Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Summer League Thoughts

To start even though Drummond wasn't incredible, it was a decent first game. He did play better than Kanter, who was a higher draft pick last year and has more pro experience so that's a solid thing. I think summer league will be a good experience for Drummond. He still has a ways to go though.

I was disappointed by Daye but Singler played better than I thought he would. I would've liked to have seen a little more of Casper Ware. He's actually a very good player.

It really looks like Jones & Sullinger want to prove people wrong for not picking them. They had good games.

Well, we're only one game in. A lot can change. I love summer league!!!
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Summer League Thoughts

Another win today. Austin Daye redeemed himself against the Magic. With 24 points and 6 rebounds he certainly led the way. Singler looked like he did pretty good again today too. English wasn't as good and I expect a lot more consistency out of Brandon Knight. I think Knight is the type of player who needs to bring it every game. He should be killing summer league. Drummond was awful today.... 3 points and 3 rebounds. We all know he is a project that's going to take a while. He has a lot of learning to do. Good thing Wallace is coming back (probably) to provide some leadership there. Casper Ware got a little burn today, but he didn't do much with it. Macklin isn't going to make the roster this year.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Aussie Dunker has decent reputation

Why can't Daye do this every game!!! Looked so smooth and in control, he shows flashes of being a scoring / shooting BEAST - and then he disappears for the next 5 games.. Frustrating, but hopefully he is matured and ready this season..

Singler is going to be a great hustle guy for us - pure energy and grit with a great mid range game, he is going to be a crowd favorite...

English is going to be solid of the bench for us - didn't shoot to well in game 2 but you can see how open he gets and how good he is on the defensive end!

Drummond - to early to really say much - obviously very raw, but looks like he has extremely active hands which is great, needs to learn how to utilize his god like frame, he should be physically owning everybody in summer league..

Yancy Gates - PLEASE MAKE THE ROSTER! Love his size / bulk / strength, quite polished deep in the post, will be very handy for us...

Casper Ware - interesting...
Aussie Dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
dd24
College superstar

Daye had a very good game again. 18 pts, and shot the ball very well. It kind of feels like last summer league doesn't it? Daye was lights out last summer league and even in the preseason. Maybe this time he can actually keep this going into the regular season. The guy has always kind of reminded me of a poor man's Durant, if and when he actually plays up to his ability. He's a smooth scorer when his confidence is up. I really think this is a make or break season for him.

Brandon Knight hasn't been all that impressive thus far. He needs to shoot the ball better. I'd actually like to see him make everyone around him better. He doesn't need to take 17 shots. He should have been feeding everyone else the ball. That kinda scares me. The kid oozes potential and yet his summer league has been mediocre in my opinion. I was really hoping he would've expanded his game this offseason.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Just a casual 19 points and 14 assists for Knight today - controlled the entire game start to finish...

Drummond another 10 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks.. Showing some nice touch in the low paint which is great to see...

English and Middleton look to be steals in this draft, can both shoot and English is killing it on the boards for a guard (probably because he played pretty deep in his last year of college)... Rotation players from day 1 in my opinion..

Daye another smooth performance - like he has shown in the past 3 summer leagues, let's just hope it translates into the regular season... He would be ultra handy if he can develop into a 15ppg 6th man... He has all the tools - not holding my breath based on the past..
Old 07-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

The thing I like about what Drummond is doing is that he's blocking shots. That typically translates to the pro game. He's doing fairly good on the boards too which does as well.

Totally agree with Daye. He does this to us every summer league and many times even in the preseason. I'd love to see him carry this into the regular season for once. I really think he could average 20ppg during the regular season if he just kept his confidence up. He scores with ease.

Knight was great, but he did have 6 turnovers. That scares me a bit. I love that he actually racked up some assists today. That's what I've been waiting to see out of him.

I'm really not expecting much out of Middleton or English. They'll have a hard time getting any PT. Detroit just has too many young guys fighting for time. Middleton has to crack the lineup against Prince, Maggette, and Singleton. That's not easy. He'll be in the D-league.

For other teams, Alec Burks has been killing it for Utah and Plumlee has looked like a steal in the draft for the Pacers. I was kind of suprised how little pt Burks got last year. Utah really needed a SG to step up. It seems like they would have gave him a chance.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:33 AM   #7
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

I would rather give time to english and middleton to help develop them into our young core that will be taking us into the future than play 33 year old maggette... Just doesn't seem like it will help us long term.. I would love to have maggette in about 2/3 years time (33 year old version) when we may be competing for a top 4 seed in the East, but not now... Maggette would be best on a contending team in a 6th man role...

I am still a bit bummed that Quincey Miller wen't the pick before Middleton as I am sure we would of taken him... Think he is going to boom in this league someday...
Old 07-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #8
dd24
College superstar

I was crossing my fingers for Miller too.... that bummed me out, lol. That pick will be a steal.

As far as the young guys getting PT, you know I've been all for that for quite a while now. I just don't see our 2nd rounders being rotational guys. They've got some talent. I don't think they can take that to the next level. Neither of them are the next Lebron or Kobe...... and of course we don't expect that but neither is a true rotational guy either. Just as we were excited about Macklin last year, the same thing will happen this year.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

You were excited about Macklin?%$*! There wasn't much to choose from last year I guess..

The way English has carried himself in every media appearance so far leads me to believe he is ultra determined, passionate and mature beyond his years. He plays pesky defense and never takes a play off - he lead college hoops in taking charges, which will translate very well into the pros. And Middleton - Might not be as polished, and I concede he might be best suited for D-league this year (especially because i'm happy to see Daye and Singler develop), but it would appear he has a much higher ceiling than English. He is very long, very nice shooting touch from all over, very athletic, great D... But he is relatively raw - I wouldn't call him a project player, but 1 or 2 years of development will do him wonders..

Prince / Maggette / Daye / Singler / Middleton

I feel a trade coming on..
Old 07-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

I personally wasn't ever excited for Macklin, I just meant Pistons fans are always excited about 2nd round picks. I actually don't want a guy who takes a lot of charges. That always results in injuries and shortens your career. Charges are over rated.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #11
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I actually don't want a guy who takes a lot of charges. That always results in injuries and shortens your career. Charges are over rated.

I hear ya mate, I do.. Which is why players such as English I feel are even more valuable, because it is these players you want putting their bodies on the line to force a change in possession rather than our best 2 or 3 players...
Old 07-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #12
dd24
College superstar

It was interesting to see what happened in the Vegas summer league today. There were some guys that really lit it up.... Barnes, Motiejunas, Beal, Davis, etc, etc. There's a few teams out there with a ton of young talent. I like what Golden State has done with the draft the past few years.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: