Local High School Star alexthegod's Avatar

Default What the hell is Byron Scott Doing? Just for tamaraw08

1. At the beginning of the season he leaned heavily on the veterans trying desperately to win games. Even burning Kobe 30+ min 12 out of his first 15 games. Two thoughts. Why are you trying so hard to win? And at the expense of the the youngsters learning? and burning Kobe too hard?

2. Starting Clarkson and Russell together with Clarkson as the primary ball handler. Meanwhile Russell stands in a corner and watches. Russell is a point guard and you want him to run the offense, why is he standing in the corner? I'd rather him play with the second unit and handle the damn ball.

3. Benching Randle due to not enough hustle. He was the only guy with consistent motor. So if he has low energy a few games, I have no issue with cutting down his minutes and giving him a break even taking him out of the starting lineup for a few games. But calling him out through the media for not playing hard enough. Holy crap batman!

4. He seems to have planted a seed in Russell that any turnover is bad and will result in less playing time. Point guards are going to turn the ball over, but you still need them to be aggressive and play through it.

5. Where the hell is the pick and roll for Russell? Especially early in the year.

6. What a horrible example to let Kobe go out there and do whatever the hell he wants with no consequence , but when Russell scores 18 points with 5 assists, all he can say is man he had 3 turnovers, thats too much. meanwhile Kobe shoots 5-25, but thats ok, he's Kobe.

7. Thankfully the team went into the tank very early and forced Byron to play the kids.

Heres hoping the Lakers can finish in the bottom 2 and keep their draft pick

GO KIDS!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

Default Re: What the hell is Byron Scott Doing? Just for tamaraw08

This season is about Kobe retiring and his farewell tour... Lakers trying to get as much interest and revenue as possible so I think this is at the front-office direction.. its about the $$$ if you ask me...

But yeah, I do agree.

I agree with just making the cash grab then figuring it out after Kobe is gone.

And by the way, I am not necessarily defending Byron Scott... He seems to be stuck in his own era and I wonder if he can even relate to the new "millenia" kids...

NBA lottery pick

I've also seen some reports that Russell has a huge ego and if they gave him big minutes it would possibly get out of control and hurt his development. Apparently he feels entitled to the minutes rather than earning them. I'd like to see him play more, but there must be something going on.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I've also seen some reports that Russell has a huge ego and if they gave him big minutes it would possibly get out of control and hurt his development. Apparently he feels entitled to the minutes rather than earning them. I'd like to see him play more, but there must be something going on.
    That's interesting, you definitely cannot let the inmates run the asylum.

Today's athlete is much different than even 5 to 10 years ago... ego and entitlement are just a part of it...

But that is not a reason to stall his development IMO.

Leerning how to work with the new kids is not easy, but necessary. Every generation is diferent.

NBA lottery pick

I think this exceeds the normal ego and entitlement of the younger athletes though. I've seen multiple reports of it. I would think Kobe would check him if it was that bad though. Usually that's what the veteran players are for...

I think this exceeds the normal ego and entitlement of the younger athletes though. I've seen multiple reports of it. I would think Kobe would check him if it was that bad though. Usually that's what the veteran players are for...
    Not being argumentative about Russell's attitude, have you or anyone seen any articles about this? I'd like to understand more.

NBA lottery pick

This is the last quote I saw in the rumors a few days ago.

[QUOTE] Later Wednesday, Scott further critiqued Russell by saying the former Ohio State standout is not as mature as other top-flight rookie point guards Scott coached, such as Kyrie Irving in Cleveland and Chris Paul in New Orleans.

This is the last quote I saw in the rumors a few days ago.
    I'm intrigued as to whether Scott was consulted at all in picking Russell.
    BTW, the Kyrie/Scott combo was DISASTROUS and look at Irving now.. Take out CP3 and Kidd and Scott's record would be too embarrasing to put here as compared to Thib's record minus Rose.
    Having said, that I felt before Byron was a safe pick and I still say that he is not that stupid. I just hate it when he acts like he earned the right to trash his own players to the media. "Not playing good defense" as the reason why Lin and Russell would not play more minutes and yet THEY STILL SUCK ON DEFENSE!
    Early last season, he said he'll prefer to take it inside and would discourage 3pt shooting which lead me to believe that he had trouble adapting to the new rules and systems etc. But I am alse appalled at the decision of the MGT to NOT HIRE VETERAN ASSISTANTS who are reputable.
    Rivers have TWO NOT ONE!.
    Kerr has Ron Adams who is the top defensive minds who was Thibs main assistant when they were winning without Rose.
    OKC grabbed Monty as soon as he was let go by the Pelicans.
    Stan Van Gundy is being assisted by Brendan Malone etc etc etc.
    Lastly, I was shocked that there are TWO PEOPLE HELPING Kawhi Leonard. Including Chip Engelland, one the best shooting gurus in the leage. AGain, NOT one but TWO!!!! Who is helping our young players be better?
    This is the LA Lakers for crying out loud , Can't Buss outbid for the services of these shooting gurus and other trainers?

NBA lottery pick

I never really thought about that but those are great points. Of course people have been saying forever the Lakers are stuck in the old ways of thinking in basketball.

I never really thought about that but those are great points. Of course people have been saying forever the Lakers are stuck in the old ways of thinking in basketball.
    OLD WAYS?

Lakers back had the best VP in Jerry West.
    Hired the best trainer IMO, Gary Vitti.
    They need a great coach? fine, Hire Phil.
    Phil demanded to hire Tex and his old assistants, Fine, lets hire them.
    Phil wanted a great strength and conditioning coach, fine, hire him too.
    Then what happened? They hire Mike Brown, ok? He wanted his chief assistant Mike Malone, but they were outbidded by GSW. Brown was exposed since then, both here and in Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    I'm intrigued as to whether Scott was consulted at all in picking Russell.
    BTW, the Kyrie/Scott combo was DISASTROUS and look at Irving now.. Take out CP3 and Kidd and Scott's record would be too embarrasing to put here as compared to Thib's record minus Rose.
    Having said, that I felt before Byron was a safe pick and I still say that he is not that stupid. I just hate it when he acts like he earned the right to trash his own players to the media. "Not playing good defense" as the reason why Lin and Russell would not play more minutes and yet THEY STILL SUCK ON DEFENSE!
    Early last season, he said he'll prefer to take it inside and would discourage 3pt shooting which lead me to believe that he had trouble adapting to the new rules and systems etc. But I am alse appalled at the decision of the MGT to NOT HIRE VETERAN ASSISTANTS who are reputable.
    Rivers have TWO NOT ONE!.
    Kerr has Ron Adams who is the top defensive minds who was Thibs main assistant when they were winning without Rose.
    OKC grabbed Monty as soon as he was let go by the Pelicans.
    Stan Van Gundy is being assisted by Brendan Malone etc etc etc.
    Lastly, I was shocked that there are TWO PEOPLE HELPING Kawhi Leonard. Including Chip Engelland, one the best shooting gurus in the leage. AGain, NOT one but TWO!!!! Who is helping our young players be better?
    This is the LA Lakers for crying out loud , Can't Buss outbid for the services of these shooting gurus and other trainers?
    Sometimes the staff around the head coach is more important than the head coach! It seems Scott has not had the best success with young point guards.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMike
    Not being argumentative about Russell's attitude, have you or anyone seen any articles about this? I'd like to understand more.

D