default Re: Joe Johnson Trade Rumors

Yeah makes VERY little sense for us to be making that move. I mean, have Joe play SF for us wouldn't be a bad option as he is a proven shooter - but not for his contract and not for Jennings. SVG is way too smart to let this happen...

However, the rumors about Draymond Green and his willingness to sign with the Pistons does excite me if Monroe happens to leave. I think he would be a GREAT fit at the PF position next to Dre - he can stretch the floor and is a blue collar banger when needed....

NBA lottery pick

I really like Green too. I don't think that move makes us a contender. We really need a lottery pick too. Not that that makes the Pistons an immediate contender either. Then we would just need some time for the younger guys to learn to play.

But I don't want BOTH Green and Monroe, it's one or the other. And to Green's absolute credit - i'm not sure which one I would rather....

Whichever one is willing to sign on the longest I guess :P I like the fact he is from Michigan,

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I think it would be a horrible move to trade for Joe Johnson. Jennings was finally playing the best basketball of his career. Besides the fact that Jennings has a much better contract. I'm not sure who else Detroit would be forced to give up to match Johnson's salary but they would need to gut the team. It would also definitely mean Monroe is gone. This is such a bad idea is so many ways. I hope this is just a rumor and nothing more.
    Jennings has one year left on his deal and its pretty unlikely that he is effective next year, so he's not much of a factor.

Basically, they'd be saying they don't love the 2015 FA class and that they'd love to make the playoffs as soon as possible. I can't hate them for that. Johnson is still a very good player and his cap situation is minimal.

Also, we can still have 18 mil to play with with Johnson on the roster. Its not like it destroys our offseason.

Make a choice between Monroe and Green, draft Tyus Jones and see what you can do with that group. Look at SFs in 2016.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    Jennings has one year left on his deal and its pretty unlikely that he is effective next year, so he's not much of a factor.

Basically, they'd be saying they don't love the 2015 FA class and that they'd love to make the playoffs as soon as possible. I can't hate them for that. Johnson is still a very good player and his cap situation is minimal.

Also, we can still have 18 mil to play with with Johnson on the roster. Its not like it destroys our offseason.

Make a choice between Monroe and Green, draft Tyus Jones and see what you can do with that group. Look at SFs in 2016.
    How do you figure Jennings won't be effective? He's young, he'll heal. He was playing good ball. Joe Johnson is the ineffective one. I'd rather KCP have the minutes.

Everything that I've read says we wouldn't have that 18 million still. I don't see how we could. Johnson makes over 20 on his own.

Anyway, I saw today that the rumor had no truth to it.

Well.... After these trades, probably would have made sense to do jennings for Joe!!

Dre
    Moose
    Joe Johnson
    KCP
    Jackson

That team could make some serious noise.....

NBA lottery pick

Joe Johnson definitely couldn't be a full time SF. He could play it for short stretches but we're better off in the long run for that just being a rumor.

Better this season with the Johnson for Jennings trade now that we have jackson? 100%

Better in the long run? Probably not,

However, with Joe's big size for a wing player and his outside touch / ball handling, I can see him having some very handy role playing years at 33,34,35,36,37... Settling in to that 4th option / vetran leader type role

NBA lottery pick

Well, we're exactly where I really didn't want to be at. A team that has no chance to win a championship but fighting for an 8 seed. It's the worst place to be at in basketball. I guess we can look forward to mediocrity for a while. Of course that's what Detroit fans have all wanted anyhow.

Not at all - i'm banking on being able to build a championship contending team around 21 year old phenom Dre. For me, it's all about securing complimentry pieces that have high character, high motor and bring certain skillsets to SVG's vision. Detroit was never going to be a quick fix, I'm ok with that - we have 2 to 3 more years of tweeking player personnel and settling on the team we make a serious championship push with.

If the Hawks are anything to go off - they were mediocre for 7 or 8 years before they turned elite this year...

Pistons have one of the more younger and exciting rosters going around, i'm glad to be apart of the uprise - i'm feeling a whole lot better than I did 6 years ago when we started the downfall...

NBA lottery pick

I like what the Hawks have done but I don't consider them serious contenders. I think any team that comes out of the West would beat them. They play in a very weak Eastern conference. That's they're only chance of making it to the finals.

I can agree in saying that i'd take 3 or 4 teams in the west over the Hawks in a 7 game series, but I would still say the Hawks are elite. What they have been able to achieve this year has been incredible. If they keep this roster together for another 2 or 3 years they are only going to become more dangerous.

But yeah - if the Pistons use that as a blue print it would be a very good plan to follow. Even SVG's magic teams would be a great example of how we can become elite without a bunch of superstars... We are so young let's just let these guys develop, still too early to tell where the games of players like Dre and KCP will be when they are 24 / 25 years old...

NBA lottery pick

KCP has done far better than I thought he would this season. There's still a little hope for him. Honestly, he looks better out there than McLemore does right now. So I'm glad he'll not be losing minutes to Joe Johnson. Let the young guys develop still.

Well after the first season with Jennings, I had the feeling the Pistons had no real interest in keeping Jennings. Then, Pistons draft Dinwiddie and sign Augustin.

So why not trade him? Johnson would come off the books in 2016, leaving a huge amount of cap space. We'd go over the tax for a year signing Monroe, but Johnson could have played at the 2 or 3, same with KCP.

I feel like this Reggie Jackson signing has sealed Jennings fate. The longest he will be in Motown (if RJax resigns with us) is when his contract expires.