Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Home of the 16

Exclamation Laker News: Lakers Sign Kendall Marshall

Link: http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-n...ll/2013/12/19/

Desperate for a point guard with the injuries to Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Steve Blake and Jordan Farmar, the Los Angeles Lakers signed former Phoenix Suns lottery pick Kendall Marshall.

Marshall was playing for the Delaware 87ers in the NBA Development League, averaging 19.7 points and 9.6 assists per game. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports was the first to report the Lakers signed the former North Carolina point guard.

Marshall played one season with the Suns before being traded to the Washington Wizards apart of the Marcin Gortat trade in October. Released immediately after the deal, the Lakers look to be taking a chance on the young point guard with the return of Farmar close to a week away.

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Laker News: Lakers Sign Kendall Marshall

I really like this signing. He was the top rated PG in his draft class. It'll be good to see if he can play. I like that they're going after some youth and someone with potential. He really didn't get a fair chance in Phoenix.

Home of the 16

I heard he was never really given a chance in PHX.

Edit: I just read your last sentence. lol

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

Low risk/low expectations and potentially high reward, depends what is expected of him, unreliable shooting apparently, not that quick but can pass brilliantly and great court vision, number one thing a PG should do is facilitate/pass ubt seems he isn't good at much else, who knows he isn't old/didn't have much time put into him in Phoenix only had like 16 minutes a game.

Not airballing my layups anymore Da Kobester's Avatar

With Kobe, Nash and Blake out and If this young buck pans out it wouldn't hurt to keep him around longer as a backup pg behind Farmar till they get their troops back 1 by 1.

Where is Smush Parker when you need him?
    But seriously, Im at a loss on why they don't want to sign Barbosa as Leandro played well with MDA system before.

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    But seriously, Im at a loss on why they don't want to sign Barbosa as Leandro played well with MDA system before.
    I thought he would have been good last year as well but they didn't sign him then either, he's not a traditional point guard but he's flashy, he's quick and can at times score too, just he's not really a passing point guard but he'd be worth it if they wanted a point guard to contribute now anyway.

Although I am at times a rather vocal critic of D'Antoni and stand by my critiques of him as a coach one thing he tends to do at times is that he can rejuvenate lost guards (Henry this year, Lin before among others), because his system is designed for such well reliance and bias for guards over big's it can at times help young guards, hopefully it does this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers91
    Although I am at times a rather vocal critic of D'Antoni and stand by my critiques of him as a coach one thing he tends to do at times is that he can rejuvenate lost guards (Henry this year, Lin before among others), because his system is designed for such well reliance and bias for guards over big's it can at times help young guards, hopefully it does this time.
    Don't forget Farmar too. After his stint with the Nets, ... all 30 teams last year chose to ignore his availability.
    But Steve Blake to me was also big... don't have the numbers but they Im betting they have a pretty good winning % with MDA, when Blake plays starting from last year.

NBA lottery pick

While his system definitely does favor guards, at the PG position it's really guys who can run the pick and roll effectively that excel the most. If Marshall is strong in that area he should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    While his system definitely does favor guards, at the PG position it's really guys who can run the pick and roll effectively that excel the most. If Marshall is strong in that area he should be fine.
    I agree with that, it's just the shooting that worries me, Nash was so effective now don't get me wrong saying Marshall is Nash but Nash, Lin, even for a year Duhon were so effective because of both the PnR and could decently shoot (Lin and Duhon very inconsistent still but could do it enough to be effective I suppose) and could drive and dish, Nash of course arguably the greatest shooter overall (driving, 3 point shooting, midrange, free throws) etc ever, if you can run the PnR and pass as from highlights Marshall certainly can pass but is limited at the rest, but at least he has the mentality to pass you aren't born as a gifted passer/court vision or IQ, so at least he has those, shooting well you want it but I think you can remodel shooting actions to a degree.

Don't forget Farmar too. After his stint with the Nets, ... all 30 teams last year chose to ignore his availability.
    But Steve Blake to me was also big... don't have the numbers but they Im betting they have a pretty good winning % with MDA, when Blake plays starting from last year.
    Yeah forgot to add Farmer, I'm not sure with Blake he's been good but he's probably been better and underrated for a little longer than D'Antoni's reign but more so in glimpses I remember he did quite well vs the Nuggets back 2 seasons ago or 2011-2012 round 1 playoffs he was good then, just now he's more consistent, he was decent before he became a Laker just kind of lost it for a little while it seems.

Not airballing my layups anymore Da Kobester's Avatar

[QUOTE=tamaraw08]Where is Smush Parker when you need him?
    But seriously, Im at a loss on why they don't want to sign Barbosa as Leandro played well with MDA system before.[/QUOTE

Both Barbosa and D.J. Agustin was available but I'm guessing Lakers wanted to go the cheap (salary) route by signing Kendall Marshall after all this is a throw away year right? So why not sign a poor man Smush Parker to run the point.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Da Kobester
    Both Barbosa and D.J. Agustin was available but I'm guessing Lakers wanted to go the cheap (salary) route by signing Kendall Marshall after all this is a throw away year right? So why not sign a poor man Smush Parker to run the point.
    And I think they made the right decision. Of the 3 I would say Marshall has the most upside. I would say he's the only one who would have a chance to stick long term possibly as well. Augustin and Barbosa will both be lucky to survive another season where they may have a chance of making a roster.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    And I think they made the right decision. Of the 3 I would say Marshall has the most upside. I would say he's the only one who would have a chance to stick long term possibly as well. Augustin and Barbosa will both be lucky to survive another season where they may have a chance of making a roster.
    It makes more sense to try Marshall in my opinion because of like you said the upside, the Front office I hope is planning or looking to build another contender in 1-2 years whether they think they can get one big free agent this year or next or after Kobe's new massive contract is done, I think the younger plays have basically been auditioning in a way for a long term deal, giving young players kind of a last chance, Wes Johnson for example thought to be just about done, Henry delisted or contract not renewed by NO now Marshall essentially giving players a chance because it's a throw away year in my opinion to see if they can contribute long term at least I hope anyway.