Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Serious playground baller

Default Robinson vs. Ewing

Both are Hall of Famers and Olympians, but who was the better player?

I think you can make compelling arguments for both. But I think that Robinson was slightly better because of his athleticism and ability to do more things on the court.

Default Re: Robinson vs. Ewing

Admiral slightly.

NBA Superstar

With complete bias, I select Dave.

I am your soldier!

Robinson slightly, but I'd take Ewing if I were a GM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Robinson easily. Ewing was a great scorer but never close to the all-around player David was.

I remember having this conversation on youtube with a bunch of people. At 1st, on paper Robinson looked better, but after looking deeper into it, they all agreed that Ewing. So Ewing. Just heart alone Ewing. Ewing didn't need an Avery Johnson, a non superstar calling him out for being soft.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    I remember having this conversation on youtube with a bunch of people. At 1st, on paper Robinson looked better, but after looking deeper into it, they all agreed that Ewing. So Ewing. Just heart alone Ewing. Ewing didn't need an Avery Johnson, a non superstar calling him out for being soft.

Robinson did not love basketball like most other stars. I think it was a vehicle to other interests that he had. Ewing had a more consistent jumper, but he was never the rebounder and shot blocker Robinson was. Robinson also was an NBA IBM winner four times, a testament to his all around game.

Definitely David Robinson if we're talking about prime. But Ewing had greater longevity at an elite level and I think he's arguably ahead on the all-time list.

But Robinson in his prime was close to Hakeem...could have been even better.

Local High School Star

Robinson and it's not close. Teams led by Robinson did so well (they were almost always 55+ win good, apart from a couple of years where the coaching was in turmoil) that they too good for him ever to get any good help.
    Robinson has the better numbers, the MVP, frankly pretty much everything over Ewing.
    If Robinson lacked "heart" whilst leading the league in points, blocks and rebounds and coming top 5 in fg% and top 5 in steals, being the only center other than Shaq and Wilt to post an 30+ PER season, well thank goodness he wasn't really trying.

Ewing didn't win a title with Charles Oakley, Anthony Mason, John Starks and Derek Harper, if prime DR had a team that talented he would probably have had multiple rings in his prime.

the one with the MVP, DPOY award, rebounding title, scoring title, and championships.

Give me the Admiral, thank you

Great college starter

Robinson would have been the GOAT had he never been a big softie. Nobody could guard the guy. Nobody came close to his freak speed and strength. Only thing he lacked was back to the basket game. I think due mostly to not wanting to get physical. He was after all a freaking bible thumper.

Robinson

3-time NBA All-Star

How did they fare H2H?