Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 04-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #121
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Default Re: 2018 Off Season Thread

Rumors going that Dallas is trying to work a trade for Earl Thomas and releasing Dez was to free up cap space for that.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #122
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

We don't need Dez... or an immediate replacement for him. We need to draft a WR, but I'm not so sure it has to be in the first round.

How many times did Garrett run 5-Wide? How many times are we going to run Zeke? How much separation could Dez get for a young QB who isn't as accurate as Tony Romo? And if we are going to run non-stop play-action, is Dez the type of WR needed for that game plan?

We could use a guy similar to Brandin Cooks (who is a FA in 2019), or we need to start running two-TE-formations...

If the Cowboys drafted Will Hernandez, and then maybe traded up to get to get a player like Hayden Hurst or Dallas Goedert (without giving up too much)... I would be very happy on the offensive side of the ball.

Cortland Sutton is interesting, but I don't think we need that big prototypical possession WR with Jason Garrett at the helm. We need to give Dak options, not one main target, but several deep threats. A player like Christian Kirk could slip into 2nd round... maybe he's an option.

Hurns, Williams, Thompson, and Beasley are still decent weapons for a game plan that doesn't depend on the pass. It's not good, but it's serviceable. As far as the defense goes... we are screwed, but if we can consistently win the time of possession battle running Zeke... maybe we'll be ok.

We had to cut Dez NOW if we want any hopes of keeping D.Lawrence and Z.Martin next year. We are paying both of them about $26 million and both need new contracts.

We can get a WR like Martavius Bryant in FA next year for $6 million like we did with Hurns, and who knows, maybe he'll fit the scheme better.... but we have to find a replacement for Witten by the time 2019 rolls around. Dak still has a few more years of getting us 6 rushing TDs a season, but eventually we'll need him to settle down in the pocket.

Could be a rough future for the Boys... it's all on Zeke's shoulders.

Last edited by Doomsday Dallas : 04-15-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:17 PM   #123
ROCSteady
One of One

Not to mention Dak isn't that good
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:33 PM   #124
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Not to mention Dak isn't that good

but he's black... and that's what's important.

and when you have a young black QB, you can expect him to pick up a few of those first downs on his own.

I'm kinda hoping Dez becomes a Redskin... doubt it will happen.

Texans may be a good fit for him.

Last edited by Doomsday Dallas : 04-15-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #125
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

we cut Dez Bryant

Shango agrees.... we don't necessarily need to draft WR in the first round.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:21 PM   #126
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Cowboys have 60+ million cap space next year they can easily afford both Martin and Lawrence. Cutting Dez now didn't magically make that possible.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:58 AM   #127
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Cowboys have 60+ million cap space next year they can easily afford both Martin and Lawrence. Cutting Dez now didn't magically make that possible.

I guess that depends on when Dak gets his 9-figure contract.

You can not give Martin and Lawrence huge contracts in 2019, when you know you have to give Dak $20+ mil in 2020.

we deal with the cap hit now... instead of 2019, so we can potentially still make a few moves in FA in addition to keeping our young talent.

Martin and Lawrence are 2 of the top 10 NFL Free Agents in 2019. They are going to command top dollar. Maybe you can backload those contracts, but they are both going to be making significant money.

You may be able to keep Dez in 2018, resign Martin and Lawrence in 2019... but you're not gonna have much room to do anything else, especially with Dak's contract right around the corner.

Also, I don't think that $60+ million figure includes Byron Jones 5th year option which is another $8 mil.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:35 AM   #128
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

IMO Cowboys absolutely made the right move letting go of Dez. Anybody who watched him play last season saw that he has lost quite a bit of his athleticism, which is was huge problem considering he is a guy who has always been 100% reliant on athleticism to make plays. Guys like Larry Fitzgerald can use their route running and football IQ to get open as their athleticism fades, but Dez doesnt have anything else to fall back on. Last year Dez struggled mightily to get open, and thats only going to get worse from here.

Even if Dez does have some gas left in his tank, generally speaking its always better to let go of an expensive guy a bit early, rather than paying him until he is over the hill and useless.

If I was Dallas I would be going hard after Earl Thomas and any promising pass Rushers that are available. With their dominant offensive line and Elliot, I think they should be building toward a defensively focused ground-and-pound/time-of-possession style team, kind of like the Marshawn era Seahawks.

Last edited by Nanners : 04-16-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #129
Duderonomy
Josh Allen get em

Dez would be a good fit in New Orleans, GB, or even Buffalo if they land Josh Allen.
Duderonomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #130
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

We can still fix this team by 2019... it's still possible.

We draft Rashaan Evans this year to team up with LEE and J.SMITH
Go CB or DT in the second round.

2019:
bring in UFA Earl Thomas.
sign a midrange veteran defensive player to fill any holes.
draft best TE available round 1.
draft best Defensive Player Available round 2.
keep Martin & Lawrence.

sprinkle in late round draft picks on the offensive side of the ball (this year and next) WR/G/OT and pray we hit on something.

I think Garrett & Jones have a plan to go for it 2019, and anything less than a NFC championship game appearance in the next two years will finally close the door on the Jason Garrett era. Finally.

The goal for the Cowboys this year is to make playoffs.

Next year will be another Super Bowl or bust type season like 2014 and 2016.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #131
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

October 21!

Road trip with the fam to see Trubisky light it up.

Btw this is 8 straight years now that the Bears have played a primetime game at Lambeau. I know I made a post about something similar to that last year but wow that's ridiculous. Trubisky takes the torch Week 1! Fck Rodgers.
ballinhun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #132
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinhun8
Btw this is 8 straight years now that the Bears have played a primetime game at Lambeau. I know I made a post about something similar to that last year but wow that's ridiculous. Trubisky takes the torch Week 1! Fck Rodgers.

How is that ridiculous? The two teams are drenched with history, and are ancient rivals with giant fanbases, if I was a NFL schedule creator this is exactly the type of game I would be looking to put in a primetime slot. As a fan I would much rather watch pack vs bears on a sunday or monday night than dolphins vs bills or texans vs colts or whatever other boring matchup... even if the bears are trash.

Last edited by Nanners : 04-22-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #133
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
How is that ridiculous? The two teams are drenched with history, and are ancient rivals with giant fanbases, if I was a NFL schedule creator this is exactly the type of game I would be looking to put in a primetime slot. As a fan I would much rather watch pack vs bears on a sunday or monday night than dolphins vs bills or texans vs colts or whatever other boring matchup... even if the bears are trash.

I mean ridiculous as in it is 8 years straight in Lambeau. I mean give us a little chance and put two or three games at Soldier Field. We already are at a disadvantage playing at Aaron's house.

This year it's a little different since we actually have offensive expectations and might as well start against the measuring stick for us.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #134
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinhun8
I mean ridiculous as in it is 8 years straight in Lambeau. I mean give us a little chance and put two or three games at Soldier Field. We already are at a disadvantage playing at Aaron's house.

This year it's a little different since we actually have offensive expectations and might as well start against the measuring stick for us.
but the bears have to play at lambeau every single year. is playing a night game instead the usual morning one really that much of a disadvantage?

high quality teams with big fanbases get the majority of primetime games, and the packers tick both those boxes...
Old 04-22-2018, 06:56 PM   #135
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
but the bears have to play at lambeau every single year. is playing a night game instead the usual morning one really that much of a disadvantage?

high quality teams with big fanbases get the majority of primetime games, and the packers tick both those boxes...

Most definitely it makes a difference.

You know guys get up more for primetime games. These guys are divas, they love the spotlight/being mic'd up/everyone watching aspect to these primetime games. I understand why the NFL would put a rivalry game (ala Pats/Steelers, any ndc East division game, Ravens/Steelers) on primetime, just wouldn't mind seeing the location of the game switched up every once in a while. 8 years is a long time bro lol.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: