Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Andre Drummond

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Andre Drummond

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei89
    Thing is, except for Embiid, none of them are 7 foot or higher. I would like to see a Hakeem, Shaq , D-rob type of Center who is very skilled and huge.

Drummond is smaller than Darantula.
    Hakeem was 6'10... as was Bill Russell.. and Moses Malone.. Strength/toughness>height

Quote Originally Posted by noob cake

Big men bust rates are at a historic high. Wasting a top 5 pick a on 29% FT shooter who can't stay out of foul trouble is asking to get fired.
    You're telling me you would have chosen Lillard, Waiters, or MKG over the second best big man of the entire draft? Even not knowing what you know now?

People should have learned their lesson with DeAndre Jordan. Drummond showed he could learn basketball. Back in the 80s most big men were projects. That's how you draft bigs.

Any incredibly athletic big man who is already skilled would go in the first couple picks. They don't come NBA ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    The Center position is back.

Embiid may very well be a great center, but let's not get carried away. He is averaging 10.7 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 1.3 apg, 2.5 bpg, .612 FG%, and a .667 FT% (albeit, in a little over 22 mpg.) But also keep in mind that the vast majority of the good college players are freshmen, and if he is facing a junior or senior, you can pretty much figure those players would never be NBA material. Hell, against 7-1 soph Isaiah Austin, in their two H2H's this year, he is averaging 8.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg, and on a .385 FG%.
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 02-15-2014 at 02:56 PM.

I am your soldier!

Drummond is being held back by that weird lineup in Detroit. I want them to trade someone and let him beast.

post moves. all that ridiculous power and athleticism will be 10x better when he can create his own shot

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Embiid may very well be a great center, but let's not get carried away. He is averaging 10.7 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 1.3 apg, 2.5 bpg, .612 FG%, and a .667 FT% (albeit, in a little over 22 mpg.) But also keep in mind that the vast majority of the good college players are freshmen, and if he is facing a junior or senior, you can pretty much figure those players would never be NBA material. Hell, against 7-1 soph Isaiah Austin, in their two H2H's this year, he is averaging 8.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg, and on a .385 FG%.
    Well, he's a freshman. Hakeem's freshmen stats weren't anything special either. His progress is actually going faster than anticipated.

Watching him this summer I thought he would remain somewhat below the radar his freshman year, with stats somewhat similar to Hakeem or Ewing's freshman year, and only really take off in his sophomore or even junior year. I thought he'd eventually go number 1, but with that kind of curve.
    Now, he hasn't had dominant stats, but he's been much more dominant and instantly productive when playing than expected - the problem so far has been foul trouble. More importantly, I underestimated how in today's age footage is instantly available everywhere and scouts are all over every player's move from a young age. People only needed to see him play a bit to draw the obvious conclusion - it was foolish of me to think that with this kind of ability he could remain "below the radar" for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Well, he's a freshman. Hakeem's freshmen stats weren't anything special either. His progress is actually going faster than anticipated.

Watching him this summer I thought he would remain somewhat below the radar his freshman year, with stats somewhat similar to Hakeem or Ewing's freshman year, and only really take off in his sophomore or even junior year. I thought he'd eventually go number 1, but with that kind of curve.
    Now, he hasn't had dominant stats, but he's been much more dominant and instantly productive when playing than expected - the problem so far has been foul trouble. More importantly, I underestimated how in today's age footage is instantly available everywhere and scouts are all over every player's move from a young age. People only needed to see him play a bit to draw the obvious conclusion - it was foolish of me to think that with this kind of ability he could remain "below the radar" for too long.
    I'm not arguing his potential. But, his freshman numbers, and in an era where freshmen are the best players in the college game, are not spectacular.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

You realize they don't play defense nor box out in that rising stars game. So don't be impressed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Hakeem was 6'10... as was Bill Russell.. and Moses Malone.. Strength/toughness>height
    Clearly, those players would have been forces in today's game, as well.

I find it fascinating that the best centers of the 60's get ripped all the time here, and yet the best centers in the current NBA are the 6-9.5 Howard, the 6-10 Drummond, and the 6-11 Jordan.

Makes you wonder how players like the 6-9 Willis Reed, who would be listed at 6-10 today; or the 6-11 Walt Bellamy and 6-11 Nate Thurmond, who would both be listed at 7-0+; or the 6-11 Lanier, again, at over seven-feet today; as well as the near 7-2 Wilt, and over 7-2 KAJ, and the 7-2 Gilmore...all three of whom would be listed at 7-3+ in today's game, would play today?

Quote Originally Posted by tpols

Hakeem was 7 feet tall no?

Not even close.

Hell, I am not even sure if he was a full 6-10.

BTW, Ben Wallace was listed at 6-9 in his career, and he himself, admitted to only being 6-7. And Kevin Love has been listed at 6-11 (now 6-10), but was measured at 6-8.

And the 7-4 Eaton towered over the 7-4 Sampson. In fact, Sampson was not even as tall as KAJ, who was just a shade under 7-2.

Banned

Old Dream standing behind Howard is quite clearly taller.

Howard leaning doe

all the pictures of him training with Dwight looks like theyre about the same height..

Quote Originally Posted by moe94

Old Dream standing behind Howard is quite clearly taller.

maybe an inch.. Dwights only 6'9 tho