Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Why do people think point guards aren't supposed to shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
    You right.

Jason Kidd and Rajon Rondo did not win championships as the starting pgs for their respected teams. I was wrong. It was someone else. I digress.

Like I've said, I'm not trying to convince anyone, just sharing my opinion and preference.
    Mario Chalmers and Derrick Fisher also won championship starting point guard for their respective teams as scoring point guards. Good insight.

Quote Originally Posted by I.R.Beast
    payton was a 22+ and 7 assists god...much like westbrook...payton was a scoring PG..let's not get it twisted.. Parker is a scoring PG...throughand through ...barely averages 6 assists for his career...
    I watched a ton of Gary Payton. I grew up in Oregon, watched him in college and the pros during the 90s and early 2000s.

Payton and Parker were never known for their shooting. Both were always below average shooters but both could get in the paint and finish like no other pgs I've seen. TP led the league in points in the paint one year.

We just see things differently. No biggy.

I admit Westbrook is a great pg, I just prefer CP3

National High School Star I.R.Beast's Avatar

I watched a ton of Gary Payton. I grew up in Oregon, watched him in college and the pros during the 90s and early 2000s.

Payton and Parker were never known for their shooting. Both were always below average shooters but both could get in the paint and finish like no other pgs I've seen. TP led the league in points in the paint one year.

We just see things differently. No biggy.

I admit Westbrook is a great pg, I just prefer CP3
    parker is not a below average shooter...his mid range jumper has been money for several years.. tony parker is a scorer and so was payton....the evidence is not in your favor

Quote Originally Posted by I.R.Beast
    parker is not a below average shooter...his mid range jumper has been money for several years.. tony parker is a scorer and so was payton....the evidence is not in your favor
    Ok

3-time NBA All-Star

LOL at billups. billups is not a superstar same with parker. Give me a superstar pg that won as the man. Those 2 clearly won because they have teammates as good as them. Compare that to isiah and magic who clearly were the man on their teams. And honestly, score first pgs hasnt won since the creation of this league. At least pure pgs won. And rondo would too if not for the refs.

Dunking on everybody in the park The Iron Sheik's Avatar

Can you name a scoring pg in the last 15 years who led his team to a championship?

That's the point, it almost never happens. So cool, if you want lots of points and cool dunks then fine. If u think that means you know basketball better than me, fine.
    why the last 15 years? you talk as if points guards who scored, have never been close to a championship or have never won, which is patently false.

how many "scoring" point guards have been on championship caliber teams the last 15 years outside of westbrook and rose?

and let me reiterate, i'm not saying guys like westbrook (since he's being brought up so much) are perfect pgs. i'm not even arguing that a point guard scoring a lot is the "right" way to play. i'm merely saying that idk where all of this "pure pg" talk comes from like a point guard who sits around and passes all day is the norm, and point guards who score a lot are now "shooting guards in a point guard's body"/. history shows that isn't the case. every hof point guard save for stockton and nash (the only 2 examples people always bring up because they're the only 2 exeptions) has been a big time scorer. there are very few all time great pgs who weren't great scorers as well.

because PG's are easy to shutdown when the game is on the line.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik
    and let me reiterate, i'm not saying guys like westbrook (since he's being brought up so much) are perfect pgs. i'm not even arguing that a point guard scoring a lot is the "right" way to play. i'm merely saying that idk where all of this "pure pg" talk comes from like a point guard who sits around and passes all day is the norm, and point guards who score a lot are now "shooting guards in a point guard's body"/. history shows that isn't the case. every hof point guard save for stockton and nash (the only 2 examples people always bring up because they're the only 2 exeptions) has been a big time scorer. there are very few all time great pgs who weren't great scorers as well.
    Jordan is a great all around player. he can average 10apg if he wants to. Its one thing to be great all around but its another thing to play all roles because you are great at it. And thats what separates a magic/jordan to bran/iverson. One is a team player and the other is a statpadder. Because just like a QB not being compatible to a receiver, same is true for a pg and a scorer. Imagine your QB being the receiver. Youre just not going to win that way. And that is why despite iversons or robertsons MVP. These guys only manage 1 50+ win season throughout their careers. And thats because aside from being easy to shutdown, teammates dont like to play with these selfish statpadders.
    Last edited by knicksman; 02-11-2015 at 06:53 AM.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    Jordan is a great all around player. he can average 10apg if he wants to. Its one thing to be great all around but its another thing to play all roles because you are great at it. And thats what separates a magic/jordan to bran/iverson. One is a team player and the other is a statpadder. Because just like a QB not being compatible to a receiver, same is true for a pg and a scorer. Imagine your QB being the receiver. Youre just not going to win that way. And that is why despite iversons or robertsons MVP. These guys only manage 1 50+ win season throughout their careers. And thats because teammates dont like to play with these selfish statpadders.

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    Jordan is a great all around player. he can average 10apg if he wants to. Its one thing to be great all around but its another thing to play all roles because you are great at it. And thats what separates a magic/jordan to bran/iverson. One is a team player and the other is a statpadder. Because just like a QB not being compatible to a receiver, same is true for a pg and a scorer. Imagine your QB being the receiver. Youre just not going to win that way. And that is why despite iversons or robertsons MVP. These guys only manage 1 50+ win season throughout their careers. And thats because aside from being easy to shutdown, teammates dont like to play with these selfish statpadders.
    why do you keep making football comparisons when they aren't comparable to basketball at all?

Decent college freshman

Isiah Thomas career per-game averages (almost identical to per-36):

19 points, 16 attempts, 9 assists.