Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Lebronyte Kryptonite

Default Re: Shaq Statue Before Kobe's?

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    A lot of Laker fans won't like it if there's a Shaq statue. They hate him.
    Yet another blatant lie from jstern. What else is new?

Quote Originally Posted by funnystuff
    you're*

it doesn't matter...

[COLOR="White"]( I know)[/COLOR]

Local High School Star TheeBeast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DTreats
    I think Kobe and Shaq will get one statue together, I don't think either of them did enough without the other to warrant single statues, together they were unstoppable.

I think that's how these two will be remembered and a statue would be great.
    THIS

Learning to shoot layups

For those who are saying Shaquille should get a statue don't know the meaning behind theses statues. Currently Gretzky, Magic, Chick, Oscar and soontobe Kareem are the only ones with statues outside staples. They all have one thing in common, all are LA sports legends. It's not just about stats, it's about represent the city. When people think of La sports history, these are the names that are synonymous with LA. Bases on these merits, I believe Kobe will have his own statue one day. Kareem didn't spend his whole career has a lakers, but people forget his Ucla career. 4 straight NCAA championship. Many consider him has the greatest college basketball player ever.
    Last edited by lakers1978; 08-29-2012 at 03:59 PM.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    A lot of Laker fans won't like it if there's a Shaq statue. They hate him.
    You don't know what you're talking about. They hated him, but that was in the past. Lakers fans were over Shaq, as was the franchise, pretty much soon after the trade. We were really done with him after the 3 straight finals runs and 2 chips.

Here's the thing about the Lakers: No player is bigger than the team. Not Shaq, not Kobe, not Magic, not anyone. It's a machine that keeps on churning out championship caliber teams no matter what. As Buss showed Shaq, you **** with the owner, he will not put up with it.

You want to see how well run the organization is? Look at the fall-out of the vetoed CP3 trade. For most franchises a trade like that is a monumental moment in franchise history. The Houston Rockets still haven't recovered from that veto, and their GM was quoted as saying it set them back 3 years.

The Lakers? The CP3 veto will be just a footnote in their history. They just keep on moving. Brush the shoulders off and keep it moving

My point is that the Shaq break-up might be a point fans of other teams would never live down, but not Lakers fans. He's a big dude, but the Lakers shadow makes him but a bit player in a huge orchestra. Shaq will be shown love by Lakers fans when his jersey goes up in the rafters, because Lakers fans aren't that petty. We appreciate greatness, and Shaq learned a lesson after becoming a joke his last years in the league: there is no franchise out there as well run and with as good a winning culture as the Lakers. That is why he has changed his tune.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by dajadeed
    You don't know what you're talking about. They hated him, but that was in the past. Lakers fans were over Shaq, as was the franchise, pretty much soon after the trade. We were really done with him after the 3 straight finals runs and 2 chips.

Here's the thing about the Lakers: No player is bigger than the team. Not Shaq, not Kobe, not Magic, not anyone. It's a machine that keeps on churning out championship caliber teams no matter what. As Buss showed Shaq, you **** with the owner, he will not put up with it.

You want to see how well run the organization is? Look at the fall-out of the vetoed CP3 trade. For most franchises a trade like that is a monumental moment in franchise history. The Houston Rockets still haven't recovered from that veto, and their GM was quoted as saying it set them back 3 years.

The Lakers? The CP3 veto will be just a footnote in their history. They just keep on moving. Brush the shoulders off and keep it moving

My point is that the Shaq break-up might be a point fans of other teams would never live down, but not Lakers fans. He's a big dude, but the Lakers shadow makes him but a bit player in a huge orchestra. Shaq will be shown love by Lakers fans when his jersey goes up in the rafters, because Lakers fans aren't that petty. We appreciate greatness, and Shaq learned a lesson after becoming a joke his last years in the league: there is no franchise out there as well run and with as good a winning culture as the Lakers. That is why he has changed his tune.
    Man, fuck the Lakers...

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    "Rings as the man" is a faux category. It's not even a real category, yet people throw it out as a statistical category. Does anyone outside of ISH and similar sites comprised of a tiny fraction of hardcore elitist fans care about this? This is a rhetorical question. No one does. Rings are rings. Walk into the local sports bar tonight and ask people how many rings Kobe, or for that matter Shaq or Magic or Kareem have. 5, 4, 5 and 6. It's hilarious how elitist fans obsess over a fictional category that is based on subjective factors and is irrelevant.
    This.

When Kobe comes up in a sports related conversation, I've never heard anyone say anything like "Kobe was carried by Shaq". He has 5 rings, end of story. The "lead dog" bullshit is completely overstated on ISH.

Quote Originally Posted by dajadeed

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    "Rings as the man" is a faux category. It's not even a real category, yet people throw it out as a statistical category. Does anyone outside of ISH and similar sites comprised of a tiny fraction of hardcore elitist fans care about this? This is a rhetorical question. No one does. Rings are rings. Walk into the local sports bar tonight and ask people how many rings Kobe, or for that matter Shaq or Magic or Kareem have. 5, 4, 5 and 6. It's hilarious how elitist fans obsess over a fictional category that is based on subjective factors and is irrelevant.

If it's only a "fictional category" on ISH, why are you getting so worked up about it?

College superstar

As a Bucks fan I find it absurd for both of them not to have a statue.

Shaq was definitively the best player in the league from 97-02. Here is the group of players who led the league in PER for 5 straight years:

Wilt
    Kareem
    Jordan
    Shaq
    LeBron

Thats the list.

I'm not equipped to tell a Laker fan how much Shaq hurt his legacy by playing for 5 other teams but given the choice of having Shaq for those years or Kobe for any 5 I think its a no brainer.

Lebronyte Kryptonite

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaeh
    If it's only a "fictional category" on ISH, why are you getting so worked up about it?
    So....if it's so "fictional," then why is it FAKE Jordan fans like you(nevaeh), (who are really undercover Lebron fans) are the ONLY ones who ALWAYS bring it up....then...huh?

All these two year olds have a tantrum that i said Shaq deserves a statue. I never said that he would get one, if you read my comments i blatantly said that he probably will not get one. I said that Kobe will. Its obvious Kobe will hes a legend in LA DUUUH. But that does not mean Shaq dosnt deserve one hes as deserving as anybody, because as i showed earlier only a small elite group of players have lead a team to a 3-peat.

And no Rings as the lead dog is not bullshit in this case when it is as clear as day that without Shaq on those teams they are not in any way shape or form championship teams. Everybody knows this. And NO it dosnt mean that Kobe only has two rings i think its quite clear to everybody that he has 5, he deserves credit for what he did on those three teams especially the last two and he fully deserves those rings. But they do not prop up his resume because those rings all come down to Shaq. Without Shaq those rings dont happen but take away kobe and replace him with a similar player and Shaq probably still wins championships, thats how dominate he was. P

He will get his jersey retired which is a very high honor but I dont think he will get a statue, at least not for a very long time, long after Kobe gets his.

Quote Originally Posted by Kews1
    All these two year olds have a tantrum that i said Shaq deserves a statue. I never said that he would get one, if you read my comments i blatantly said that he probably will not get one. I said that Kobe will. Its obvious Kobe will hes a legend in LA DUUUH. But that does not mean Shaq dosnt deserve one hes as deserving as anybody, because as i showed earlier only a small elite group of players have lead a team to a 3-peat.

And no Rings as the lead dog is not bullshit in this case when it is as clear as day that without Shaq on those teams they are not in any way shape or form championship teams. Everybody knows this. And NO it dosnt mean that Kobe only has two rings i think its quite clear to everybody that he has 5, he deserves credit for what he did on those three teams especially the last two and he fully deserves those rings. But they do not prop up his resume because those rings all come down to Shaq. Without Shaq those rings dont happen but take away kobe and replace him with a similar player and Shaq probably still wins championships, thats how dominate he was. P

not this again...

so Dominat he played on 8 50+ win teams without Kobe and won 1 gifted Title as fat wall...

he was so Dominant surely he could have won with Penny , Lebron or Nash..

meanwhile Kobe replaced him with a soft Euro and still went to 3 straight Finals

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    not this again...

so Dominat he played on 8 50+ win teams without Kobe and won 1 gifted Title as fat wall...

he was so Dominant surely he could have won with Penny , Lebron or Nash..

meanwhile Kobe replaced him with a soft Euro and still went to 3 straight Finals
    what a bullshit argument you idiot, you know as well as everybody else here (unless you started watching basketball yesterday) that when shaq was in LA was when he was in his prime. what a ****ing stupid thing to say, he got beaten by Hakeem Olajuwon in the finals, when he was in Cleveland he was old as hell and could barely do anything. How come you didnt mention when Kobe got replaced with Wade??? O YEA THATS RIGHT HE WON A ****ING CHAMPIONSHIP YOU ****ING DICKHEAD.