Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: Seriously Derrick Rose can be Allen Iverson if he tried

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    He was tall enough to allow AI play PG on D, enabling him to play SG on offense.
    my point is that if they would have built a more balanced team, not just four defensive players around AI they might have been champs.

Or you could also say "they made the Finals cause they build the team around a sub 6 foot 2-guard".
    You know only two teams made the Finals, right? It's not like losing there was a failure for that team.

I don't disagree with this. See my previous statement, but the fact remains, they could have been a more balanced complete team instead of a very predictable one with AI playing Superman every night at 6'0".

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    my point is that if they would have built a more balanced team, not just four defensive players around AI they might have been champs.
    How many balanced teams fail every year?
    And you talk like it's easy to build the right team... It's not like those sixers had trade pieces...

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    I don't disagree with this. See my previous statement, but the fact remains, they could have been a more balanced complete team instead of a very predictable one with AI playing Superman every night at 6'0".
    I think they simply played their cards the best they could.

Allen Iverson had a lot of swag. Which made him appear better than he really was. Still an all-time great.

Derrick Rose is the best point guard in the league right now. You can tell the effort he gives each night, he lays it all out each night. Not many players in the NBA do that.

How many balanced teams fail every year?
    And you talk like it's easy to build the right team... It's not like those sixers had trade pieces...

I think they simply played their cards the best they could.

Hey you make some strong points man I'm just playing Devil's advocate.

I don't think Iverson was a cancer or a bad player he is one of my personal favorites.

I just think maybe becoming the best little man scorer ever got in the way of him being the best player he could have been and more of a winner, but who knows, he could have done those things (I described earlier) and still not gottten a ring

Good college starter HorryIsMyMVP's Avatar

I'm still not buying into the Derrick Rose mantra of doing whatever it takes to win. He hasn't played as a pass first at all this year or any year. So I guess as long as he is needed to jack it up, he will be happy.

I rule the local playground Chicago Brawls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HorryIsMyMVP
    I'm still not buying into the Derrick Rose mantra of doing whatever it takes to win. He hasn't played as a pass first at all this year or any year. So I guess as long as he is needed to jack it up, he will be happy.
    You shall be surprised sooner or later.

Taking into account the injuries, if it wasn't for him we would have had a reversed record (14-28).

Rose looks to pass first. He dishes +10 "assists" per game. If his teammates make the shots you will see that number on the boxscore. If they missed them (more often then not) you will see Rose with 30 plus points.

He just wants to "ween".

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Brawls
    You shall be surprised sooner or later.

Taking into account the injuries, if it wasn't for him we would have had a reversed record (14-28).

Rose looks to pass first. He dishes +10 "assists" per game. If his teammates make the shots you will see that number on the boxscore. If they missed them (more often then not) you will see Rose with 30 plus points.

He just wants to "ween".
    That is great but A.I. got wins to. Doesn't make him a winner. Winners like to win as a team.

AI's stats were sort of inflated since he had the ball in his hands so much. many of their possessions either resulted in a AI shot, a fast break or pass late in the shot clock. an all-time great, awesome in his prime, but he also had some real lackluster playoff performances.

rose is more of a cross of AI/wade. rose loves the pick n' pop, he's very effective in it but it would be nice to see him make some sleek passes in those areas. he had to compensate for some scoring this season and he's certainly a shoot first PG. i think all that will level out but he needs to cool off on his 3 point shooting even though he's improved a lot, he's no ray allen.

That is great but A.I. got wins to. Doesn't make him a winner. Winners like to win as a team.
    Sure. The thing is, Chicago can only win as a team as of right now.

Only when the team it's not responding, Derrick takes more shots.

That's a leader in my book.

Sure. The thing is, Chicago can only win as a team as of right now.

Only when the team it's not responding, Derrick takes more shots.

That's a leader in my book.
    I don't know how you figured that out. I see literally no evidence of Rose ever building team chemistry with the Bulls. Rose can't make mediocre players seem better then they actually are. He is basically like a Kobe Bryant. Bring him a big man that can rebound and occasionally he might defer.

I don't know how you figured that out. I see literally no evidence of Rose ever building team chemistry with the Bulls. Rose can't make mediocre players seem better then they actually are. He is basically like a Kobe Bryant. Bring him a big man that can rebound and occasionally he might defer.
    Team chemistry? Make mediocre players seem better?

There's a reason Derrick Rose was number 1 pick three years ago. Chicago Bulls team sucked.

In his first year, in his rookie year he took a poor team to a epic game 7 with the future champs. Thats evidence he made a mediocre team perform better then expected.

We are 28-14. We played 9 games fully healthy. Derrick averaged in those games 11 assists. Without Boozer and Noah we are only winning because of (said lack) of team chemistry.

Team chemistry? Make mediocre players seem better?

There's a reason Derrick Rose was number 1 pick three years ago. Chicago Bulls team sucked.

In his first year, in his rookie year he took a poor team to a epic game 7 with the future champs. Thats evidence he made a mediocre team perform better then expected.

We are 28-14. We played 9 games fully healthy. Derrick averaged in those games 11 assists. Without Boozer and Noah we are only winning because of (said lack) of team chemistry.
    You have a good record because D-Rose is an unstoppable scoring beast that rarely defers to his awful team. We talking about practice? How is PRACTICE going to make my TEAM MATES BETTER?!?!?

Okay i didnt post anything so far but this is time i can't just let it go.Have you ever watched Iverson in prime? Allen Iverson in prime was the only player in the league unguardable except Shaq.I think he dropped 30 points in one half against 2001 Lakers in Finals.He won that the game almost by himself.And led his team to finals.Allen Iverson in prime was better than many legendary players but because of he never had push from David Stern, he is not respected today among teenagers.He was like rebel son of Stern when kobe was his 2nd Jordan.
    And Im a bulls fan.I have respect for Derrick Rose..I'm very glad he is a great player and i hope will be even better than iverson but its not easy.Don't say next iverson everytime you see fast,agile,shorter guard with scoring skills.Its same like saying "Next MJ" for every scorer athletic guard.

Quote Originally Posted by KG5MVP
    It isn't hard to be an Allen Iverson, any good scorer can score at Iverson's numbers if they let go of their FG%, rebounding, assists, and defense.

If Derrick Rose decided to become selfish and a cancer, he can focus purely on scoring, ignore passing, defense, team work, and most importantly, his efficiency. He can shoot 8 more shots per game that gets him to 30+ PPG, and his fg% would drop to Iverson's career average of 43%.

It isn't hard to be an Iverson. Heck, Westbrook, Deron Williams, and alot other players can be Iverson too by chucking alot and ignore teamwork and defense.
    It isn't hard to be an Iverson? Look at guys like Nick Young, JR Smith, etc. who have the instant offense type mindset that AI had. You see how they always tend to be in their coaches dog-house? Its because even for an insanely talented offensive player drives their coaches crazy with some of the shots they take. AI managed to stay on his coaches good side enough to be allowed, no make that encouraged to take 25+ shots a game because thats what was best for his team.

Now instead of being 6'6 like those guys imagine that your only 6' tall and weigh about 165 at most. Doesn't sound too easy does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Just a few years ago, 2008 ...

This was basically his averages when he was with the Nuggets (and was their best player too) ... he toned down the chucking, upped the passing a little more and the Nuggets were better for it.

If only he still played defense and maturity and age set in for him at some point.

But alas the next year he got into boozing and gambling and the rest is history.
    Do you really think AI only just started drinking and gambling when he was traded to the Pistons? I can guarantee you he has been a partier since at least his days at Georgetown. Just because the details of his indiscretions just became public then does not mean that is when they started.

As far as offense (and assists, which is what we're talking about), West >>>> Mutombo.
    And Mutombo was a midseason trade...
    Iverson had Theo Ratliff who was an All Star before the injury . He was almost as good as Dikembe Mutombo that year